Ideas for a tarp over camper trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 06:30
ThreadID: 91708 Views:17915 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm after some advice. I have a camper trailer measuring approx 5.5m x 4.7m and want to put a tarp or similar over the top to protect it from birds etc and also rain.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best and easiest way to do it? I don't really want to have to carry a heap of extra poles and spreaders if I can avoid it.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers,
Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:01

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:01
Is this for whilst camping or storing.... or travelling?
AnswerID: 477160

Follow Up By: jmharris - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:02

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:02
Hi Royce,

The tarp is for while camping mate.

Jon
FollowupID: 752504

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:13

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:13
From your question I take it you want one to take camping. We looked at solar blankets but were put off by the price. Some buy silver insulation and have it stitched along the centre. It comes off a roll but we could not find a local business who would sell just a few metres. So we just bought a silver tarp to suit our length, cost about $35. We carry extra poles for annexes so we did not have to carry any extra for the tarp. We use octopus type straps to fix the ends of the tarp and a few poles along the side. How many poles I use depends on how long we are set up for and how hot it is. The tarp does work better if there is a space between the tarp and the canvas, but even if is lays on the canvas it makes a big difference. If cost is not an issue the purpose make solar blankets are the go. When I priced them they were about $300.
Kevin
AnswerID: 477161

Follow Up By: jmharris - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:06

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:06
Thanks Kev. I have looked at the solar blankets and i'm a bit like you in terms of the price. And plus I probably don't use it enough to warrant the expense of the propper blanket.
Do you have any photos of the camper with the tarp on it?
FollowupID: 752506

Reply By: Bernie C - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:25

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:25
Hi Jon,
I run a 6x6 metres tarp with a centre pole. It is the last thing into the camper trailer so it is the first to get out. Yes set up can be a pain, but so is setting up the camper in the rain or the heat of the day without it. The centre and centre end poles I off set to one side so they are more over the peak of the campers roof the n lean the bottom off one end pole and back the camper in.
Then is all stays nice and dry, most times we don't use the annex roof over the tail.
I have a bigger 7x11 metres tarp for extended stays

AnswerID: 477173

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 13:09

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 13:09
G'day Jon, I have used silver tarps over the C/t & rarely do I not put it up. Procure
one of a suitable size..I allowed a metre all around. I have one to suit without the
annex roof erected & another that will cover both. It takes little time to erect. The
secret is in how you fold it... Assuming there is no impediment to dragging the folded tarp over the erected tent..proceed as follows..Lay tarp out top side up..grasp each side one metre from centre line & fold to centre..repeat till all folded. Do same on other half. You end up with 50cm concertina folds. Fold one half over other
then fold or roll from one end...a bag is best to store it. Check that tarp is orientated
in right direction before starting to fold.
To erect,,tie a rope to the free end of the folded tarp & pull over tent from trailer
side. You can then pull each half out easily in each direction. I use oco straps to
attach as required. Quick & simple..no wet pack ups, no dirt, no leaks..all good.
If you use one that covers the annex roof...mark the appropriate spots & put
eyelets where the pole pins contact the tarp...slip the tarp on the pins & ropes on
top. Repeat this if your setup has other poles in play.
Naturally, this process is easier up if you have assistance. I did not use any extra poles
or spreaders..the tarp rests on the roof. cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 477188

Follow Up By: jmharris - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:04

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:04
Thanks for the idea oldbaz. By chance would you have any photos of how it looks once on the camper?

Cheers,
Jon
FollowupID: 752505

Sponsored Links