Popiltah Lake NSW

Submitted: Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 22:08
ThreadID: 91501 Views:3459 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone been camping at Lake Popiltah recently? Is it a good campground or more of a roadside stop for trucks???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 00:18

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 00:18
Have a look for yourself

Popitah Rest Area, CAW-5 site N1141

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476157

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 09:04

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 09:04
S & K,

Popiltah is a bit tight to get a truck into. It's a well set out rest area with picnic facilities, toilets and a rainwater tank. It's been a great view with the Lake full for the first time in many years. It would be ideal for an overnight with a van but for the highway being only 50 metres away.

I usually stay at Popiltah on my way north but use a camping spot off the higway to the west. No more than 100 metres past the Rest area turn there is a track heading off to the left of the road (west) down to what appears tobe an old road camp and roadbase storage area. Once down you will see the track continues to the west. Follow this along for about 700 metres and you will find a lovely little spot to pitch a tent. It's between a couple of dunes offering a bit of shelter, plenty of bush and firewod. You would get a small van in there and no worries for camper trailers. No water views but further away from the highway and a good bush camp none the less.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476171

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:59

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:59
Image Could Not Be Found

Don't even think of going into that old blue metal dump site if the weather looks bad. Because if you do and it rains, you'll get very familiar with the trees.

The Lake Popiltah Rest Area is very close to the Silver City Highway and you'll have trucks using it all day and night carting beach sands that are mined further south.

At present there is water in the lake and there should be a fair bit of bird life around the place.

The lake is fenced off and signs are in place that prohibit camping inside the boundary fence, anyway if you did drive in there you would go down in the sand.

FollowupID: 751192

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 12:04

Saturday, Jan 28, 2012 at 12:04
Sorry, a senior's moment.

Trucks cannot use this rest area. It is too sharp a turn to get in

They usually stop at Coombah Roadhouse which is 4-5 km north & has suitable heavy vehicle parking.

But if you stay at Lake Popiltah you'll hear them going past.

Nontheless, I often use the place as it's a convenient place to stay when I leave home after lunch, on day one of a trip away.
FollowupID: 751193

Sponsored Links