What's going on with Rooftop digital map updates?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 23:00
ThreadID: 91908 Views:4482 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've hunted high & low online & can't find a site anywhere, or shop for that matter, to purchase later issue Rooftop maps for OziExplorer.

I bought the original discs issued years ago & use them a lot. But there have been some great new maps issued particularly in East Gippsland & north of me here that don't seem to be available in digital format.

Rooftop maps are great, but if they don't keep their digital collection up to date I guess I'll have to either scan & calibrate my paper ones or move on to another map supplier.

Anyone know what's going on? (And yes I know the bloke who makes them is a little different by some opinions, so if that's the problem I'll just shrug my shoulders and move on. Great maps but paper only???...)

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 23:08

Thursday, Feb 16, 2012 at 23:08
Dave,
rooftop are no longer providing digital maps. They have stopped because ,allegedly, a gps provider used their maps without paying or acknowledging them. In other words, stolen them, allegedly..
So now you know why the rest of us have to suffer.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477959

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 00:52

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 00:52
I guess I'll start using someone elses maps.

Or do what i used to do & find someone with a plan scanner & scan & calibrate paper ones. There's only three I really want.

Apart from the fact that he's eccentric, I can't see why in this digital age you'd cut your nose off to spite your face like that though.

Man, talk about a dumb business decision. Plenty around like me that thought the cd's were such good value we'd actually pay for them.

Dave
AnswerID: 477963

Follow Up By: stackner - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 22:16

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 22:16
yes i also have been confused by this. i have one cd but went to get another that has the east end of the high country and found that i can no longer buy the cd's. the digital ones indeed were GREAT value.

i will be doing the same now and just scanning in and calibrating my paper ones. bit of a pain to do but a workable solution.

i however will just use my a4 scanner and scan the map in parts then join it together on the computer. dont need it to be perfect as i have the paper map and just use the digital to be sure of where i am and how im going in getting to my destination.
FollowupID: 754114

Sponsored Links