TV aerial

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 18:23
ThreadID: 91721 Views:2168 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Which TV aeria lto buy for our van. we plan on travelling in remote areas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:02

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:02
First of all forget any of the rediculous little plastic things like the " happy wanderer", the proper aerial contractors have been laughing at them for decades....they are a joke and no better than bunny ears.

If you are traveling widely, you need a combination aerial that will do both VHF and UHF frequencies.

My starting point recommendation would be a Matchmaster Digimatch DE13.
This is an aerial designed by a major antenna manufacturer and is a solid performer...it is an updated version of an aerial that has been arround for over 20 years

I used to carry one of these ( the previous model) as a survey aerial and it was in and out of the truck several times a day, and i would routienly toss it into a bush rather than carry it back down the ladder...it traveled fully assembled just tossed on top of all the other stuff in the van.

combine that with a telescopic mast and it will do you very well.

If ya want a bit more go, look at a DC21A, from the same maker......its not designed for caravans but it is a solid and compact antenna..if the rear reflector bars bother you you can just take em off..and sacrifice some VHF gain.

Im not sure where you are and who deals matchmaster in your area but if you ring 1800 237 452 they should put you onto a dealer near you.

If you want to step back...I'd rather not, you could go to a DE7 which is a smaller version of the DE13....and they are carried by Jaycar.

I used to be an aerial contractor and a matchmaster dealer, but no longer any commercial connection.

All the other aerial manufacturers will have a caravan aerial, but none as tough and effective as the matchmaster.

cheers

AnswerID: 477218

Follow Up By: p_marns - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 23:35

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 23:35
Totally disagree Bantam, I use a happy wanderer and it picks up everywhere that any uhf vhf will.When it wont pick up you need satelite. I dont know what you call remote but we went from brisbane to birdsville, up to boulia, across to alice then ayers rock, up to wycliff well, across to camooel, up to the gulf, back down through cloncurry, barcauldine to emerald then home, and it worked almost everywhere, better than most in fact. And what no one cauld believe was I had no pole and just leant it against the wall of the tent, and it cost 25 bucks on ebay. Happy wanderer for me.
FollowupID: 752510

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 00:51

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 00:51
YEH thats the TV antenna business all over.......ya speak to plenty of customers that recon their dodgy old rubbish produces a great picture.....then you go and look at their pictures and there are no surprises.

The happy wander is a low gain antenna with no front to back rejection...pretty much like bunny ears stuffed up a couple of pieces of conduit.

There is no way a happy wanderer will even come close to a decent high gain combination aerial.

I still have a field strength meter, and am prepared to prove what I say with proper test instruments.

In truly remote areas you will have bucklies chance of getting terestrial TV reception.

BUT where a decent aerial with a bit of gain will make a significant difference is where you are, in what we used to call,"a fringe area."

If you have a good clear open shot, a powerful transmitter and a bit of luck, it is possible to recieve respectable TV from 100Km out from the towers...especially on VHF....I would not call it AS standard signal levels, but viewable all the same.

The average person may not have the skill to pull the real long haul stuff but getting a picture in a minor town or in an out of town camping spot.......
In situations like that an antenna with some gain and a bit of directivity can make a considerable difference.

cheers
FollowupID: 752512

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:03

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:03
If you want/need TV in remote areas VAST satellite TV is the only option.
AnswerID: 477219

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:52

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2012 at 19:52
Yep agree with Rod, it won't matter what aerial you have in remote areas the only TV reception will be satellite. The one I use at the moment is a Altech VAST system, 68 channels 12 radio and can chose which state you want.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752400

Reply By: Wayne&Gaby - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 20:04

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 20:04
Hi,
I have a Matchmaster Digimatch DE13 and booster, ok when close to towns, but hopeless in remote. About to purchase a Minimax sat tv kit, have seen other people using them in remote areas while I was camped beside with no reception from my Matchmaster Digimatch DE13. Good luck.

Wayne
AnswerID: 477447

Sponsored Links