HF or Sat Phone

With the price of some satphones down to around $600 and some (relatively) cheap prepaid plans, what are the pros and cons of getting a sat phone vs HF.

I am leaning towards sat phone because of ease of installation, use and cost. Both have some limitations in various terrain and atmospherics and you do have to know the ins and out of both systems but I would be interested on the views of others.

Can we remain in topic as we do tend to drift a bit - lol.

Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 14:57

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 14:57
Drift alarm now activated.
There is an article on the www.vks737.on.net site (Tab at the top right) that pretty much captures the essentials in my view - also see the articles by the Eoz staff in the communications section here. Cost is only one factor in the equation of course - it's all about what you need the long distance comms for (chat, serious talk, emergencies, SMS, email, GPS tracking etc.) and how effective and efficient the comms will be, when you require them. I choose HF, but many choose Sat - fine by me :-o).
AnswerID: 476849

Reply By: Member - John N (SA) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 14:59

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 14:59
G'day Garry,

if I could afford it, I would have both. Presently however, I have a HF which we have used a lot over the last 8 years. Like others have posted in other similar entries, the HF community when traveling is a great attraction for me. I have used VKS in an emergency only once and it worked very well. Listening in to other travelers each day during the skeds has been useful and interesting and why we keep subscribing. (The ABC stations work well out in the desert too)

We have always been able to contact at least one VKS base - if Adelaide is not available, Charters Towers or Alice Springs usually are.

I guess one advantage of HF over a Sat Phone in an emergency is the VKS community - help may be another traveler a short distance away.

Good luck

John
AnswerID: 476850

Reply By: racinrob - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 15:01

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 15:01
G'day Garry, I'll admit to being biased and admit also both systems have their merits but I have a HF radio and belong to a club and that fills my communication needs while I'm travelling. It's very rare you can't contact a base station or another member, send a text, make a phone call and send or recieve GPS figures.
The HF Radio Club has a good social network with meetings, tech support and get togethers all over Oz during the year.
rr VKE237 Sel 6678
AnswerID: 476852

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 17:14

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 17:14
Thanks for those positive HF comments. I guess I should have clarified my use in the original post. Not really interested in the HF club/chat type environment though I can see it being a real advantage in an emergency. I am looking at a system for its emergency use and staying in contact with home.

Whatever I decide on it will have to be able to moved between two vehicles.

Cheers

Garry
AnswerID: 476868

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 17:47

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 17:47
You can make phone calls with a HF, you can not make radio calls with a sat phone.....
AnswerID: 476869

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:02

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:02
But I can make phone calls with a sat phone so I am not sure what your point is - is a radio call better or more reliable than a phone call from a sat phone.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 752026

Follow Up By: Tim - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:39

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:39
You can do either with a radio, you have the choice.
FollowupID: 752070

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:58

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:58
Can't put your HF in your pocket and go for a walk though,
I can see the advantages of both, but for my usage, in touch with home and emergency use the Sat phone wins hands down for me.
FollowupID: 752106

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 15:32

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 15:32
You cannot send and receive both emails or SMS with HF. Another reason we went to the Sat phone. Three buttons and a phone number and our location is on its way back. The phone has inbuilt GPS. The family, friends, doctors and nurses, the RFDS or "000" can also call you direct without mucking around with phone patches to the public telephone network. I have already tried it to a number in the "000" ops room with their prior approval. No I did not dial "000".

Beats trying to get the GPS location over the HF in bad comms. HF only covers a small part of the HF band and as such it can be atrocious between midnight and dawn or during an ionespheric disturbance from a bad sunspot cycle or sunspot storm. In a lot of occasions the sat phone may get through such a storm when the HF wont as a sat phone does not rely on the ionosphere for "skip" to use a common term. Yes both can be blanked out as well if the disturbance is that bad but that is rare..

My doctors will only approve me going if I have 24/7 comms from the deserts. Hills and gorges pose problems to both so the sat phone for us is paramount. Especially as we do not have 3G and do not have any intention of going that way.

Phil
FollowupID: 752150

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 18:00

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 18:00
Hullo Garry

I think you have answered your own question in your latest post.

However, FWIW, I use a combination of HF and Spot

The Spot is set up to send one of 4 messages, namely "All's well", "I need help with vehicle", "I need medical help" (non life threatening) and "Emergency" - all messages include GPS coords. The Spot is small/light enough to take with me when I leave the vehicle to go on walks, etc. Annual cost $100.

