Trailor Hitches

Submitted: Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 916 Views:2154 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am getting my first camper trailor and am undecided about whether to have a Treg or Orac hitch fitted. Any suggestions of which is the best or experiences with these would be much appreciated. It will be towed by a 2.8 Patrol on a 2 year trip aound the country visiting as many places as possible
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne - Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00
Johno

There have been several comments on this recently Refer the following thread which started about 20 March "Fabian asked about towing hitches - ORAC and/or treg"

Rgds

Wayne
AnswerID: 2642

Reply By: DennisN - Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 05, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Johhno, I have an Orac and am quite happy with the setup. If you go to the O'Brien trailer website you can see just how versatile they are when compared to the Treg [I do not have an O'Brien camper trailer - just an Orac coupling on the one I've go - so its not an ad for O'Briens.]. One thing I have noticed is that apart from the fact they are easy to put on/off by adjusting the height of the jockey wheel - they can prove quite a pain if there is any fore/aft pressure between tow vehicle and trailer. There must be NO stress on the coupling from ANY angle - otherwise you can just sit there and swear all day. Having put in a good word for Orac couplings, I can remember that Treg were making top quality trailers and couplings when I grew up in Adelaide a bloody long time ago. Personally I dont think you will go wrong with either choice mate. Enjoy making your decision.
AnswerID: 2649

Follow Up By: Johno - Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks mate, I have now decided to go with the Treg. Seems they are most popular and available
FollowupID: 1159

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, Apr 08, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 08, 2002 at 00:00
We had a treg on our old camper and our new trailer came with an orac. Once I got used to the orac system it's easier to hitch up, but keep a rag handy to wipe off the grease. The treg is easier to unhitch when there is some weight still on the hitch.
AnswerID: 2675

Follow Up By: Ross - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2002 at 00:00
We have a treg hitch which I curse now and then. The best way to hitch it is to back the car to a position a bit to the side of the hitch and swing the trailer around to locate it while adjusting the height with the jockey wheel at the same time. this works great if the ground is relatively smooth and flat to permit this, but if the wheels are in mud or soft sand it can be hard to do.

All is forgiven though when I read about trailers flipping and not dragging the car over because a treg hitch was fitted.
FollowupID: 1016

Reply By: Johno - Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 21, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info, now decided on the Treg hitch
Regards
AnswerID: 2964

Sponsored Links