Canopy for camping on top of

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 15:52
ThreadID: 91870 Views:1654 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have a dual-cab Hilux with genuine alloy HD tray that I will get a rear bar & plate roof-rack (Maxi-Rack style) added, to form a base to build on security screen doors & canvas covering. The idea is to use the top for a 8' long mozzie/dome tent with mattress inside; length of the ute tray is 6'. Is 2' of cab overhang OK for the rack, or is there going to be more wind resistance/noise, & is it better to go with a 6' rack & concertina the done tent to fit? The rack may get used for camping for a weekend every 2 months, so a bit of a squeeze for camping then may be bearable compared to to an increased fuel bill. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:26

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:26
Hi Cybermike, 2' is ok but do not attach to the cab, as both are independent to each other so when the body twists both move in different ways.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477766

Reply By: Cybermike - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:11

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:11
The top will be bolted on top of headboard bar & rear bar which will allow it to be transferred to any future utes. Do you think a wind-deflector on the front edge would be of benefit? I'm not intending to carry anything on top while motoring - just to put a mattress & tent on when stopped. Cheers.
AnswerID: 477829

Sponsored Links