Thieving Mongrels

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 18:59
ThreadID: 91532 Views:3825 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
On the way back from queensland with the new Sunland Patriot in tow stopped for the night at the Euchla caravan park and some lowlife stole the retaining pin out of my hitch.Got halfway out the park and it all fell off !!!Just goes to show you have to check everything before you put i in drive. Luckily i had a spare.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lex M - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:04

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:04
Seems to be a common form of idiot entertainment.

Get yourself a lockable pin.

AnswerID: 476318

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:30

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:30
Yep, we have one for traveling.
Still carry the standard pin with the R clip.
The lockable pin is about 20 bucks.
Cheers

FollowupID: 751341

Reply By: Evelyn H - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:29

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 19:29
I recall one Christmas Day in an Adelaide caravan park, just about every tourist had something nicked. Wet suits, shoes, towels, gas bottle of the barbie, even my thongs! Outside eskies had beer and hams stolen. The whole park was furious. That was a merry Christmas. Funny thing was, our 2 jack russells were growling thru the night and we told them to shut up, without ever investigating why!!
AnswerID: 476327

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:02

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:02
Hi Michael,

I have a routine, it comes from my aviation background where everything is checked. It might be anal, but it works.

Every time I stop and either undo something or change the status of something or leave the car and van parked and unattended I do a walk-around and physically touch and think about everything that needs to be secure before driving away.

This includes when well-meaning people help you pack up and hook up.

For this to work you need to consciously touch and look at the thing you're checking and think "Is this correct?" If you go into automatic mode just to get the job done faster it won't work.

So far it's saved me major embarassment twice. And on a couple of occasions when I haven't done it properly I have ended up with dust in the camper or a destroyed Anderson because a retainer wasn't clipped up, etc.

Just a thought

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476335

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:25

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:25
Must be a pilot thing, I do exactly the same, touch everything that needs to be checked.

Cheers...
FollowupID: 751473

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:09

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 21:09
I'll stop bitching about how long mine takes to change out (with 2 spanners, some vice grips and a big hammer)

And I was thinking about going for a quick and easy setup.
AnswerID: 476337

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:26

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:26
Yep same here, 2 x 15/16" spanners and a bit of cursing but so far so good. I did it more to protect my expensive Reece hitch (is there any other kind...I mean other than expensive..lol) when the van is not connected but I must admit I have underestimated the degree of stupidity that would find any enjoyment in doing it just for fun.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 751363

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:42

Sunday, Jan 29, 2012 at 22:42
I have welded a bolt and nut to my tow hitch - mostly to stop the rattle and slight clunk that develops with the hitch.

Also stops the opportunity thieves.

Serendipity

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476342

Follow Up By: pt_nomad - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 21:26

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 21:26
This mod does not look like it will stop the pin from being stolen, ther is still an R clip holding it in place.
FollowupID: 751483

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 09:26

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 09:26
Anything can be stolen by a determined thief. But this way the thief will have to bring tools to undo the bolt - and most of the opportunity thieves will not be carrying tools.

It also stops that annoying clunk these hitches develop.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 751524

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:21

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:21
Rule 101 of caravanning and camping...... place all items that's not secured in a lockable area.

We never leave our pin in the hitch and always place it in the front lockable boot...... we have a lockable pin for the hitch when we disconnect the trailer.

And another tip carry two spare 3/4 spring pins, four spare lynch pins and four rated "D" shackles for spares.
AnswerID: 476358

Reply By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:55

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:55
G'day Michael, I have a quality stainless steel split pin in mine also carry spares, they don't bother with that - too hard! Locks only keep honest people out.
hoo roo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476360

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:10

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:10
And some are more brazen..... We stopped for lunch in a pretty spot overlooking a river for lunch. A few minutes later car rolls up, two young women in it, "Do you have jumper leads we could borrow - our friend is stuck down a track with a flat battery" "Sure not a problem" "We will be back in under 10 mins - thanks so much"

An hour and a half later we had finished lunch and were reflecting on the brazenness of youth as we pulled out. They were a very good set of leads to!

John
AnswerID: 476361

Follow Up By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:25

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:25
Hi,

If that was me I would offer to go and help that way all my gear stays that way. Mine!!

Have seen so many thing borrowed by other people and not returned or parts replaced over the years.

It has taken me quite awhile to get all good gear without giving it away.

David Will

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751408

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:23

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:23
Agreed, David. Or you lend it and it gets abused before being returned with a cheery "Thanks mate".

Torx set with a bit missing, ratchet wrench used as a hammer, axe returned with a splintered handle that I cut off and used as firewood myself. Etc, etc.

I don't lend stuff anymore, I'll help out when I can using my own gear but I'm too old and unfit to be cutting people's firewood for them. :-(

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751412

Follow Up By: hazo - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 15:23

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 15:23
We pulled over for lunch one day in a NW WA rest area and there was a bloke in an old falcon towing an even older viscount caravan the other side of the rest area, he wandered over and asked if he I had an air compressor or pump as he had a slow puncture on the caravan.

I lent him myl 12v portable compressor and we carried on having lunch in our van as the flys were pretty bad.
Anyway after about 20mins I thought I'd go and check on him, and bugger he'd gone ! complete with my compressor !
Probably worth more than his rig ! we didn't even know which way he had gone, North or South so pretty aimless looking for him.

We kept an eye out for the mongrel but never saw him or my compressor again.

Makes one very weary of lending anything out again.
FollowupID: 751437

Reply By: Wayne David - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:16

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:16
What I want to know is has anyone had the pleasure of catching one of these bastards in the act?

See if this makes you feel any better - I have a friend who after parking his Motto Guzzi motor bike and walking off down the street, realized that he'd forgotten something in the panniers (bike bag) & returned to get it. Low & behold there was someone kneeling down busy trying to hot wire his bike & 'borrow it'. Needless to say the conversation with the would be thief was short and sweet.
AnswerID: 476376

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:44

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:44
hi michael
i think you mean eucla
but yes and more than likely they waited and watched the whole thing unfold as you tryed to drive away and would have thought it hilarious that would be probably a daily event for idiots like them
idiots have to get their kicks some how and usually at some one else's expense and yes
i have over the years even if some one helps me hitch up etc
taken it on myself to run through the final checks list to make sure everything is how it needs to be before driving off
i have been accused at times of never trusting anyone but i always say someone has to take full responsibility
and a man has to do what a man has to do
thats part of the safety issues when driving and /or towing
so far its paid off
cheers
AnswerID: 476378

Reply By: Varmint - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:06

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:06
Stayed in a cabin at Holbrook for 3 nights. Had the tie down straps from the boat pinched.
AnswerID: 476410

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 22:06

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 22:06
Hi Michael,
Just came across your Post by doing a search on "Sunland". I know its only a few weeks of owning your van but I just wondered what your impressions were of it?
I am researching for a new van and the Patriot is in my top 3 after narrowing down from 5.
Any comments or feedback (good or bad) would be helpful.
Thanks
Glen
AnswerID: 477893

Follow Up By: Member - MICHAEL P (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 23:55

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 23:55
Hi Glen,love the van, tows like a dream,had a few minor issues which were delt with immediately,have no complaints except that we dont leave for the big lap for 3 months
FollowupID: 753246

Sponsored Links