If I am out of mobile SMS range, I use the first option on Spot each afternoon after I set up camp

I use the HF to log on each day if I am somewhere remote and there is no mobile coverage (and sometimes even if there is so as to retain continuity of contact with VKS) Annual cost $115

For me, the huge advantage of HF vis a vis satphone is that it is broadcast, that is, anyone tuned in can hear it and if help is required (or advice re road conditions, etc) there is often someone nearby who responds. The number of instances where this has been of real and immediate help are well documented, these instances being where a satphone would have been no use whatsoever.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 476870

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:05

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:05
Thanks Andrew - you make some good points.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 752027

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:19

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:19
Hi Andrew

We do exactly the same these days, works very effectively.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 752077

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 22:20

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 22:20
x 3 - HF and Spot. The combination works well for us.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 752431

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 18:07

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 18:07
Something else to consider.

If you roll your 4WD or breakdown or have a flat battery, you may not get any use out of your HF unit as it may not have any power. However a sat phone being portable can still be used (assuming it's charged of course).
AnswerID: 476872

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 19:57

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 19:57
And the satphone hasn't been smashed in the roll over?
If you attend rollovers, often the contents of the vehicle have been strewn along the road. How many people secure their satphone sufficiently to survive a roll over?
And most people run their HF off the auxiliary battery with a spare length of wire to suffice as an aeriel in an emergency. The most popular HF units (Codan and Barrett) are made to military specs and designed to survive accidents
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 752025

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:35

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:35
I do know someone that has rolled and indeed used their HF radio to summons help - the antennas are very sturdy and will bend substantially.

I was in the same conundrum a few years ago HF or Sat phone and elected to go HF and glad I did. When we go away I simply call VKS and get the Phone activated so that I can call home every now & again.

We listened to a "rescue" of a chap who had broken down on the Birdsville track, I was aware of it and I suspect so were many others in the vicinity, in that case it was a passing VKS737 member who used their investment to help someone else 200 km from Birdsville. Not so funny was the fact that he was driving a Honda Jazz, no water, no credit card, no phone coverage, no UHF and had alcohol on his breath which then attracted the attention of Birdsville Police.

Hope this helps

Colin

VKS Molbile 2887
FollowupID: 752030

Follow Up By: The Landy - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:22

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:22
I have the new Codan self-tune antenna which sits down low on the bull-bar and unlikely to be affected in a roll-over.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 752079

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:09

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 20:09
Thanks - I think the issues raised apply equally to both - satphones getting lost, HF aerials being broken off etc really depends on the circumstances at the time.

Cheers

Garry
AnswerID: 476882

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:39

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:39
G'day, my Sat Phone lives in a water proof, crush resistant case and is easily reached if needed. Makes it easy to grab if car is on fire or rolled etc. Just my two cents worth.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476901

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:02

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:02
Good idea John.
FollowupID: 752108

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 01:30

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 01:30
Am I right in saying that HF radios are not very portable? By that I mean the installation in the car is complex and more or less permanent. Not easy to transfer between cars and the aerial is quite large. I have 2 cars as well and use both for outback trips and have wondered about the same question posed by Garry. Cheers.
AnswerID: 476915

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:08

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:08
True, in that most HF's are permanently installed and as such are always ready to use. As mentioned here somewhere, as well as the primary needs, you can monitor other user traffic as well as listen to a host of international and Oz radio stations, when in remote areas. It was very common a few years back to find stowable HF radio kits, that were got out when required....I'm sure some still have them and use them occasionally. They need to have the power clips applied to the battery posts and then a lead connected to the antenna (which is often left on the bull bar). It should be noted that many of those earlier radios (up to 25/30 year vintage) have voice-only comms quality that surpasses most of the current technology - but fitting them with the latest technology options is impractical.
FollowupID: 752099

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 06:18

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 06:18
Garry,

We have an Inmarsat prepaid Sat Phone. We wanted it for emergencies only. We received the Government Subsidy and so it became a less expensive option. We have used it for an emergency and it worked fine. We have sent SMS messages and they work fine. We sent one to our selves to see if there was a cost to receive it and there wasn't.

Our prepaid service runs for 2 years. The phone links to the satellites quickly. Our view is that if you want it for emergencies it is the way to go.

We use an ordinary UHF radio for general communication and our mobiles for other, when in range. The Sat Phone can be used for all others.

People will tell you that there is a problem with connecting to the satellites. We have not found that to be the case unless we are in a building.

We also selected an Inmarsat as we believe its satellites are more reliable.

We have voice, fax and data capabilities.

Cheers,
Di
AnswerID: 476920

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:38

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 07:38
These Inmarsat Pro Phones cvan now be purchasewd for as little as $123.75 with the Fed Gov subsidy of 85% if you live outside a mobile reception area.

'Travellers' can get one with a 50% subsidy. I have both HF and the above bought from www.toxictech.com.au

John
FollowupID: 752069

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:44

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:44
1. Try putting your HF radio in your pocket when you go for a hike.
2. Can your mobile phone be diverted to your HF?

