Coil spring spacers for my Hyundai Terracan

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 14:53
ThreadID: 91766 Views:4734 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Not sure how many members own Terracan's, but I will ask the question and I guess I'l find out.
I have a 2005 CRDi terracan hylander, I had the "Trek n Tow" installed at new, since then I have replaced the shocks (stuffed after 5 years) and installed rear air bags ( I tow a 1200kg CT). With that set up I like the ride and the handling but would like to lift the car a bit (40-50mm would be nice) without changing the suspension.
Has anyone fitted "coil spring spacers", if so how did it go, how hard is it to do, and where did you get them
(By the way, "Trek n Tow" is the heavy duty suspension/tow pack installed by Hyundai, it involves upgrading springs/shocks front and rear, torsion bars, and installing a Haymen reece stlye tow bar.)

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:28

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:28
Coil spacers are a no no.... some guys on the Hilux forum ran them and ended up breaking strut bottoms and doing other damage.

5-10mm max are OK for levelling a vehicle.

Do it properly and do it once and you will not have a problem, on any vehicle it pays to get uprated springs, Torsion bars, arms, drop boxes, shockers and struts.

From Ironman....
http://www.ironman4x4.com/pdfs/multimedia_pdfs/rocknroll_terracan.pdf

AnswerID: 477401

Follow Up By: Member - David T5 - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 14:36

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 14:36
Excuse my ignorance, but whats a "drop Box"
FollowupID: 752633

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:51

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 17:51
Bu$$er....I've broken my suspension....NOT! I've had coil spacer fitted as part of an overall suspension upgrade in my D40 that I had installed by one of the most reputable 4WD Mechanics in Canberra area. The spacers are part of a, what I believe is a well balanced arrangement comprising Ride-Pro springs and shocks and Snake Racing spacers. I've now done nearly 80,000km on the setup with absolutely no problems at all and this includes some serious off-roading for about half that distance.
FollowupID: 752650

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 23:49

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 23:49
If the springs are designed right in the first place for a suspension lift there is no need for spacers unless getting ride heights right and I don't understand why a suspension company would offer spacers instead of correct length springs.

Patrol22, I think you are getting mixed up with coil spring spacers and strut spacers .... this post was as said about coil spring spacers.

Spring spacers are used to balance a vehicle left to right and not to give a substantial ride height.

Strut spacers what I think your talking about are a quick, cheap and nasty way of getting a lift..... and if you read some of their spiel it seems every vehicle with raised coils is wrong and will not perform right.

As the name suggests from Snake Racings web site says "Eco Lift".... I think Eco stands for economy.

From Snake Racing web site...
"Snake Racing Coil Strut Spacers are designed for vehicles that do not require heavier coil springs in the front. If your vehicle is fitted with heavy optional extras ie bull bar, winch you require a strut & spring upgrade."

FollowupID: 752688

Reply By: patsproule - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:53

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:53
It's essentially a Gen 2 Pajero underneath so lots of options for upgrades without having to resort to spacers.
AnswerID: 477418

Reply By: Member - Minty (SA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 15:23

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 15:23
Hi Dave

I have a Terracan. Initially I put the Ttrek 'n' Tow pack on but found this useless, so I put on the Ironman suspension. It was relatively cheap and gave me the 50mm lift I was looking for. I had PolyAir Bags so kept these in for when towing heavier loads.
There is limited front suspension travel so I had to cut some off the top of the bump stops to avoid bottoming out all the time...about 10mm. The front suspension is easy to adjust being a torsion bar setup. Have a look HERE under the Terracan section (down the bottom of the page) for ideas and info. The Terracan is a greatly under estimated vehicle and good value to boot.

Cheers
Brad
AnswerID: 477570

Sponsored Links