Middle Lagoon

Submitted: Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 15:33
ThreadID: 91838 Views:1327 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I did a search and didn't find any up to date info. looking at heading here in July some time. Question is can you take a van?? Some people say no vans and other say that they have been in a van. I have a 16ft expanda?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 16:09

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 16:09
Hi Matthew. Went in there a couple of years ago and the track was mainly one set of deep wheel ruts in soft sand with high sides. Very hard to get off the track for any vehicle but more of a challenge if two vans meet. Track is about 19 klm long. It would pay to ring the camp ground to get the up to date conditions. There were quite a few vans when we were there.

A great spot - hope you can get in.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 477654

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 17:41

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 17:41
You can take a van in - plenty of people do, BUT the Leveque Rd can either be ok or hellish, re corrugations. The few vans we saw in there for our 3 night stay were mainstream ON road vans - even though they must have softened the tyres and taken it quite easy, the potential for damage to contents would be high at times - my guess is special packing would be required for a van trip up there. As mentioned above, the narrow sandy Rd in to Middle Lagoon is very good (or was, when we drove in a few years back).
They have a great looking website, but its short on content from my point of view. But hey....... once you get there, if the weather is perfect you'll see why people risk their vans to go up - it's near enough to outback heaven !
AnswerID: 477665

Reply By: jothefw - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:45

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:45
We visited Middle Lagoon in July last year. I suspect the road can vary from month to month, it was corrugated, soft sand when we were going in. It wasn't as bad as the rest of the Cape Leveque sections though.

We didn't see many vans in there, but there were a few.

We found the location lovely however it wasn't quite "perfect" - we were so far from the very, very basic (read not very clean) amenities that we set up our own drop dunny (with permission I hasten to add). There was a tap so we also set up a shower etc.

There is very little shade and I found the local dogs coming through camp quite unwelcome.

All that sounds very negative but Middle Lagoon itself is a delight. Take your snorkel! If you're a keen fisherman, you'll be happy too.
AnswerID: 477732

Reply By: Member - Matthew S (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:37

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:37
Thanks all for the advise. I will ring them and try book in.
AnswerID: 477835

Sponsored Links