un-logical laid out forum

Submitted: Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 00:36
ThreadID: 91910 Views:3097 Replies:21 FollowUps:52
This Thread has been Archived
Whilst with time I may get use to ExploreOz..I have to say it would have to be one of the most un-logical laid out forums / sites I've ever come across :-)
That said with more LUCK than good forum navigationaround the site..... I do find good info..Kind Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:01

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:01
What do you find hard about it Albany Nomads? There is a row of headings on the blue strip across the top, all with pull down menus to choose where to go next - it looks very easy to navigate to me.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 477965

Follow Up By: Albany Nomads - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:10
I think its the fact that when you click on to a subject come topic you get bombarded from all corners of the screen with advertisements, other links, shop sales , terms of use . scrolling adverts and messages etc. etc
Like l said..may be it will take a little time to get use to, that said there is heaps of useful tips and info..I've just got to work out how to find it logically rather than by luck.
FollowupID: 753374

Follow Up By: Stampy - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:31

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:31
From what I understand the row of headings on the blue strip across the top are just a menu selection, navigation bar for teh entire website.

The 'Forum' itself to me appears to have no structure, no sub forums etc like any other 4wd forum or any forum for that matter,

It appears to be just one big continuous list being constantly added to and updates.

Very hard to find information here group into specific categories.

I've been a member here for quite a while but have hardly ever participated/posted because of this.

Eg: If I come back in two days and try to find this topic I don't think I could....
FollowupID: 753376

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:17

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:17
quote ...Eg: If I come back in two days and try to find this topic I don't think I could...

That would be a good thing !!!!!

as this topic would in other forums, be under the "load of crap topic"

it may be different but I just LUV it .

regards nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 753380

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:43

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:43
I totally agree - very poor layout - I love to mark forums as read and when I come back next time just look at new posts. I don't believe that is possible here. Also how do I go to the last post or followup in a thread - not an issue if the last item up is a post (reply) but if it is a followup ypu have to scroll down looking for it - most forums have a button that takes to the latest item.

Glad I do not pay here - I would feel ripped off.

Garry
FollowupID: 753406

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 14:41

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 14:41
It's the best laid out forum that I've ever come across.

You probably meant illogical?

It is easily read, sequential cronologically and easily searched.

My only criticism is that it is a bit anal about 'off topic' chat.
FollowupID: 753519

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:02

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:02
un-logical ? ExploreOz ? Part of the problem (if there is one) could be the forum users (including me by the way:) We are all humans.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477966

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 02:14

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 02:14
Great Forum, great layout!!
Simple to use all on one page, brilliant search engine that allows you access to the information compiled in tens of thousands of posts going back some 10 odd years.

Hate the complex multi faceted forums others use which require you to look through various topics to try and find the info you want.

This site is not just about the forum either as said above heaps of info on just about every subject or place in this country you can imagine.

Best places directory you can find on any Aussie web site.

You can set the forum to suit yourself such as having the latest reply to a thread appear at the top of the list etc.

Spend the time to learn its features and functions and you wont go anywhere else.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477969

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:44

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:44
"Hate the complex multi faceted forums others use which require you to look through various topics to try and find the info you want."

Agree John , its very useful , as you can , to scan thru the most recent 100 posts , get a feel for whats going on - then add you input.

For those who come infrequently , it may to easier to go to a multi level sub topic and get a specific answer , but for those who come more often its a pain.

I have tried for example to work thru 4wd monthly , and get lost in its sub menus within sub menus while trying to recall a previous reply.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 753388

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 06:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 06:10
There is a wealth of information here, and it's growing all the time

If you do not like it then GO AWAY !

Bucky
AnswerID: 477971

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 06:26

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 06:26
That was unnecessary surely.
FollowupID: 753378

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:00

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:00
He agrees about the wealth of info, so do I. I agree with him that the forum layout with zero sub headings, and topics that don't go back to the top when someone replies is archaic when compared to other forums.
Hopefully someone warned him about some of the grumpiest TROLLS on the interwebs....
FollowupID: 753379

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:29

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:29
that's right same old topics over & over again... boring.

this is a very popular web site for good reason .....

