Sold Qld Reg van in WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:51
ThreadID: 91863 Views:3360 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
We sold our old van Qld registered bus while in WA to a person in Victoria who was to come pick it up from a friends. It had 12mths rego which we were okay with her taking the money for but Qld transport told us the refund when plates are handed in by her in Vic must come to us. In good faith we payed her out the rego money upfront. Now we are told as she is the owner the plates become hers and she will get the refund. Does anyone know if this is right???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:59

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:59
If you sell a registered vehicle/van then the rego is owned by the new owner. If you want to keep the rego then you need to deregister it before selling.

Garry
AnswerID: 477739

Reply By: chek - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:18

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:18
Yes I was almost sure after thinking it through that is how it would go but having taken advise from Qld Transport we went ahead and handed over a bank cheque as buyer wouldnt trust us to refund money from Qld Transp to her. See her side and ours like will she take money and throw plates . Oh well just to get rid of this lady is worth the money lost . (not that we can afford that and thank you for the bad advise Qld Transport)!!! thanks for your reply will call that money a write off now.lol
AnswerID: 477741

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:30

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:30
hi chek
not all imfo given from license centers is correct as i found a little while ago spoke to 3 different staff at a wa center and got 3 completly diferent pieces of advice finally got a supervisor on the 3rd phone call and was told the other 2 were trainees and had given me their versions and interpretations that were wrong one has to be on gard
it shouldnt be that way but it can be
cheers
FollowupID: 753017

Follow Up By: chek - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:39

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:39
Lesson was learnt many times but still took advise given. Oh well sucker born everyday. lol. IF she had any decency she would return our cheque but I would die holding my breathe even though it is something we would do. Karma is a wonderful thing:-)
FollowupID: 753018

Reply By: old mate - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:33

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:33
I just sold a QLD registered car in SA to a SA owner. I rang Queensland Transport to inform them of the sale so I would not get parking/camera tickets.

I was told, once the plates are surrendered when the new owner puts SA plates on it, QT will be notified and any refund will be coming to me.

Not holding my breath, that's going to happen though.
AnswerID: 477767

Follow Up By: chek - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 19:58

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 19:58
We can only hope mate. We did a bill of sale and did put those conditions that the buyer would be responsible for all fines etc as of that date and it has been signed and sealed but didn't ring QT on it. We kept a copy for ourselves. Our number plates for that bus won't come off my Go Via online so I have just added the new car.
Tag is in this car we have anyhow.
Good luck with your refund . Money we can do with hey!
FollowupID: 753091

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:47

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:47
Just an aside.

I sold my camper trailer to a young couple here in SA who were from Vic.
Bank cheque and all was OK.
Did the usual Change of ownership details and about 2 months later received a notice of an unpaid toll charge in Victoria. As I had not paid the original charge it had grown to some 200 dollars.
I made a call to the roads people and was advised I had to pay.
When I asked why I was informed I was the owner of the vehicle.

As you are all aware TRAILERS travel for Free on Toll Roads.

I then asked who was driving the trailer on the jockey wheel and the single axle.
They decided to check the photo and behold the vehicle concerned was a trailer.

Makes you wonder who actually checks these photos and what training they undertake.
Car spotting 101.
Trailer spotting 102.
etc.

Geoff
AnswerID: 477769

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:56

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:56
We had a work trailer borrowed by a tradie that did not have a toll transponder in the car.
The toll cameras take photo's after the vehicle exits the toll area, and only gets a shot from the rear.
If the car number plate is obscured by the trailer, the trailer's registerd owner is sent the fine.
We received the payment notice, and had to report the driver's details to get the fine transferred to the driver.
This seemed to make sense to us, although someone driving a trailer only through the toll booth could happen.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 753139

Reply By: john j3 - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:15

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:15
On a 3 month trip last year from Vic to Qld I sold my van for a bigger one in Qld, my van had 12 months rego and the Qld van had 7 months when both sold, I completed my 3 month trip and on arrival back in Melb re-registered for Vic, on handing Qld plates in and receiving Vic plates was advised I would receive rebate of rego on my old van on balance when the old plates were handed in Qld which happened to be 2 weeks after I had sold in Qld, I presume the person who I had bought my van off would have lost rego rebate of around 2.5 months.
John J
AnswerID: 477823

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:28

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:28
When you sell a car or van you also sell any rego on it. Therefore by rights any refund goes to the person who owns the rego. The new owner.