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 476942

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:00

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:00
At least with an HF, your MiL probably won't be able to call you. :-)
FollowupID: 752084

Reply By: Member - Matt L (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:49

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 09:49
The Sat Phones may be cheap but the calls are something else ,We had an emergency(Medivac) a few years back and we called the flying doctor in Cairns on a friends satellite phone ,cost of one phone call $220 that is one way . With the updated service through H.f. radio to the RFDS (selcall direct)you will not get a better service, W.A.and QLD are the best systems and are being rolled out to the other states in the future i believe . It is explained in detail on the HF radio club web site's.Pandanus Park Veteran.
AnswerID: 476952

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:07

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:07
In a Medivac situation I don't think the $220.00 call would bother too many people, these days Sat calls are much cheaper if you look around at pre paid deals, can be well under $1.00 per minute.
FollowupID: 752110

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:15

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:15
Matt if it was me who needed the help I would of gladly gave you $310..... $220 for the call and $90 for a carton of over priced cheap beer as a thank you.

Problem with HF radio is everyone has to know how to use it correctly..... sat phone you don't.

Down side of a sat phone is you have to know the number you want to call.
FollowupID: 752115

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:18

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:18
Matt if it was me who needed the help I would of gladly gave you $310..... $220 for the call and $90 for a carton of over priced cheap beer as a thank you.

Problem with HF radio is everyone has to know how to use it correctly..... sat phone you don't.

Down side of a sat phone is you have to know the number you want to call.
FollowupID: 752116

Follow Up By: bob smith 1 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 13:06

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 13:06
Why on earth would you not call 000/112 in an emergency, they are free you know !
BS
FollowupID: 752472

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 14:09

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 14:09
As I understand things (and I may be wrong) but you do not ring 000 with a satphone as the system does not know where to put you through too. When travelling you need to do some research first and find out which specific local numbers will put you through to emergency services rather than the generic 000. However if it is a 000 type emergency I would use the epirb. HF does give more options in this regard if you have not done the research before hand.

Garry
FollowupID: 752474

Follow Up By: bob smith 1 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 15:05

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 15:05
Hi Gary,

As you would probably gather Iridium is the standout network. You can absolutely definately access 000/112 emergency with the Iridium network. I also carry an extensive list of contact numbers but have used 112 in the past due to a motor vehicle accident in the bush.

However unless things have changed you cannot dial emergency 000/112 if you are using the ( and the name escapes me ) network. It has been well documented on here and other forums.
Maybe the above poster was using this other network and that would explain the above.

If you decide on SAT over HF there are several purchase options, research well and ask, does this phone allow for free emergency access. This may not be a priority for you and the cheaper handset and networks may suit you.

Bob
FollowupID: 752478

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:09

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:09
This always turns into a long debate with no real out come....

Some of our comms are used for business purposes so have a good setup is important to us, our customers and employee's.

We carry 7 types on communications on board:-
1) Next G mobile phone.
2) Next G modem.
3) Iridium Motorola 9555 sat phone with car kit and external antenna.
4) Spot messenger.
5) GME PLB with GPS.
6) Icom IC 7000 HF radio.
7) Icom UHF radio and 2 x 5w UHF hand helds.

Satellite phones are a good idea for travellers as it offer hassle free communications with others and is no different to a mobile phone, our sat phone is on a Pivotel plan as we found this offer the best coverage..... not in distance but numbers able to be dialled, for example 000, 1300, 13, 1800 can be direct dialled.... Most satellite carriers will not allow you to dial these numbers and as more and more places are going to these number with no option of a standard number you will not be able to phone them..... The Pivotel Iridium service unlike the others you can dial a number direct like 02 9979 2457 and hit send, most others will require you to dial something like 0011 61 29979 2457.... the other thing with Pivotel Iridium service is you have a standard mobile phone number like 0417 234 567 instead of the much longer more confusing international number.

Call cost are a bit more expensive then some of the overseas based providers $1.40 per minute on Pivotal with a monthly access fee compared with the others of 70c per minute and no access fee...... the down side of these cheap outgoing calls is very expensive incoming calls.... to phone our Iriduim phone form a land line or mobile is the same call rate as any other mobile you phone..... with the cheaper overseas carriers the incoming call rates for someone phoning you can be as high as $16.00 per minute .

HF radio is good for long range comms and in some cases can be better for an emergency then Satellite phone..... with HF radio you are dealing with professionally trained radio operators who know what to do, what to ask, who to contact and where you are unlike phoning someone on a Satellite phone who is untrained.... usually a friend who will go into panic mood.... as stated above when you call in with a problem to one of the HF radio service providers they will repeat everything you say back to you..... this is not only to get a correct answer but also to inform others close by who can not hear you (remember HF is long range over 30 to 50 kilometres) respond to your request for help..... you might be bogged and instead of calling for a recovery that may cost you $$$$$ (yes thousands of dollars) there may be some one listening 30 k away who can rescue you for less.

