hilux suspension

Submitted: Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 15:07
ThreadID: 91487 Views:6099 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi people
Thanks to with those opinion's on upgradingsuspension on new hilux ,which i will try standard first but feel as some of you that I will have to upgrade .Has any one got opinion's between an air bag or an extra spring ARB say the way to go????
Regards Bill

ps . towing an 2.3 off road caravan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 22:48

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 22:48
bill & netti : Not speaking from experience myself with air bags , but a mate has a set on his vehicle " the good ones $ 700 - $ 800 work well .

If you go with h/d springs and your unloaded it might ride very hard in back !!
but with air bags you can change pressure it make a difference .
cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476149

Follow Up By: Member - bill & netti p (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 15:20

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 15:20
thanks nick i think i will go with aiur bags
cheers bill

FollowupID: 751213

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:13

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:13
Remember the hilux is built to take a full tonne in the tray of the single cab in addition to two pasengers, the total payload will be somewhere arround 1100 1200Kg.
They are much stiffer suspended from the facyory than a similar station waggon 4WD such as a prado which will have a payload of arround 650Kg including pasengers.

One thing that is worthwhile on any hilux is a good set of aftermarket shock absorbers...especially in the rear.

cheers
AnswerID: 476177

Follow Up By: Member - bill & netti p (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 15:25

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 15:25
Thanks Bantam
maybe air bags or shocks not extra leaf which we have on our 2005 hilux and it rides rough as even when loaded
cheers bill
FollowupID: 751215

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 23:31

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 23:31
For the life of me I cant understand whay anybody would want to stiffen the suspension in the back of a hilux.

I hear it is common to take a leaf out and fit airbags.

I have seen and heard of hiluxes in rediculously over loaded situations....like trays full of sand, nearly 2 tonnes of bricks in the back of one.

If the springs are not heavy enough in the back its obvioulsy over loaded or the weight is not properly distributed.

one thing people need to understnad about hiluxes ( and all toyotas for that matter) but especially hiluxes, they are very much dependent on the shock absorbers AND they chew em up.

cheers

FollowupID: 751259

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 23:38

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 23:38
Another issue is that this latest crop of light utes hiluxes, navaras et al.

have gone from having a towing capacity arround their tare weight, to having a towing capacity nearly 1.5 times their tare weight.

The towing capacity on these new utes seems very optomistic.....not so long ago it would have been ilegal to tow a trailer heavier than the tow vehicle.

ALL tow ratings might be fine for a half hour trip to the dump or the locak boat ramp at suburban speeds, but to run these vehicles at their twoing capacity for extended periods and at highway speeds is asking for trouble.

cheers
FollowupID: 751260

Reply By: sheps - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 16:51

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 16:51
G'day Bill,
Many people will tell you airbags are the way to go and depending on what you intend to do with the vehicle, they may be.
After buying my new hilux, I fitted heavy duty springs all round. On the front to offset the weight of the winchbar & winch....and give me an extra 40mm or so of lift as well.
And on the rear to allow me to load up the back with gear and hitch a hard floor camper on without sagging too much.
Against some advice, I also fitted airbags which worked a treat on the blacktop, but once we got into the offroad rough we were thrown about something terrible.
The bags restrict your vehicles suspension travel and give you a much rougher ride than without.........similar to a bucking horse, says SWMBO.
So have a think about what you want from your vehicle and where you intend going prior to fitting airbags.
Mine are sitting on a shelf collecting dust if you want to make me an offer......done about 3,000 kms only.
Cheers,
Paul
AnswerID: 476309

Sponsored Links