Which goody would you get for your car

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:00
ThreadID: 91580 Views:2585 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I want this

Hi,
I am looking/ dreaming of getting getting some additions for the car, a Paj.

At this point i dont have the money but hoping this will change soon.
If i can get some money i am thinkng of the following.
Here are my thoughtsnon the options

1. A snorkel
Not sure  how useful.
I am planning doing some trips in the near future wherenthe odd river crossing will be required.

Cost about $820 installed

A negative is if is sell the car i lose the investment as you expect

2. A performance chip
I would get continual benefit of this as active all the time
I could keep e chipmifm sold the car

Cost $1300 roughly

3..  A winch
It would look good on the car but doubt i would ever use. :)
It is one of those things you sort of wish you had when needed but so far i have been ok. Mind you we are planning on doing a lot of travel soon to some remote places, or at least i hope we are. It would be a reassurance thing knowing i ge out of a problem.

I can trransfer to another cr if i want, so an omgoing benefit

Cost $1200

4. A Sat phone
I have a Spot Messenger for emergencies but a sat phone would be good

Cost : varies a lot but note  the isatphone are around $1200 i think

5. Diesel or Gas heater for the van
Not sure i want this, may change my mind after a few cold nights on the  road.

Cost $2000+

It is great to dream of new goodies for the car and travel.

There is another option- none of the above:), unfortunately this could be  the most likely one.

So if you had your choice of the above which if any would you go for.

Have a good one,
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopy al - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:11
Forget the sat phone and get diff lockers. they really make a difference
AnswerID: 476496

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:17

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:17
Bugger!! Dont add more to my list but i am dreaming so why not.

Richard
FollowupID: 751601

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 22:32
The satellite phone gives you more safety benefit than lockers. It can help you call for a new shock absorber or fuel. Or just to talk to a nurse or doctor and get temporary advice. Without sending the cavalry out. We have one. Cost about $500.

We have not needed lockers even though we have spent a lot of time up on the unused and rocky tracks in the high country. Move the lockers down and the phone up. Safety first.

While I have you. I still do not know why so much emphasis there is on power. We have a 4.2td and that's heaps. Sorry but I do not recall what car you have so if its a small motor then maybe a chip will be needed for carrying a heavy load or towing. You drive the car properly it will get you there.

Phil
FollowupID: 751636

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 22:34

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 22:34
I just read the thread again and noticed that you have a Pajero. I do not know anything about them so please ignore my comments on the chip.

Phil
FollowupID: 751637

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 23:28

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 23:28
Phil,
It is a 3.2 litre diesel.

I tow a van, so some extra power would be good.

Richard
FollowupID: 751645

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:05

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:05
So I noticed later.

If you are interested in a sat phone and do not have G3, search for my thread about qualifying for one. Especially if you are with Vodafone or some mob who do not believe anyone lives outside the city. You may qualify for a hefty subsidy.

Helps pay for that chip mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 751651

Reply By: Member - shane c5 - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:39

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:39
Hi Rich, I love to dream as well and even wrote a list.Mine stopped at $10500, so also waiting.Snorkel for a diesel is a very good thing to have. This is cheaper if you fitted it yourself. About $280 approx

As for the winch, well I had it on the troopy when I bought it. They have some drawbacks. They only pull you forward which can mean into more trouble. They can snap and kill people, also, they have limited use in sand. You need a danforth anchor for this and have to know how to do it. They also need maintenence. So would think that for $300 a pair, maxtrax would be better. You can go forward or backwards.

The sat phone I think is a great idea and am currently in the process myself. Got this name off the forum www.tc.com.au an lucas watson is the business mgr and very prompt. Quoted me $630 for the phone ex gst also their rates seem to be very good. A must have

Diff lockers, again, great but specific for use. Is on my list but at $3400, lot of investment for very limited use.

Anyway, don't stop dreaming, but get out travelling and you may find this helps you work out what you really need.

shane c5
AnswerID: 476500

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:19

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:19
I am glad i am not the only

The snorkel is certainly high on the list.