The conclusion is....
HF radio is very good but the down fall is everyone travelling with you must have a good understanding of how it works and how to use it and can be more beneficial then a Satellite phone and once mastered easier to use.... HF radio is more expensive and more complicated to set up and install.

Satellite phones can be as simple to use as a mobile phone but can become very expensive to use, may not be as good as HF in an emergency.... Satellite phones are cheaper then HF and are easy to set up and use.

Costs...
HF radio $1500 - $4000 (second hand to new)
Installation cost $300 - $1000
Access fee yearly $70 - $ 110
Incoming call costs $Free
Outgoing call costs $Usually free but can range up to a couple of $$ depending on services required like Email, SMS.
Cost for others to call you $Free

Satellite phone $400 - $1000 Hands free (second hand to new) up to $3000 with car kit
Installation cost $Free if used as a handheld, up to $1000 for car kit
Access fee yearly $0 - $1200 depending on plan ( some plans include calls)
Incoming call costs $Free
Outgoing call costs 40c to $10.00 per minute depending on plan and carrier.
Cost for other to call you $5.00 up to $20.00 per minute depending on carrier (if on Pivotel it's the cost of a Mobile call.

End of the day there is not on type of communications that is 100% perfect but with a HF radio and a sat phone you getting close to it.

HF is no better then Satellite phone and Satellite phone is no better then HF..... it's how you use it and what you want.

Best thing to have for travelling is Next G mobile, UHF, Satellite phone, HF and a PLB.

It comes down to what price you put on LIFE and sense on security.

Sure they seem expensive but it's not unusual for a 4x4er to spend $1000+ on 8 driving lights, $4000 on a HUGH suspension lift and $5000 on wheels and tyres.... plus all the other gear...... suppose a HF radio, PLB and Satellite phone doesn't have the same visual or bragging appeal as the other gear..... no use having all the other gear if you can't live to brag about it.

No matter what comms you have it's still cheap life insurance..... all depends on what's you priorities are.

And before all the knockers reply..... this is my views and I don't really care if you've travelled a million kilometres over 40 years and you have never needed comms and you think it's a waste of money!

All I know is I have most bases covered if some thing goes wrong.

AnswerID: 476963

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:40

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:40
Nothing to knock about that post. Thanks for the detailed information. Cheers
FollowupID: 752120

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:53

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:53
Thanks for the overview - great summary of pros and cons - of course we all carry EBIRBs so that is the last line of communications in a real emergency.

This is my thread and I am interested in everyone's views no matter what they are.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 752140

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 09:41

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 09:41
Just reread my post and it should read .....

We carry 7 types on communications on board:-
1) Next G mobile phone.
2) Next G modem.
3) Iridium Motorola 9555 sat phone with car kit and external antenna.
4) Spot messenger.
5) GME PLB with GPS.
6) Icom IC 7000 HF radio.
7) Icom UHF radio and 2 x 5w UHF hand helds.

Item 6 is a IC-f7000 HF radio and not a IC 7000 HF radio..... different type of radio!
FollowupID: 754129

Reply By: The Landy - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:28

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:28
This discussion comes up on a semi-regular basis, and usually there is a plethora of information provided, mostly in support of one or the other.

It shouldn’t come down to a debate over which is better, because the reality is that neither will outperform the other in various situations all the time. So your choice comes to one of two alternatives.

1/ Buy the one that will suit your needs best in most of the situations you feel you will find yourself in, or

2/ Buy both.
AnswerID: 476983

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 22:43

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 22:43
Thanks for all the great comments - good pros and cons for both.

As I am not all that wrapped in the HF community type stuff and I need something that can be easily moved from car to car I think that when the $$$ come available I will go the satphone route.

However the general broadcast/listening ability of the HF is a real plus but doesn't over ride my basic requirements.

Thanks to everyone who provided input.

Cheers

Garry
AnswerID: 477253

Follow Up By: Paul W11 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:58

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:58
hi all,
many thanks for the info and discussion, especially the detail from olcoolone, a great summary.
it sounds as though most of the travellers discussing this topic are often heading into more remote areas of the country.
our family are heading off on our first big trip and the plan is to stay on sealed roads heading from melb, via the red centre to darwin, down along the coast of WA and back along the nullabor.
we are considering all options in terms of 'being prepared', and are thinking on the routes we are taking, in case of emergency we are on reasonable well populated roads and the 3G network will give 'reasonable coverage' in most of our destinations.
we know its always a personal decision re how much 'cover' you opt to take but we'd be interested in peoples thoughts on whether we are being very naive here
cheers
paul
FollowupID: 753012

Sponsored Links