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 753381

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:03

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:03
gbc, please turn on the Sort Responses by Response Time option on the forum index page and all newly updated threads will go to the top.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 753417

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:06

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:06
So on this forum you must agree with the way things are done or get out.

If was running the forum I would be constantly seeking ways to improve the service offered - I may be critical of some of the way that things are being run here but I am sure the owners are looking for continuous improvement.

To say like it or leave is just plain stupid.

Garry
FollowupID: 753420

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 17:16

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 17:16
Personally I think it's great the way it is. Simple to use and easy to find stuff. From what I can see most of the "complaints" are what we call in our business as operator error.

If people actually bothered to do a search (myself included on some occasions) it would go along way to reducing the number of doubled up topics.

For example.... if I see another Solar Panel querry....arggghhh! The info is there. Just got to look for it and read a little. It's a forum...not a one on one helpdesk.

One question for the admins? Are admin positions paid positions? Because if they're not, people really need to stop whinging and get over it. The time and money invested in this forum by David and Michelle needs to be appreciated and acceptted, NOT EXPECTTED.

Fab
FollowupID: 753439

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 02:11

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 02:11
Cruel but fair.....and some times thats all that is warranted.......have a great weekend!
FollowupID: 753484

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:02

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:02
I have seen this forum subjected to heaps of "informed criticism"over the years I've been here.Some characters have loved and left but that's life.I still find it easy to easy to handle as I guess it has grown in it's own unique way.Not just another same old /same old.I like it as it is .
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 753668

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:37

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:37
Well said Marry .....
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 753671

Follow Up By: gbc - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 06:44

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 06:44
"gbc, please turn on the Sort Responses by Response Time option on the forum index page and all newly updated threads will go to the top.
David"

Wow, what a difference a button and some help makes. That is what I've been looking for all these years.
Thankyou David.
FollowupID: 753674

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:00

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:00
Well I like the structure of this forum.
Everything in the one place and so easy to read and search for past information.

I have looked at some "more traditional" forums and don't like the myriad of sub topic structures that make reading the posts and replies tedious.

The only thing I didn't like was the review comments appearing in the forum.
Having been made aware that as a member you can turn them off, I have now "fixed" this problem:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 477972

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 14:45

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 14:45
Ah... .how can you turn off the reviews? I'd love to!
FollowupID: 753520

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:46

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:46
Hi Royce,

As a member you can turn off the reviews by ticking the little box in the big box at the top RHS of the forum page.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753528

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:48

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:48
Sorry Royce, that should be LHS....grrr I mix L & R all the time!
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753530

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:45

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:45
What you are forgetting Albany whatever, is that this site is NOT a forum site.

First and foremost it is a site for those who are interested in or actually get out there and travel Australia. The forum page is just one small part of it. And a minor part at that. With this in mind have another look at the services on the blue line. It is just a page where anyone can chat about anything on travelling Oz. Just like around the camp fire and I have never seen a "structured" fireside chat yet. Being able to look back and find something is a bonus.

Phil

AnswerID: 477976

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:54

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:54
Exactly.
FollowupID: 753389

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:40

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 19:40
I agree, fair comment.
FollowupID: 753450

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:24

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:24
Hi Nomads,

The large number of regular users seem to like the site! It has a very large amount of features and you do need to take a bit of time to explore the site itself and find out how it all works.

For me some of the key features are the ability to sort forum threads either in the order they are posted or by response time. Also you can put a watch on threads of particular interest.

After many years with an indifferent search facility, David now has done a great job and made a brilliant search system, that searches the whole site.

You may not have realised that members have a few more options, like being able to suppress some of the ads and review posts in the forum (as well as being able to post blogs etc).

