Taking a car topper to Western Australia

Hello everyone,
We are off to WA later in the year and we were wondering if it was worthwhile taking our 12 foot car topper over for the inshore coastal and bay fishing. We will be visiting the coast south from Barn Hill, diverting inland to the Pilbara etc. and then back to the coast for the rest of the trip south calling in wherever we can on the coast.
I think there are extra licence costs when fishing from a boat over there that can dampen the enthusiasm a bit, not to mention the chances of striking calm seas and actually catching fish.
I would like to hear from anyone that has done this and thought they had good value out of taking their car topper. I would also like to hear from anyone who has done it and thought is was a waste of time taking the boat.
Cheers,
Al-one
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 05:05

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 05:05
Hi there,

Had a car topper a couple of years ago. Did the trip to Perth a couple of times with the boat on top.

Used it once at Kununurra !!!

AnswerID: 476086

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 05:40

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 05:40
We left our boat behind for the last trip of 3 months to the west, even though we spent some time on the coast. Did not miss not having the boat while travelling through the Pilbara.
AnswerID: 476087

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:28

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:28
Might want to check with the fisheries department over there. They have bought in a no. of new requirements for boats and catch limits. Have to have a special licence to just drive the boat, let alone fish out of it.
shane c5
FollowupID: 751123

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 14:05

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 14:05
WA Fishing Rules & Regs
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751136

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15
hi al-one
im not a boaty but i do know a skippers ticket is required now and that is gained by doing a course and passing a test with a registered boat that has all the required safety equiptment on board and in working order
the have become pee'd off resqueing boaties who take a very casuall aproach to safety when out on the water but still expect people to come out and get them when things go wrong
you would have to cotact wa fisheries for full requirements
google it and it will come up
AnswerID: 476102

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 14:29

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 14:29
It's really going to depend on where exactly you are going. There isn't a lot of inland fishing options to be honest in WA and the coast is gorgeous of course, and there's tons of it and loads of great spots right up the coast....

Fishing Spots in WA

Popular worthwhile spots travellers might go with a tinny are:

Southern Coastline - try Bremer Bay, Walpole and Nornalup, Franklin River, Augusta, Myalup beach, Blackwood River (Bridgetown), Kalgan (Albany), Hamein Bay, Warren River, Windy Harbour, Geographe Bay (around Busselton), Bunbury back beach etc.

Mandurah & Peel inlet and Swan River...

Coast near Perth - Woodman Point, Three Mile Reef out from Ocean Reef north of Perth, Two Rocks (highly recommended) - you can camp at Burns Beach Tourist Park if you're lucky to get a spot and launch right there,

Further North - Greenhead/Leeman, Kalbarri, Quobba, Shark Bay, Coral Bay, and Exmouth (Ningaloo Station or Warroora Station are ideallyic). Onslow and Thevenard Island, Balla Balla Creek in Pilbara, depending when you go, maybe Fitzroy River for barra etc.

Fishing is huge in WA, just a matter of what you fish for and what time of year. There are some great detailed fishing website, try Fishwrecked.com and FishingWA for example.

Best of luck, Michelle

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476113

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 21:25

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 21:25
Not sure if it will affect your decision one way or the other.
Your boat would need to be registered/licensed but if you have an outboard of 6hp or less you do not need a skippers ticket in WA. Not sure about interstate rego's.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 476142

Sponsored Links