Same with our car. Purchased it in NSW and when we handed the plates back in NSW after getting it registered in the ACT, WE got the refund. Why not! We owned it. Simple.

Phil
AnswerID: 477825

Follow Up By: chek - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 14:43

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 14:43
That's what we were quite willing to do but you can't transfer rego in WA on Qld vehicle and we said the one year rego went with the bus but the buyer insisted she get the money upfront because of info we and she got from QT and also Vic transport.

Plates handed in down there and sent to Qld, plates are in our (sellers) name as no papers to prove otherwise to QT. We went ahead and did what we thought was the right thing by giving her money for rego we were told we'd get. Honest enough she wont keep both and return to us but that is not going to happen. Karma may get her for the trouble caused by her and she may not get a roadworthy in Vic. (that is the nasty side of a woman coming out)

No matter as life goes on and we have now our new van and car but missing our bus as well. Money for nothing for one person but hey it is only money after all and not a life. We got bread and syrup and lots of weet bix.

I did think it interesting to get confilicting stories thanks ppl.
FollowupID: 753179

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:24

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 15:24
Hi Chek

Whatever happened did you sign the back of the registration papers. That's the main thing. Once you sign the registration papers over to the new owner you are also not responsible for any traffic etc infringement.

If the refund goes to you then buy yourself a few beers or send it to her. I doubt it will though.

Don't knock the women mate. If it was my wife she would have taken her own set of tools and overalls and checked everything. First time out in her car we had a flat. When I attempted to change it she gave me the biggest look that almost killed me. I stood back and she had the tyre out of the boot, car up, wheels swapped, car down and flat tyre and tools "properly" stored in the boot in under five minutes. I then thought: "Hey this is going to be a great relationship. We both like cars". 43 years ago and still married to her.

Phil
AnswerID: 477849

Follow Up By: P and JM - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 16:51

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 16:51
Hey Phil, the answer to that is; stop playing radio and possibly learn more about the rubber you are floating on HA! HA!
Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 753192

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:17

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 17:17
I must have ducked at the wrong time. What question. "floating on rubber" ?? Don't understand that one. I wasn't aware that I asked a question.

Phil
FollowupID: 753195

Follow Up By: chek - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 19:01

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 19:01
Nope we only did a Bill of Sale. She has copy of rego papers to change rego over. Did put in that all traffic infringements etc were hers as of that date. We to have copy and signed by 2 witnessess.

Mate she bought an 82bus on Ebay for the asking price and then two weeks later flew to Perth to drive it back in40d heat. Then she wanted out.
Who would buy without seeing and then complain there was rust in the door and not want it. She legally lost out and now it is somewhere, no idea where.
She did cost us a lot of money as is and was a very disturbed lady. We wont be sending her anything if we do get the money back as we payed upfront for rego like I said.
It was an 'as is' pick up only bus but we did deliver it out of town to her friends just to get rid of her

Owe that 'lady' nothin
FollowupID: 753212

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 19:25

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 19:25
I was only asking about your statement "stop playing radio and possibly learn more about the rubber you are floating on HA! HA"?

I thought that I had missed a joke or something. What did you mean by "stop playing radio and possibly learn more about the rubber you are floating on HA! HA"?

The last bit was to show you that not all women are a pain in the neck as you implied. I am proud of being married to one for 43 years who has some mechanical skills as well as a good legal brain and with heaps of common sense. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the document or how you sold the bus.

I was just hoping that you were not laughing at me and saying I was stupid or something. Fair go "chek" or whatever your name is.

Phil
FollowupID: 753219

Follow Up By: chek - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 21:49

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 21:49
In no way I was making any of the above implications. As a woman myself who has ran her own business for many years and also done the business side of my husband of 45yrs trucking business why would I?

Sorry if you took me the wrong way. This lady did cause us quite a bit of grief is all I was saying which I shouldn't have commented on.

My name is Cheryl by the way.

Have a good night
FollowupID: 753234

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 22:54

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 22:54
Hi Cheryl

Oh what a complicated language we have. And even more so when written.

No worries

I will have a good night. We are off for another drive into the high country on Friday night so tomorrow is "pack and check" the car day. Friday is out as I have my usual hospital visit.

You also have a good night.

Phil
FollowupID: 753238

Sponsored Links