Hope that helps you to get started with using what for us is pretty much a one-stop-shop for Oz travel info.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477978

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:53

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:53
I totally agree with you Albany Nomads. It needs to be categorised; fridges, tyres, phones etc etc. Quite often a question is asked and some one will reply that was discussed to post number such and such. And lets face it every conceivable question, problem or issue has been done to death an million times over. I've also noticed over the last few years the activity on this site has waned to almost being stagnant.

I bet there will be a few who tell me where.....
AnswerID: 477987

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:13

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:13
Hi Rod,

Not sure about the forum part of the site; stagnant or not. But the site (vice just the forum) is very active and still contains a wealth of information. We are lucky to have some very active bloggers on the site, treks and places a great repository of information, and a huge amount of information available under topics.

Not saying this is you in particular, but I see a lot of people come onto the site (read forum) fire a question or two and then disappear. With just a little digging around, there is so much more to ExporOz than just the forum. I view the forum as an adjunct (sometimes amusing, sometimes frustrating) to what is actually a very rich and user friendly site.

Yes questions get repeated a lot. But I have also noticed that eventually someone will go to the effort (and my thanks to all of them) of creating a topic or blog which covers most of these questions pretty well so the information is there for all to read without having to search through the forum.

I like it as it is, but just my opinion.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 753394

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:57

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:57
Hi Rod,

It is easy to put the site contents into categories - just use the search facility to find forum threads, blogs, articles etc on fridges, tyre, phones or whatever you want to know about.

As for the site being stagnant? I havent kept track of the daily number of forum posts but I do keep track of some of the blogs. Each 24hours the blogs get about 20 thousand hits across nearly 3000 blogs - signs of life in those figures surely?

I agree that sometimes there will be a few days when there are fewer forum posts or the posts dont particularly interest me, but that surely happens on most forums.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753401

Follow Up By: Rob! - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:02

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:02
In forums where discussions are categorised, you rarely get a good answer because nobody ever looks thorugh all the categories everytime they log on. So they never see your question.
FollowupID: 753402

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 18:17

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 18:17
I agree Rob.
[In forums where discussions are categorised, you rarely get a good answer because nobody ever looks through all the categories every time they log on. So they never see your question]

A point about not having as many posts like it use to be. This is because mods had to step in as there was too much chit chat. Some of it was funny to read but some also got pretty harsh.

Another point that I will add. I have recently purchased a Samsung phone and find it frustrating to search any website.So I realise this may be the problem some have with searching. People travelling may only have a limited amount of Internet so they don't want to waste Internet time searching.

I have been a member for many years and find it easy to navigate this website.

Cheers
Sharon
FollowupID: 753443

Reply By: brushmarx - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:13

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:13
Albany Nomads
What you find on this site is a wealth of information from a wide range of experienced people.
The information in the different categories seems to be pretty easy to find.
The Forum does offer a different scenario until the search system is learnt.
One thing you will notice as displayed above, is that if you have an opinion there is a small band of people who choose to not just disagree, but take it to heart for some paranoid reason, and only give verbal abuse.
You will be told to "Do a search", "If you don't like it, go away", you will be called a liar, or just plain ridiculed for offering a view on something thse self proclaimed experts know all about.
It is a great site, even though some frequent users have no people skills.
It may be similar to a computer version of the Short Person Complex. It is annoying, but to get the best answers, sometimes you have to put up with nonsensical stupidity.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 477988

Reply By: Brett H - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:18

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:18
I'll start by saying I don't mind the layout of this forum because it is different.
But, there is a tendancy for topics to be repeated and for recent topics to dissapear quickly 'off the radar' as they move down the list. I know in the past the search feature was diabolical and next to useless and people say its been improved. I haven't had to use it much recently so I'll take their word for it and find out when I try next time.

