Vitifrigo dp2600 12 volt compressor fridge

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 00:11
ThreadID: 91892 Views:5198 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Is it just us or does everyone have problems with this supposed top of the line fridge. We can't get the freezer to go below -9.5c. If we try adjusting the thermostat from the current setting of 3, the food in the fridge freezes but the freezer still won't go below -9.5c. The fridge was new (with van ) in march 2011. Going back to van maker is no longer an option. The thermostat was replaced by a well respected repairer in August but improvement was marginal at best. We will go back to camec again but any " user" input would be appreciated. We do have an additional 12v fan fitted to blow air out of the compressor area (turns on when the compressor fan cuts in). As an aside, does anyone know if the 2 door Waeco hdc 221 fridge/freezers are any better?.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 16:41

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 16:41
Hi Ian

Our Waeco is still working fine :)

Graeme
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477923

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 17:43

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 17:43
It must be a dodgy unit - they have a 2 year warranty - start thumping desks :-o) ! Don't worry about being too far from the van builder - they will only flick you on the the fridge supplier anyway (it will say that in your contract). For what it is worth, despite struggling a bit in high heat levels (understandable I think), our 150L 2 door Vitri. has been good overall - the freezer is by far the star performer of the two compartments ! Even in high heat, the freezer wins - but we have to 'manage' the lower fridge carefully at those times ....we use a small battery powered fan in there to stir up the cold air pockets.
AnswerID: 477932

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 18:13

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 18:13
G'day Ian,

We have a 130 litre Vitrifrigo with a remote compressor. As posted elsewhere on this forum, I have water-cooled the condenser. Despite the remarkable increase in efficiency (ie, 50% saving in compressor run time) I have the same issue as yourself - the freezer compartment won't go below about -9.

If power consumption is not an issue (eg at a powered site) we leave the plastic tray that slides in under the freezer compartment in place and adjust the thermo so we get a reasonable cabinet temp - about +4 at the bottom - don't want to freeze the veges. This gets the coldest possible freezer compartment.

If power consumption IS an issue we remove the plastic tray and wind back the thermo so cabinet temp remains about +4 at the bottom. Freezer temp is then about -7 to -8. Not ideal, but good enough for how we manage our food.

We use plastic boxes that fit neatly side-by-side and just fit between shelves. These reduce the amount of cold falling out (if I can put it that way) when you open the door

On long treks we run a car fridge as a real freezer and transfer frozen stuff as required.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477935

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 18:23

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 18:23
These fridges are fitted to all the vans in our owners' club. Within our club an issue for those living or travelling in hotter climates is the manufacturer's inadequate insulation around the fridge.

Because of the remote compressor, getting the fridge out to fix this is difficult, but those who have done it have made a significant improvement in performance and power consumption.

Won't fix your freezer temp - I think that's a design "feature" - but if you're chasing better overall efficiency it might be relevant.

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753319

Follow Up By: sonny - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 20:31

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 20:31
Frank

How have you water cooled the condenser of your fridge? Would love to, as if the efficiency increase is that great I'd been looking at doing the same.

Sonny
FollowupID: 753338

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 21:41

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 21:41
G'day Sonny,

Have a look here.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753354

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 23:05

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 23:05
Frank that is one of the most interesting and well written tech helps I have seen posted here, personally much more relevant than how to calculate tyre pressures to 1 psi etc.

thanks for posting that!
FollowupID: 753367

Follow Up By: sonny - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 20:47

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 20:47
Thanks Frank.
FollowupID: 753458

Reply By: murrayman - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 19:17

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 19:17
Gday ian, i have a vitry 230 litre in my van and she work like treat, make ice quicker than my fridge at home, even on really hot days. cheers mark
AnswerID: 477940

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 20:00

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 20:00
G'day Mark. Do you know what year your fridge was built? Apparently those made prior to 2008 were a much better fridge.
FollowupID: 753329

Reply By: murrayman - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 20:25

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 20:25
Gday ian, van delivered new september 2010 and delivery date was late waiting for the fridge to arrive so i would say it was hot off the boat around that time. cheers mark
AnswerID: 477947

Reply By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 15:33

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 15:33
Hi Ian,
We have a 2 door Vitifrigo also like you and from the beginning we had installed two computer fans above the fridge that pulled cool air up over the motors. I had nothing but problems when I first got it in 2009 and like you had the thermostat replaced within 2 months. We then had the fridge re-wired so that we had a heavier power line and took it straight through to the batteries so that the regulator would not keep cutting it out. They like to drop out if your voltage drops below 11 and it does not handle fluctuations in the batteries so each night when you drop down in amps the fridge cuts out.
I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND VITIFRIGO FRIDGE as they are designed badly and not made for Australia conditions. The freezer will never get any better which is annoying as you can't take ice-creams etc as these all require very low freezing temperatures to hold them in quality condition.
The main reason is they only have the condenser around the freezer and never had the freezer as a separate unit. We wanted to put a foam lining under the freezer but then the fridge would not work as you blocked off the cold air to the fridge. This is the problem that causes the freezer not to work efficiently and the fridge to freeze up. I am eventually going to change to a Waco.
No matter who I spoke to they all pushed me from pillar to post. We had our van custom made and I did research and thought this was the better one, but certainly I know now how wrong I was.
Cheers Julie
AnswerID: 478070

Sponsored Links