Battery Charger

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 21:41
ThreadID: 91749 Views:2836 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am having a battery installed in my Dove so that we can use a few 12V items at times.
Will I need any sort of battery charging system - as in a Projecta charger or is that simply when managing dual-batteries in your tow vehicle.

If I do - I would like to have it all done at the same time.
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:20

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:20
I take it the aux battery in the Dove will be charged from the tow vehicle when towing?

A 240v battery charger is a good idea and more of a convenience thing, it's good practice to charge batteries with the correct 240v charger every now and again...... and to keep the battery on float when in storage.

Our ultimate camper is on charge when ever it's in storage.... and when travelling of the tow vehicle or solar.
AnswerID: 477314

Follow Up By: garytee - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:26

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 22:26
Thank you for your post.
Is the 'Projecta' installed in the Dove or the car?
FollowupID: 752507

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 23:02

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 23:02
Your going to have to give me some more information re: Projecta..... is it just a battery isolation or a 240v charger.

If it's a Projecta battery isolator and your not running a second battery in the vehicle then it doesn't matter if it's in the Dove or tow vehicle..... it can go in either' what ever is easier.

Most of the time we will fit it in the tow vehicle unless stipulated by the customer and in some installations we will run two..... one in the tow vehicle to isolate the starter and aux battery and another in the camper to isolate the 3 way fridge when on 12v.

By the way we don't sell Projecta products except for their dual display volt meters.... expensive but good.
FollowupID: 752509

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:22

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 07:22
Garytee,

My advise is to make sure you can charge your van battery from the vehicle alternator while travelling.
The best way to do this is to install a dc-dc charger in the van as close to the battery as practical. This will ensure you get maximum charging capability while the engine is running. A heavy duty twin cable is required to be installed from the starting battery to a 50 amp anderson connector at the rear, then the van cable is plugged into the connector. The dc-dc charger will have an in-built isolator to protect the starting battery and fuses at each end to protect against a short circuit.
If not employing a dc charger, at least ensure an isolator is fitted to the circuit, usually in the engine compartment.

Whether you have a 240v/12v charger installed as well, that is up to you. This will enable charging to occur if at a powered camp site where 240v is available.

Another option is to just use a "portable" 240v charger which you can connect to the van's alternator input circuit. This works well on my Ctek dc-dc charger I have installed in my camper. (I do however also have a 240v/12v charger installed in the camper.

The maximum setup is to have a "dual purpose" dc-dc charger where a solar panel input can be also employed. The Dual port dc charger accepts input from either the vehicle alternator or a solar panel and will determine which dc source is the best.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477326

Reply By: LeighW - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:57
If your going to stay mainly at powered sites and your power usage is small then a AC charger should do fine.

If you intend to camp at un powered sites often then you will need to charge the battery from the vehicle. A simple isolator setup with good quality heavy cable and anderson plugs is a good start and cost effective. I wouldn't bother with a DC DC charger initially as the cost is high and in most instances you don't need one and you can always add one into the system at a later stage if you find it is required.

Cheers
LeighW

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477332

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:57
Hi Gary

Perhaps this picture will help.

Regards

Derek from ABR

AnswerID: 477333

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:02

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:02
Here is the car side of things to charge while you drive.

Regards

Derek
FollowupID: 752523

Sponsored Links