Hema and Apple and perhaps Android?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:23
ThreadID: 91813 Views:2874 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hema maps announced recently that they have an app that will turn an iPhone or iPad into "move on the map" navigation system without the need to be connected to any other device. Price around $180 I believe and it contains maps for all of Australia.
I sent them a email asking if they planned an app for Android systems. Their reply was that they were looking at it but as yet "do not have a time line for its completion"
Would any Android users be interested in this app? I just thought the more interest the quicker it is likely to appear.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:15

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:15
Oziexplorer have an android app.

Alan
AnswerID: 477547

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:32

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:32
And you can use all the hema maps you already have with it!
FollowupID: 752788

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:51

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:51
And if you dont want to stump up $25 for ozi you can use androzic.
4x4 navigation is one area android has it all over apple. I have all of australia covered by hema and 250k and wa covered down to 50k and anything in between including geological maps. All on my phone and for a fraction of $180 with alot more detail
FollowupID: 752789

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:11

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:11
hat's good information. Thanks. I had looked at Ausiexplorer on the net and it looked only half done with a lot of functionality still to come. I hadn't heard of Androzic. Some homework to do.
Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477583

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:32

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:32
What sort of functionality do you want? Loads all maps and creates waypoijts and tracks just for starters.

Androzic is as good with a couple of usefully additions but biggest downfall and extremely important for me is its track creation is unstable.

Both ozi and andrizic run the same maps on my phone. My phone also sends gps via bluetooth to my laptop and runs ozi on that as well.

Unlike apple that runs 1 app at a time my phone does all of that together. 2 mapping apps and a gps over bluetooth app
FollowupID: 752826

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:50

Sunday, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:50
I don't know enough about the subject to realy be sure. My comment about Oziexplorer was a general one not a criticism.
I was in the market for a Kindle but had an offer of a low end android tablet for about $25 more so I thought it was worth the risk. And I'm more than impressed. Have only had it for a couple of days but its possible potential has me asking all sorts of questions and looking for answers. I opened up the maps app a few minutes ago and there is a blue dot flashing right where I live. I didn't think it had GPS but it must by the look of they. To save anyone asking it is a Meiying M10. It's going to give me hours of fun.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752827

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 06:10

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 06:10
Kevin.

The Hema map progrm is acutally 'Memory Map' rebadged. Memory map have released their program on android in beta form. It has stalled for a few months because of some personal issue with the developer ( according to their web site). Hema probably won't release theirs till it is fully finished in a few months, hence their comment re a time line, It works fine except one bug where it ocassionally locks up on a HTC desire.

Memory Map Android beta site

Follow the instructions to download it.

Here is a little secret. You can download Memory Map on your PC and Ancroid for free. Then from there you can download Hema maps from their digital map shop. If you do it that way it is $129USD ( about $120 right now) for a licence for 2 x PC and 2 x mobile devices ( Isomething, CE or Android). If you buy a Hema map from the apple shop you pay $179 for one Ipad licence and zero PC's. You can even download the Hema maps for 10 days for free to try them. It is a fantastic program on the Pc and allows you to plan your trips really well.

If you do this make sure you have your Android connected to Wifi and have the picture so it covers the entire region of the maps. Then download. You will need extra memory and from then on that map is in you android device and you don't need a connection.

AnswerID: 477613

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 06:14

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 06:14
And here is some info on the hema maps for download on the MM site.

Hema Maps for memory Map
FollowupID: 752860

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 09:04

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 09:04
Thanks for all that Boobook. I will work my way through it all. I downloaded Androzic successfully last night and have now confirmed that the tablet has GPS although GPS was not included in the promotional blurb. It's almost like something for nothing.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752872

Sponsored Links