What I do find funny is the people who say "I don't like other forums with their sub categories. It's too much trouble to go between them". Well as a member of other forums such as lcool, they all have a button at the top which says something like "View all new posts since last visit" which when clicked will display all latest post in time order just like on here no matter what sub group they might be in. So you can have your cake and eat it to.

So when someone queries why this forum is like it is, rather than lambasting them why not explain the positives of why it is better this way.
AnswerID: 477989

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:44

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:44
I've never noticed that feature on lcool Brett, thanks for pointing it out.
FollowupID: 753398

Follow Up By: Dust-Devil - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 16:14

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 16:14
Yeah! me to dude.

I'll trot off there in a minute or three and have a look.

DDF
FollowupID: 753432

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:42

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:42
Brett we offer that feature (view all posts since last visit) ... it USED to be a Members only benefit, but when we changed the site menu/layout a few months ago, we made this available to ALL registered site users...

If you click the orange My Home button at the top of any page of the site you can instantly go to the shortcuts to the Forum threads that have appeared since your last visit....

You can also open any of your watched threads (this is how you tag interesting threads you want to go back to and check)...

Here's a screen grab I took just now...
Image Could Not Be Found

Hope that helps,
Thanks, Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753504

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:55

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:55
I can certainly understand what people find frustrating about the forum structure.

the seperate "reply and follow up" structure is a bit different to most popular forums, and does take a bit more following, but I can see advantages in it.
This format will deal with sub discussions better that a single line forum.

But outside of the popular forums that run "V bulliten board" or similar, there are quite a few different formats that are harder to read & follow than this one.

The lack of catagories is a bit of a concern, and would be much more of a problem if it was a higher traffic forum.

As it stands, this whole forum has lower traffic than a single subsection of some of the bussier forums.

A lot of other forums don't support blogging, or have the other associated site features.

I would not say it is illogical...but it is certainly different to other forums and takes a little getting used to.

cheers

AnswerID: 477994

Reply By: Wayne David - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:36

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:36
I think it all comes down to how our brains work and what cues we pick up on.

And since my brain doesn't work at all, I'm having no more & no less problem with the ExplorOz layout than I do with any other forum that I visit.

Does that make sense?

Cheers & beers - Wayne
AnswerID: 478005

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:19

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 14:19
A few random thoughts on the forum and the replies so far:

I also find problems with all the advertising and opening EO can take about ten minutes, and even opening or closing a thread is extremely slow for me. Although I try and look in once a day, I only open a few threads and reply only occasionally; I just cannot take the time to participate more than that. Sometimes it freezes my browser and I have to crash out of it and start again – all time consuming. However it is a business website and advertising is a big part of their trade.

Having separate sections for topics suits some other forums covering a wider range of topics, and this has been suggested here many times (by me too ,going back some years). EO does not cover a broad range of topics or have a huge amount of threads each day, so hardly seems necessary. In other forums, most people use the view latest threads, which groups all subject boards. People have different perceptions of what gets put where or don’t even think about it and moderators have quite an onerous job keeping it all tidy. Not many people search a particular subject board – just the whole forum, and are generally not taking any notice of what board the thread is in. An array of choices of where to look and where to post is very confusing for newcomers.

Of more benefit would be if posters followed the recommendation to do a search first; if they aren’t willing or able to do that, then they would hardly think about putting their question in the most appropriate section. A lot of repetition of threads does fragment the information.

The search function here is not very effective, and this may contribute to the posts on the same subject coming up every week.

A thought out of all this would be if posters at the start had to tick a box of subject area of their thread (eg mechanical, caravans, places), and a search field that narrowed a search down to searching only those flagged for that subject, may improve the usability of the forum.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 478012

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 18:09

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 18:09
Hi Motherhen,

Have you used the search function lately? I agree it used to be pretty inadequate but David seems to have done a lot of work on it and I have found that now its very good.