I will check out the sta phone reference

Richard
FollowupID: 751602

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 19:48
hi Rich
I would save up for the diesel heater it realy saved us in Tasmania las year
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476502

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:26

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:26
I was keen on a gas heater from Truma but a pain trying to get fitted.

So diesel is easier to get installed i reckon.

My vann has a heater with the aircon but that needs power or a generator which i do not have,

Oh hell another on the wish list.

Richard
FollowupID: 751603

Reply By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:27

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 20:27
To all above thanks for the replies, good to dram andmshare with others,

Have a good one,

Richard
AnswerID: 476508

Reply By: Athol W - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 22:08
Rich

I strongly recommend the Diesel heater for travel in cold climates, as you will find that the air conditioner can freeze up leaving you cold inside the van. My diesel heater can maintain 30*c during winter in places like Tumbarumba and Stanthorpe, and uses so little fuel (generally less than 1 litre in 24 hours)

If you are doing much outback travel the Federal Government will very kindly pay half the purchase cost of a sat phone, but you must get the approval prior to making the purchase of the phone. Just see your friendly sat phone retailer. I would not be travelling outback without either a sat phone or HF radio.

I would also not travel outback alone without a winch. You can get good winches fitted with plasma rope on Ebay for very reasonable cost. The advantages of plasma rope are its light weight (it will float on water) and there is no recoil if it breaks, you can also tie it in knots to repair any breakage. A 12000lb winch with plasma rope can weigh as little as 18kg and cost around the $400.00 mark.

A snorkle is also a good investment.

I have travelled the Simpson Desert (no trailer), also the GCR, Tanami, Plenty, Sandover, and many more towing camper trailer or 20' caravan.

Have fun with your travells

Regards
Athol W
AnswerID: 476534

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 23:30

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 23:30
Athol,
So you are saying buy every thing !

I like it :)

Richard
FollowupID: 751646

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:27

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:27
G'day Rich, just to balance the argument a little...I have none of the desired bits..
& no desire to add any of them. None of my outback touring has given me any
evidence that I need them. If I was to covet something...maybe a nice new Engel,
to relace the old 3 way...but then how do I camp up for a week without a portable
power station to keep the beer cold. Take both I suppose...:))))......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 751656

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 19:04

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 19:04
Oldbaz,
I am not showing your post to the wife for sure, but sense in your comment

Richard
FollowupID: 751711

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 17:42

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 17:42
If you are camping off power even occasionally then go the heater. We use ours even when on power, when we come home late at night we will use the diesel and the electric heater to warm the van up quicker.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476593

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:05

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:05
Richard,

and everyone else,

I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned a compressor and pressure gauge.

I had an ex ARB company car which as you can imagine had every conceivable accessory available including a welder.

When I bought the GU the first thing I added was a compressor. They have a multitude of uses apart from inflating tyres.

When travelling off road the need to adjust tyre pressures to suit the terrain is very important. Punctures while not pleasant are also a reality.

I would not go to a remote area without a compressor, tyre repair kit, a bead breaker and the ability to use them.

Duncs

AnswerID: 476605

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:52

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:52
Dunc,
Got them.

I also have a smartbar which can fit a winch if i want to.

Seems like the heater is the favourite.

Richard
FollowupID: 751726

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:08

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:08
First and foremost depending on where you intend to travel ? A bullbar ..... you think a snorkel ? Yeah right ? ,If you want a snorkel to go through water it means that the water is already to deep ,, A performance Chip ? .. Means you bought the wrong vehicle/motor for your needs /driving style ..... Winch ? A: you need the bullbar first B: Most NEVER get used....... Sat Phone ? If your so far in the poop there are better options that will save ongoing costs ,,
AnswerID: 476608

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:57

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:57
Alloy,
The car tows the van fairly well but does have a bit of a struggle up some bigger hills. A bit more power would be nice, cheaper than a new car.

You are probably right about the snorkel, but being a diesel i am a bit paranoid.

I was watching a video of one of the tracks i want to travel, a few water crossongs involved but should not be an issue if no excess water around. However the way weather is going ya never know.

Richard
FollowupID: 751730

Sponsored Links