Travelling with 4 kids & 2 dogs!

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 16:43
ThreadID: 91530 Views:3441 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hello all,
We are in the process of planing our trip around Auz with our 4 children (5-11) and 2 dogs. I would like to correspond with other families who are currently travelling or also intend to travel in the near furure. We have a caravan and intend to buy a dual cab 4x4 truck to accomodate all the gear needed to do as much 'free' camping as possible. Happy travelling........
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:16

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:16
keep in mind the dogs will really restrict you in your travels, many do get rather cranky about the lack of places you can go to and lack of facilitys that cater for travellers and dogs but still do travel with them ....
I guess if you keep in mind you will not get to see a LOT of places and accept that then you will be fine, just plan well ahead and be accepting of what you CANT do and you will be fine eh..
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 476323

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:55

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:55
Thanks Joe. It's not the dogs that worry me, more like the cranky kids. Keeping daily travel time to a minimum helps. Have travelled with 2 dogs in our pre-kid days in an old Bedford bus. Had a fantastic time, met some great people and visited some amazing places. Want to do it all again with the kids (& dogs)....
FollowupID: 751343

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 20:08

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 20:08
yes but things have changed a lot now eh, we have done it with 3 kids and they are really the least of your worries, you MUST have headrest dvd players, dont even dream you can do it without them eh .... we did 11,000klms in six weeks back in Aug/Sept and it went well but met a lot of people and very few had dogs, every year it gets harder to do it with them and even more so with kids/dogs combo it really will restrict you eh ..... but you seem to have looked into it so good luck eh, kids will be fine trust me, ours are 4, 9, 11,....
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 751346

Follow Up By: Ray - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:05

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:05
I have done two trips around the block with two dogs and have never had a problem but you have to choose carefully where you go.
I have never travelled too far with kids and avoid going camping when kids are off school. I may be an old grouch and avoid kids wherever possible.
FollowupID: 751395

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:15

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:15
Hello Ray. Thanks for your comments. I agree with the 'avoiding kids' statement. We have generally taken ours out of school for camping simply to avoid the school holiday rat-race. We both really enjoy our own 'space' and hate the 'packed-in-like-sardines' space at caravan parks. I am aware that traveling with dogs will have it's challenging moments, but my alternative is to put them down, or not go until 20 years later.
FollowupID: 751405

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:40

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:40
Joe, are you and your family still travelling?
FollowupID: 751425

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 21:40

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 21:40
No ummm maybe sortof yes ... well sort of not and sort of am, we left Tom Price 11 years ago with a tiny liddle bubs to travel the world and work our way around, first stop was 12klms SE of One Arm Point/Cape Leveque at Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm .... we left there expecting No 2 to work in the heart of Kakadu (Cooinda) and many many places/years/klms later incluiding an island we find ourselfs at Doomadgee in Far North QLD ..................... check us out on Facebook at Doomadgee Roadhouse :-)
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 751488

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 23:55

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 23:55
Mmm...sounds pretty adventurous to me. You guys should write a book. Will check the FB site out. Ev
FollowupID: 751504

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:07

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:07
Nope, couldn't find it. Had other listings but not the roadhouse. Anyway, I'm guessing your a mechanic?
FollowupID: 751505

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:05

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 17:05
started as a mechanic working on boats, gen sets and general all rounder and over the ten years shifted to manager of stores, roadhouse is the 3rd store we have been in, all in very remote areas and really good work, kids love the schools so all is working for us ..........
Try this, i dont know if it will work ...
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/pages/Doomadgee-Roadhouse/146886095327638 ...

Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 751579

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:38

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:38
The dogs will restrict your plans. How big are they.
I know that wasnt your question but it was the first thing that came to mind. Do they bark a lot. Nothing worse than a dog that barks when people walk past.
AnswerID: 476329

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 23:30

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 23:30
Jack Russell & Kelpie not yap yap dogs. But we don't wish to stay in caravan parks too often. Due to the vast distances in WA free camping is a lot easier, however we expect this to become difficult in the East. We would also like to do farm/station stays etc
FollowupID: 751373

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:50

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:50
There you go I was imagining two Sheppard's or something. Your right about the eastern states. Good luck with your adventure.
Enjoy
Sharon
FollowupID: 751416

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 01:04

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 01:04
Hi Evelyn,
Picking up from your comments regarding free camping in WA, yes there is plenty of open space but most of it is either pastoral land or national park plus a few indiginous communities as well.
Most of thise areas are regularly 1080 baited for wild dog and/or fox control and the bait used is absolutely lethal on dogs.
Some farm land can also be baited
I would recommend that you keep your dogs muzzled at all times you are in the bush, they can pick up a bait before you can do anything about it......and there is not a lot you can do to save them if they do. Watching them die is "fairly" traumatic and definitely not for children's eyes.

I would recommend "Canps 6" and "Free Camping In WA" (both north and south) as guides for free camping in WA. These books give you the best available information on free camping in WA.

Hope this helps,

Disco.
AnswerID: 476352

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:38

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 13:38
Thank you Disco. Will definitely buy one. Have the South one already. Quite often we simply pull off the road on some ole track and have the best camp site ever. I find at times that the designated 'free' spots are littered with toilet paper etc.. which is a little off-putting. I suppose my greatest concern was first schooling, but from the various articles I have read so far - if anything - it will be an improvement on what they are currently doing at school. The second is travelling outside my comfort zone, which is.......anything outside WA. Then of course there is the dogs. But hey, I recon we can do it. If I am going to get too worked up about all the "what if's" then I might never go. I must say this sure is a great website where you can glean a lot of info from those who have been there - done that.
FollowupID: 751424

Reply By: ombo99 - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:31

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:31
Hi we;'ve been travelling mainly up the coast from Adelaide and are presently on the Gold Coast , we've been gone for two months and have 3 kids 16,14 and 5 and a jack russell . Basically National Parks are out as far as camping goes , just have to do your research on the internet . Caravan parks seem about every 3rd. on average is pet friendly and probably about the same in bush camps , we've got the camps Australia book ( about $30 ) which has the symbol to suggest pet friendly on the header for the camp . Get used to the dogs being on a lead . Get in touch if you want to know where we've stayed and wether we'd reccomend it . Cheers Dave 0433 078 895
AnswerID: 476396

Follow Up By: Evelyn H - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 23:53

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 23:53
Thanks Dave. Is it ok if I can grab your email or do you have a Blog page? Would like to know more about how you find home schooling with older kids too Cheers, Ev
FollowupID: 751503

Reply By: Pebble - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:39
If you' have never been outside of WA then I think you will love NSW and VIC, like real mountains and real windy roads! My Husband is a WA boy and I don't think he'd ever seen steeper or windier roads than somewhere south of Canberra around the Snowies region when we were traveling back across to WA! He even saw snow for the first time in his life!

Can't help you much with the kids and dogs thing, we only have 2 kids and no dog. Ours are aged 7 & 9 now, one thing that buys us a couple of hours of peace and quiet when necessary on longer trips is their Nintendo DSes (with one of those cartridges that have heaps of games on them). But on longer trips we generally aim to do somewhere around 5hrs of driving a day. They were relatively easy when young though because they tended to sleep then eat then play for a bit then sleep again.

Involve them in helping set up camp if you can and stop at playgrounds where convenient. The 5yr old will probably be the most challenging I guess! I think it's great that you're doing it, I would have been mainly apprehensive on the home schooling part I reckon.....they always seem to believe what someone else tells them even if I've previously told them the same thing lol.
AnswerID: 476499

Sponsored Links