Finke Desert Race Info?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 07:58
ThreadID: 91797 Views:5011 Replies:4 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, looking for some information about the Finke Desert Race and camping along the route. Realise it is open slather to camp anywhere along the route but can anyone suggest a good spot to camp? I know that is a bit open ended, but some one may know of a good spot and not be going...........
Thanks in advance.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:38

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:38
gooday John : soooo many places to camp & watch race maybe if you give us an idea on your plans .
Last year we camped near marryvale near Hugh stock route so we could get out to stuart hwy easy after race as we were heading south , didn't have to return to Alice .
The northern end inc start is were most people are , mostly very fast track & the finke end is tighter track not so fast & a lot less people .
cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477479

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:48

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:48
Nick, thanks for the reply, I was thinking some where near the stock route, for the same reasons as you. The other place I was thinking of was near Colsons Pinnacle. Will be coming from the South, don't plan to go into Alice at this stage. Cheers. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752711

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:19

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:19
I dont think I need to tell you how cold it can get or how to get there !!!!
let us know if you need more info on the race etc
good luck Jonh hope you have fun .
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752714

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:28

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:28
Thanks Nick, I do know how cold it can get and the way, LOL. Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752715

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 13:07

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 13:07
Gday John,
Let us know a bit more about yourself and your plans and it will be a bit easier to give you some ideas.
eg, do you want to camp near others?
is distance an issue?
can you go down the day before?
are you taking kids?
are you taking bikes or quads?
how are you set up for camping /do you need shelter?
do drunken yobos bother you etc.

Cheers
AnswerID: 477488

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 13:23

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 13:23
Hairy, not drunken yobbos, no kids, ok to camp near others as long as they aren't yobbos, LOL. Can get there a couple of days before, no bikes or quads. We are welll set up for camping. Distance not an issue.

Think that answers all questions. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752720

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:16

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:16
Ok.......
Any where between Alice and deep well is usually lined with people and is where the drunken yobbos on bikes, quads and cars hoon all night. Its possible to find a spot along that section where it is quite but very unlikely.
From Deep Well to Rodinga (Maryvale turn off) the people thin out a bit and you dont get as many yobbos but probably isnt the most exciting bit of track as they pretty well stick to the road and pass at around 200kmh in a cloud of dust.
From Maryvale to Bundooma the numbers thin out again and you are a lot more likely to get a campsite to yourself (except for Bundooma as its a check point) and can get out before the sweeps if your in a hurry.
After Bundooma you wont come across too many camps (other than Mt Squires)until Finke where I used to camp in the sand hills.
You are not allowed to camp in the Finke river or anywhere South of it except for Race Camp (Start/Finish) which is absolutely packed and not a place to camp unless involved in the race.
Just remember that a lot of people have camped in the same spot for years and meet a lot of people there each year, so if you happen to camp in their spot they wont just move on because your there......meet your new neighbours! LOL Just have a good look around and make sure it doesnt have tat "lived in feeling" an old fire or a sign out on the road. A lot of people even go down a couple days area and rope their campsite off and mark it.

Well I havent exactly told you where to camp, rather where not to, but It hopefully will give a bit of an idea of areas.......one other thing........avoid driving back on Sunday as the road gets absolutely mad! Stay back one extra night and drive back without all the cowboys!

Hope his helps

Cheers
FollowupID: 752721

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:32

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:32
Hairy, thanks for that info, much appreciated. Will file it away for fututre reference. I was also thinking of camping down near Finke, but discounted it because of the proximity to Finke, if you know what I mean.........

Lots to consider and thanks once again.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752722

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:55

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:55
I wouldnt let that bother you.........I camped just out of Finke for years and never had a problem. A mate of mine lived at Finke so we used to borrow their truck and loader to collect wood. After a couple of years the blackfellas used to have a pile of wood waiting for us when we got there......we would give them a couple of beers but let them know that a couple is a couple and no more! There is usually a footy carnival on that weekend so they are all tied up with that. You may get a couple of visitors (unlikely) but they have always been polite and dont humbug. Dont let the blackfellas deter you if thats what you mean......their not a bad mob down there generaly.
I can give you a good spot down that way if you decide to go down that far.
FollowupID: 752724

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 02:06

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 02:06
I sent that mm.....did you get it?
FollowupID: 752762

Reply By: Triggy - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:47

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:47
We camped 10Klm north of Finke township with a long sandhill behind us. Very quiet spot with only 1 other campsite in viewing distance approx 300m away. Stayed there for 3 nights to see the entire race. Went for a walk to the top of the sandhill (about 200m from campsite) and could see approx 1klm of the track. Great spot and will camp there again on our next trip. Heap of stutters/ whoopdedoos along this part of the track so was interesting watching the cars, buggies and bikes traverse this part of the track. Even had the odd bike ride over to us looking for some fuel to get them the last 10klms.
It is certainly a great place and race. Some people left on the Monday after the last lot of bikes went through ( around 1pm I think) We waited until the following morning and headed back south to Dalhousie Springs. Very easy to get out. Alot of people camp directly on the North side of the Finke River: bit too crowded for our liking.
AnswerID: 477544

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 13:48

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 13:48
Triggy, thanks for that, will be camping somewhere near to there I think. Looking forward to it. Cheers, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752800

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:06

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:06
Good point about the fuel! We used to take a Jerry of fuel in the end so we could top up those who were running low.......it was easier to give them a bit of fuel than driving them into race camp every time someone pulled up. Might be worth a thought if your driving a diesel and camping that end?
FollowupID: 752823

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:18

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:18
Hairy, agree, will take a jerry or two............... John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752825

Follow Up By: Triggy - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 19:07

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 19:07
John, I just checked my trip log and our location was actually 12km N of the Finke footy ground. There is a long sand hill on the western side of the track running parrallel with that section of the track.

Re the fuel, the bike rider was after Premium ULP but we couldn't help as we were Diesel. There were 1 or 2 bike riders that rode past us with rear flat tyres so they had a bit of a ride to still make it the last 12k's to base.
FollowupID: 752829

Follow Up By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 19:58

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 19:58
Triggy, thanks, think we will enjoy our time watching the race. Cheers. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752838

Reply By: DesF - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 19:35

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 19:35
Hi, We usually camp about 1 k north of Finke oval , just near the big jump, need to get there early , but never a problem with locals.
A couple of toilets set around there, could be a bit noisy at night as a lot of riders etc camp in that area, and service and repairs going on, which we want to be involved in anyway.
we usually follow the sweep up to the Hugh stock route and head out that way, called into Chambers Pillar last trip,
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 477676

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:26

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:26
Des, thanks, good idea about the sweep. Cheers, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 752988

Sponsored Links