Caroona creek

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 13:48
ThreadID: 91799 Views:1677 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
While searching the web for camping spots I can across caroona creek. Anyone camped there lately? We're looking for places to camping for weekenders. Any suggestions for other places?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 20:58

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 20:58
Hi Louie the fly

I am very surprised that no one has answered your request. It is a great spot and it is very different to the other type of country that you will pass as you make your way in.

I have to admit that I have never camped there, as it is quite close to were we live...I know a very poor excuse. There is a designated camping area and some very interesting things to see out that way.

Here are some images of what you can expect to see out that way, or better still, combine it with the Dares Hill Scenic Drive, see my Trek file that I did for EO a number of years ago. Here is the link : Dares Hill Scenic Drive

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Enjoy the area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477511

Reply By: Member - John N (SA) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 23:52

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 at 23:52
G'day Louie,

We've camped at Caroona Creek a couple of times in the area of the old shearing shed and enjoyed it very much. Its a great drive in from north of Burra and then out to the south towards Redbank through some old gold mining areas. There are some interesting old ruins too and the old Sir Hubert Wilkins homestead is worth a visit. I've got the Oziexplorer track file for our trip that follows the back tracks through Mt Bryan if you are interested. A good weekender from Adelaide.

I was reading a recent DENR article on Caroona which stated that wood fires are banned altogether there. I note on Steven L's photo it gives between dates which is the fire danger period, but it might pay to have a look at the website and be prepared to take gas.

Cheers

John
AnswerID: 477519

Follow Up By: louie the fly - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 19:09

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 19:09
Thanks John. Will the track file work in a Garmin GPS? It does look good from Stephan's photos (thanks for those) and I think it will be just what we're looking for.

Louie
FollowupID: 753325

Follow Up By: Member - John N (SA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 23:06

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 23:06
It should do Louie. If you have Oziexplorer and Ozi is configured for Garmin, there is an option under the Garmin button (across the top) to send a track to the GPS. You can send waypoints too. There may be other ways, but that is the only method we use. Let me know your email and I can send you the track file.

Cheers

John
FollowupID: 753368

Follow Up By: louie the fly - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:07

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:07
That'd be great John. Thanks. I'll message you with my email address.
FollowupID: 753447

Follow Up By: louie the fly - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:10
I forgot, I can't message you coz I'm not a member any more. My email address is ovfcwebmaster@adam.com.au

Regards
FollowupID: 753448

Sponsored Links