Great Central Road

Hi Guys. We are considering travelling the Great Central Road from Yulara & then westward to Leonora then up to Wiluna & across to Meekathara. We then head to the Pilbara (which we know) then hopefully across to the coast via Millstream National Park. We would be pleased to hear the thoughts from those that have been on the GCR and been from Tom Price to the coast via Millstream NP.
GEOFF B7
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:41

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:41
Hi Geoff

If your are inland corrugated road ready, the Great Central is a great drive. I have a Blog in My Blogs.Millstream visits predate my blogs, but we have been via the very stony Wittenoom Road rather than the also rough Mining Permit Road.Millstream Chichester are well worth a visit. There is a new road which i haven't been on from Karratha - we have some members from there who i hope can fill us in.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476432

Reply By: Athol W - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:48
Hi Geoff B7
We travelled the road from Roebourne via Warambie, Python Pool, Millstream, Mount Florence, Hamersley Range turnoff (the road to the gorge was closed at the time) to Tom Price in June last year towing a 20' caravan (not off road) and found the road generally in good condition. There were sections around the Mount Florence area that were little more than 2 wheel tracks but still good to travel on.

There is a new sealed road from Karratha almost to the turnoff to Millstream that generally follows the railway, travelled this road in 2010 when they were making the 'Red Dog' film.

We last travelled the Great Central Road in 2005 and found it then to be in reasonable condition (the local people were using Falcons and Commodores)

Hope this helps

Athol W
AnswerID: 476450

Follow Up By: Member Boroma 604 - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 13:21
Gooday,
Travelled the Great Central in August 2010 for the second time, very corrugated from The Olga's to the WA Border, from there on it was in great condition for 80% of the way to Laverton, could travel at 80-100 KM an hour if you chose, I always travel about 80 or less and was towing a 3 tonne Caravan.
The council at Laverton have 2 graders on the road permanently and do a magnificent job of maintaining the road. Bear in mind that it can change dramatically overnight due to weather. If you drive according to the conditions and sensibly you will not have a problem.
Also went up to Wiluna, tar all the way, then from there to Meekathara, about 20 Km of tar in random stretches, then, rest gravel, good in places bit rough in others, but again don't be in a hurry. If you want to get there fast, Take The Aeroplane.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
FollowupID: 751555

Reply By: bgreeni - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:07

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 15:07
Travelled the GCR last week. A good gravel road for most part with many areas recently graded. The NT section was not as good as WA with less formed up sections and less gravel - more sand.

I did not find the corrugations an issue, but I have driven on a lot of dirt roads in the past.

Some planing is required around fuel stops, especially over weekend, as the roadhouses are not 24hr operations.
AnswerID: 476470

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:27

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:27
Thanks for that. I've done the GCR previously in 2007 and found the whole thing quite good overall. The remarks about the NT side ring true but the corrugations weren't that bad.

In April I'm going from east to west, reversing the 07 journey and the timely reminder about fuel in weekends is a wake up call. I'll plan my trip accordingly.

I read that the NT side of the GCR asks you to apply for a travel permit within a week of travelling. Is this true as it wasn't an issue in 07 when I applied 2 months in advance. Advice gladly accepted here.
FollowupID: 751604

Sponsored Links