V8 Troopy - WARNING about water thru intercooler bonnet scoop

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:36
ThreadID: 91857 Views:9737 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have a 2 year V8 Troopcarrier. Recently I noticed rust in the engine bay, rusted hose clips, mold on bonnet noise material, rust on the screws for the glow plugs, oxidising engine etc.

The cause I discovered is that whenever it rains, and the car is parked, water flows thru the bonnet intercooler scoop and pours all over the engine. Obviously you wouldnt notice this when driving or if the car is garaged.

I reported this problem to Toyota - as a design fault - they said not their problem as it is "environmental". Unbelievable!

The scoop encourages water into the engine as it slopes down from the bonnet towards the engine. The engine has many shallow points (especially around the glow plugs) where the water will sit for days and days rusting everything.

Quite frankly, if I had known this I would NOT have bought the troopy!

The only way around this is to put a tarp over the bonnet when not in use.

This is rediculous and Toyota say not their fault !!

I also presume that, to differring degrees, this may be happening to any toyota vehicle with an intercooler bonnet scoop - you should check very carefully.

I would guess my new V8 engine will be trashed within 2 years from rain damage.

A Toyota service manager is interested to see if anyone else is having a similar issue?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:57

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:57
Has the vehicle driven on the beach & or do you live or drive in an area with 'acid rain'
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477726

Follow Up By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:23

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:23
Never - after rain if I open the bonnet you can see that lots of water has poured in through the bonnet scoop and over the engine and is then "sitting" on any of the low points of the engine, particularly the glow plug screws are under water.
FollowupID: 753032

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:02

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:02
Paul,
in normal use your engine will last a lot longer than 2 years. Obviously you look after your troopy and are disappointed with what has happened.

Our vehicles are put through hell with the amount of water and mud they are subject to. The water/mud combo eats through the aluminium boxes and transfer cases.

The biggest problem with these engines is water getting into the valley. From there it can't go anywhere and unless boiled off everything in there sweats. To make it worse there is foam down there that absorbs the water. Starter motor sits down in there and can be a problem.

Also the do seize in as well.

I am talking about extreme conditions but over time this will show up in vehicles that are used for the purpose they are made for.

Here is a photo of the valley and starter motor.

Image Could Not Be Found

Have a good one,
RA.

AnswerID: 477727

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:31

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:31
Paul,
Typo error. It should read that the glow plugs seize in and some can't be removed
FollowupID: 753026

Follow Up By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:25

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:25
The seizing of the glow is exactly what the Toyota service manager warned me about. Yet Toyota themsleves just claim environmental problem!!
FollowupID: 753033

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:43

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:43
Hi Paul,

This is rotten of Toyota but typical. Most manufacturers will not accept responsibility for design faults unless safety liability is involved. They may correct the fault in subsequent manufacture but not be prepared to rectify those already sold.

I do not know the design of the air scoop but would it be possible for you to construct a gutter at its lower edge with a tube leading the water away to drain?
This will of course not prevent air-borne water entry during driving but I understand that is not the problem as it will be promptly evaporated by the engine heat.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477731

Follow Up By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:26

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:26
I have thought about this but just not possible I'm afraid.
FollowupID: 753034

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:48

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:48
I have a 5 year old Hilux with the bonnet scoop and no problem. There are thousands of Troopy's with the same bonnet scoop and I have never heard of this before so perhaps as someone else mentioned acid rain, salt water intrusion or something else, can't imagine normal rain water doing this IMO.
AnswerID: 477733

Follow Up By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:29

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:29
It is not just water flowing over the engine from rain but the fact that it sits in any hollows of the engine. For days and days until you actually start the engine and boil it away which of course would also encourage rusting.

I don't think many people have heard about this yet as it is early days and most Troopys live in the outback where there is very little rain naturally.
FollowupID: 753035

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:33

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:33
Follow it through and see what Toyota suggest. Can you make something simple toi plug the hole? My Hilux sits out in the rain at days sometimes and haven't had this issue. I'm still not convinced however
FollowupID: 753040

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:16

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:16
I think your being little to pedantic.... mate it's a 4x4 but I can see where your coming from.

With your comment regarding the scoop and if you knew about the water getting in the engine bay you would of not bought it.... are you serious!

Obviously what the vehicle was designed for and it's ability wasn't high on you shopping list..... if it was comfort and looks I could of recommended something better for you and cheaper.

What was the words the harbour master said to the captain of that sinking Italian ship...." it's dark out side and you want to go home", you have a rugged 4x4 and "it's raining and you want to go home".... LOL
AnswerID: 477740

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:17

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:17
Really helpful Richard.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 753022

Follow Up By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:31

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:31
I bought the troopy at great cost exactly for its abilities in the outback where I spend a lot of time.

However, when parked in a driveway in Sydney simple rainfall is slowly destroying the engine. Even the Toyota service centre couldn't believe the damage being done.
FollowupID: 753037

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:39

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:39
Exploreaus, I have a solution for you. I want you to give it some serious thought. I do not want any commissions from this, perhaps just a slab of Corona's with a box of lemons and limes.

