Birdsville Developmental Road sealed sections???

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 20:58
ThreadID: 91771 Views:6532 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Talking to by BIL in Sydney last weekend. He travelled from Birdsville to Windorah in 2010 and told me that he had seen at least three road crews sealing sections of the road between Birdsville and Betoota. I understood that from the junction with the Diamantina Developmental Road to Birdsville was all dirt. Can someone who has been along the road recently give me an update please? Is this yet another adventure starting to disappear?
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:32

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:32
Hi Kevin

You have me thinking now. We were also through there in 2010 and from memory, the bitumen started a before the junction of the Diamantina Development Road. Yes I can remember that there were road works taking place and not unless things have changed very quickly, it will still be a good dirt road to travel on.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477382

Reply By: eighty matey - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:38

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 21:38
Hi Kevin,

there are three sections of bitumen.
They have beenput in for safe overtaking and, more importantly, they can be used for RFDS to land and take off.

The road to Birdsville won't be bitumen for a while but there is, relatively speaking, a fair bit of traffic heading to and from Birdsville now. Especially when the races are on and through the cooler months.

Hoo roo,
eighty matey.
AnswerID: 477383

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:14

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:14
doesn't help when they get flooded in. May sound strange, but with the current flooding out that way it is good to know that mother nature still has some of her cycles functioning after all we have done to her. Not good about the flooded houses, but the country does need a good flood for so many reasons which are beneficial such as cleaning out blue green algae, and redistrubuting fertility. Grew up in the roma and also saw the great flood in charleville from the roof back in the 80's. If the bitumen is there for the RFDS (god bless them), then that is ok by me. Just leave the rest.

shane c5
FollowupID: 752579

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:29

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 22:29
They won't seal it because then they'd have to maintain it.

It's good having the sections for an evac if needed. It's a long way from anywhere.

eighty matey
FollowupID: 752581

Reply By: Member - John R (cQld) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 23:01

Thursday, Feb 09, 2012 at 23:01
And maybe the new Betoota bypass has been sealed as well (it was only under construction when we went past last August)??

Cheers, John
AnswerID: 477387

Reply By: Member - PaulJ (SA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:32

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:32
Dear Kevin
Travelled the road in late August 2011 Prado and Pioneer Onyx camper. Mostly dirt but in very good condition. Road crews continually maintaining damaged sections.
No heavily corrugated sections at time of my trip but plenty of small sharp stones.
Avoided any tyre problems by not travelling too fast.
Plenty of traffic about also.
Well worth the trip but suggest you check conditions at before setting out.
Most likely problem would result from unexpected rain with some sections likely to be boggy and would get slippery pretty quickly.
Best wishers
Paul

AnswerID: 477423

Reply By: Member - PaulJ (SA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:34

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:34
Dear Kevin
Travelled the road in late August 2011 Prado and Pioneer Onyx camper. Mostly dirt but in very good condition. Road crews continually maintaining damaged sections.
No heavily corrugated sections at time of my trip but plenty of small sharp stones.
Avoided any tyre problems by not travelling too fast.
Plenty of traffic about also.
Well worth the trip but suggest you check conditions before setting out.
Most likely problem would result from unexpected rain with some sections likely to be boggy and would get slippery pretty quickly.
Best wishes
Paul

AnswerID: 477424

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:40

Friday, Feb 10, 2012 at 13:40
Thanks to all respondents for the information. You have confirmed what I was told. We are not planning a trip at this point but it is most definitely in the bucket list. We had to turn back from the southern end of the Birdsville Track in July last year because of rain. I know about outback roads when they get wet. I grew up in a house beside a gravel road.
Thanks again.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477425

Sponsored Links