2000 GU 4.2ltr Patrol Diesel Sub Tank

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:11
ThreadID: 91716 Views:8273 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,

I picked up my 2000 GU Patrol 4.2ltr Diesel Last night and i went and filled up both tanks the main and the sub. I wanted to see if the sub tank worked so i pushed the button no light came on at all. How do i know if it is working or do i have to wait till the main tank is a bit empty? I have checked the sub tank fuse under the dash and that is fine.

Much appreciated

Adam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter B6 - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:22

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:22
Hi Navara09,

The sub tank fills the main until the it either empties the sub tank or the main tank is full. I'm guessing from your words is that you filled both tanks first, so the sub tank can't fill the main until you use some first.

Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 477199

Follow Up By: Navara09 - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:25

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 14:25
So when that happens a light will appear?
FollowupID: 752369

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:17

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:17
Yes it should. The tank and light will not activate while the main tank is full. If you have half emptied the main and then push the sub tank button, the light should appear. If not, and the pump does not appear to be working (ie levels on tanks don't change while you are driving about, check your fuses. From memory, the vehicle has to be running for it to pump fuel (I could be wrong there...it's been a couple of years). You may also get some benefit by resetting the computer by disconnecting the car battery for ten minutes and then reconnecting.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 752374

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:33

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:33
Doh, didn't see the bit about the fuse Pete. ;-)

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 752375

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:48

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 15:48
You will also notice that when the main tank is down a bit each time you start the vehicle about 1 ltr is pumped over from the sub tank.

You can check and see if the pump is working by starting the vehicle (once the main tank is lower than 3/4 full) push the sub tank button then open the main tank filler cap and you will see the fuel being pumped into the filler about 75mm down the tube.

This is how my 2000 4.2td Patrol works.
As said above the sub tank pump will not work if the main tank is full.
If nothing works then reset as described above.
The easiest way is to disconect the battery negatives at the post.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477202

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 03:46

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 03:46
Dodger
Correct, !
The main tank has to be just under 3/4 full (1/4 mt) and then hit the Sub tank button. If things are working properly the switch in the dash will light upand it will transfer the contents, or most of it.

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 752450

Reply By: Inflataduck - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 21:48

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 21:48
navara
my 2004 patrol will turn on aux tank (switch will light up) for about 15 seconds even if both tanks are full, every time you start the car the sub tank will pump for a few seconds so always have fuel in sub tank or your pump will have a short life, also if you just change the fuse it will not reset the switch so you must disconnect the battery for a few mins this resets the switch often if the brake light fuse is blown I have to reset the sub tank switch if you search this forum you will find a lot about this sub tank switch as it catches every owner until they are told
good luck
AnswerID: 477243

Sponsored Links