Design something simple to plug the hole, perhaps a plastic mold or something that easily slots into the hole and stops the water intrusion. Patent the design and sell it to all the Troopy owners around the world, casing your engine damage as one of the many motives, turn a negative into a money making opportunity and live happily ever after.!

Oh what a feeling that would be......................................

FollowupID: 753041

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:24

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:24
But that would lead to another problem... people would forget to remove it when travelling or not realise they had to remove it..... remember the tourist in the USA who climbed in the back of his rented motor home to make a coffee and crashed..... he thought when cruise control was engaged he didn't have to control the vehicles any more.

Maybe you could put a warning buzzer to warn people.
FollowupID: 753149

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:28

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:28
olcoolone, If it was designed correctly you'd see it on the bonnet, not that hard.
FollowupID: 753150

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 14:30

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 14:30
The "Motorhome Tourist" legend.
Yeah sure, you'll find him here Richard.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 753178

Reply By: River Swaggie - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:49

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 13:49
Hiya

I know this isnt much help but ive wondered over the years weather the air intake of these vehicles would have issues being exposed to deep river crossings and general driving when its wet....

Goodluck with the problem mate...
AnswerID: 477751

Follow Up By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:33

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 14:33
Don't think so - the problem here is that the engine gets a soaking whenever it rains. Unbelievable really.
FollowupID: 753039

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 17:19

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 17:19
So consider the chance of a heap of water being forced into the scoop if you do a water crossing deep enough for the water to go over the bonnet and most Cruisers will happely do this as long as it has a snorkel. I think the latest crop of utes and troopys are fitted with a snorkel standard. Now all that water will evaporate if the engine is hot enough but if you park up for a while and some of it stays behind as the engine cools....now what. Has no one experienced this???

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 753054

Reply By: Muntoo - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 17:04

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 17:04
Get rid of top mount intercooler and bonnet scoop altogether mate.

Get a front mount intercooler made up and reap the rewards. What you sell the genuine cooler for on ebay will probably pay for the cost of a new cooler and associated pipe work.

AnswerID: 477773

Follow Up By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 18:31

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 18:31
Maybe when the troopy is out of warranty. Thanks though.
FollowupID: 753068

Reply By: exploreaus - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 18:30

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 18:30
Maybe I need to describe the problem better?

Imagine pouring 1/2 a bucket of water over your engine twice a week. Then let the water sit on the engine etc for a day or two. Then do this for a few years.

Imagine the outcome?

The bonnet scoop slants down into the engine bay. So when it is parked and raining water flows over the engine.
AnswerID: 477787

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 22:13

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 22:13
Paul,

a solution of sorts. I have a protective grill placed over my intake. It won't stop it all but it deflects most water when stationary and the wide surrounds fit perfectly into the bonnet scoop not allowing water to channel down through the scoop into the engine bay.

Made by Multidrive Technology of Geelong. They fit them as a part of their standard GVM upgrades so may well sell you one if you give them a call.

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477809

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 00:54

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 00:54
Dude! I am not going to enter any debate re the OEM and their vehicle, which is a damn fine vehicle even if I say so myself. What I will do is give you a couple of simple cheap options to rectify the situation that only you and you alone have.

If you can afford to leave it sitting there out in the open between trips, then you can afford a cover to keep the water out.

Ever thought of lifting the bonnet and placing/dropping a sheet of plastic or similar material over the engine during the long intervals between trips.

Park the mother under cover might be an idea.

If you park it on slope, ensure it's facing downhill instead of uphill. (Most people park facing uphill rather than downhill as they refuse to or can't reverse into a driveway)

Extend your premises to accommodate the vehicle.

Get SWMBO to stand alongside the vehicle with an umbrella over the scoop when it's raining.

Give up, sell the 76 and purchase a 75 series cause it doesn't matter what you do to them.

Whatever happens, just do something, anything is better than nothing which is what is going to happen if you keep banging on to Toyota about it.

They have told you that the vehicle is designed to vapourise, boil off etc etc the water you are complaining of during 'normal usage, not 4 times a year usage. So if it does that then its fit for usage.

Just because you knowingly and willfully choose to leave the engine 'submerged' for weeks, months at a time then that is your 'secret business'.

Best of British luck in your endeavours.

DD

AnswerID: 477816

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:04

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:04
Paul,

maybe you just need to drive it more often. Sounds like a good excuse to go for a spin sometimes to me.

You could always sell it before you have any problems with it and hire one a couple of times a year.

Cheers
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477845

Follow Up By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:11

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:11
Paul,

I forgot to add that if you treat your vehicle like one of the family with love and caring, give it a cuddle sometimes when it needs it etc. even if it means doing something a little bit out of the ordinary, then that love will be repaid a hundred fold by reliability and good service.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 753180

Sponsored Links