Road from Kunawaritiji ( well 32) to Marble bar

Submitted: Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 17:57
ThreadID: 91840 Views:1798 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I plan to use the road from Kunawaritiji ( well 32) to Marble bar in June this year and would appreciate advice on the typical condition of the road. We will be towing an off road trailer and my main concern would be loose sand dunes.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 18:32

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 18:32
G'day, did it two years ago with a trailer, no problems at all. Have fun.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477669

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 18:53

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 18:53
Probably better than any road you used to get to Kunawaritiji. Couple of stoney patches but no issues.
The last 250km is either bitumen or as good as...

Couple of pics in the last half of this slideshow from 2008.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 477671

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 22:11

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 22:11
Hi Peter,

you have some great photos there. It looks like a great part of Australia.

We're heading through there in early August but we're driving up to Eighty Mile Beach, then onto Broome, etc.

How approachable are the Communities? The sunnies you had from Kiwirrkurra Community look cool. I'll have to check them out.

Hoo roo,
eighty matey
FollowupID: 752963

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:18

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:18
One of our favorite routes to the west.
We called into all of the western communities that trip. Depends on who you come across, but all were welcoming.

Cheerss,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 752978

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 22:12

Monday, Feb 13, 2012 at 22:12
It's a very good quality road with the odd rocky patch particularly around the edges of Lake Auld. You will encounter the odd corrugation and moreso in the areas of the Aboriginal communities. From Telfer to Woody Woody the road is usually in such a condition that you could land a plane on it. You cross a few dunes around Punmu but they have been cut to the core and topped in gravel. Cautious approach to the bends proceeding and post as the camber is somewhat off and the turns can be sharp and unexpected once you crest the rise. Bitumen from Woody Woody all the way north on the Rippon Hills Road. A very scenic drive, just watch the tri-trailer side dumpers carting manganese ore. I lost a windscreen to a fist size chunk flying from the back of one a few years back.

Some nice places to camp along the way as well at Carrawine, the Oakover and Nullagine Rivers.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477698

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 00:10

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 00:10
An easy run, no loose sand and as said, corrugations only near the communities. Because of less traffic, it is much less corrugated than other roads such as the Great Central. I have a blog on our trip (reverse order) from Marble Bar east in 2009. It was a very scenic drive in particular between the Woody Woody turnoff (and way to get to Carawine Gorge) and Marble Bar. The only hazard we found was the stones at Carawine Gorge - looked firm - but 7.5 tonne of rig sinking in them was not a fun afternoon. Hooray for Max Trax.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477705

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:52

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:52
- and just to make sure you get off at the right stop :O, of course Kunawarritji is near Well 33

Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752997

Sponsored Links