It would be wonderful if people did a bit of searching before they jumped onto the forum and asked the same question that was asked a week ago, but I dont think thats likely to happen. Most complaints about the site seem to come from folk who are either new or occasional visitors and they haven't taken the time to sus out the site and discover how it works.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753442

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:02

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:02
Hi Val - what has changed? It used to be better when we could select date range, and although this is in the 'help' is is still not there. A number of times i have been unable to locate a thread on words yet found it another day - when i have used the correct words. The site search is a poor substitute for a search on the forum.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753483

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:55

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:55
Hi Motherhen,
Its my impression that the site search has improved a lot, bringing up the "top 20" forum posts, blogs, articles etc on any topic you choose.

Forum searching by key words has the same requirements as Google or any other search engine - ie you have to find the right words to use. I havent missed having the date range, and often I found it annoying anyway.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753533

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 23:30

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 23:30
I have exactly the same problems with this site slowing my computer down of making it freeze for short periods, as soon as I close the ExplorOz page it goes back to normal.
FollowupID: 753556

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 00:00

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 00:00
Hi Shaker

What Browser are you using? ADSL or dial up? Fast or slow processor? I was blaming my antiquated overloading computer. It is slow on any sites with adverts, but this is by far the worst. I visit a forum with no adverts and that is fast.

Following an email from another member here this morning, I tried something - and opened EO in Google Chrome (i had recently downloaded Chrome and Firefox for testing on my website, as the other browsers sometimes give unexpected results compared the IE8 which is work on).

Bingo - EO works on Chrome :)

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753559

Reply By: Pebble - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 22:31

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 22:31
I always thought that if you become a paid member you get extra features like being able to track threads you've posted in and the use of private messages etc.

Having used various other forums (from coffee to mountain bikes and other topics) most have had what you might call a standard forum layout, so completely agree, ExplorOz takes quite a bit of getting used to. But once you're used to it it's not so bad, just for catching up with the latest threads or doing a search for something in particular.
I do agree that the disadvantage comes if you want to follow a certain thread or topic more closely. I guess not as much an issue if you're happy to note down the thread numbers and do a search (or bookmarking it might work I guess?). At least you still get email notification on any replies to your threads or your comments, that is certainly a big plus and overcomes having to search and check if you've missed replying to anyone!
AnswerID: 478039

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 15:52

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 15:52
Pebble, for keeping track of a thread the thread watch function can't be beaten.

Regards
FollowupID: 753526

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 23:29

Friday, Feb 17, 2012 at 23:29
I've always loved this forum for the info contained on it. I tolerate the Ads because I understand the bills have to be paid, but I must say the layout of it has never bothered me particularly whereas the layout of the lcool & Pajero forums constantly drive me nuts. Each to his own I guess, but I reckon you're doing alright David & Michelle.

My two penneth worth.
AnswerID: 478043

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:47

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:47
Paul - there appears to be a problem with your profile pic which is causing an error on this page. Any chance you can see what's wrong with your pic - did you just try to change it or have you removed it?
Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753507

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 13:25

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 13:25
Not sure David - these pics have been intermittent since I uploaded them just after Christmas. I hadn't noticed this Gallery Item Error until you pointed it out today, but I note it also seems to apply to some other recent posts.

I have no idea how to view or amend pics in the gallery any more - where has that option gone?

Grateful your assistance.

PS sorry to be so off-topic with this, everyone else.
FollowupID: 753515

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 14:15

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 14:15
Paul you click the orange tab My Profile at the top. Your pics are managed from there - it would appear the one currently selected as the first rig pic is the one with some sort of corrupt file as that is the one your forum sig is using and messing up the fonts in this thread but think only you and system admin can notice that. If you continue to have issues please communicate with Adele during business hours. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753516

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 00:55

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 00:55
Another advantage over standard platform forums is the follow up function within threads - this keeps the side tracks within the thread together and the whole thread makes more sense. A great feature.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 478044

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:30

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:30
I can find the last post on this thread by just going to the bottom - but how do I find the last followup without having to scroll through about 40 entries.

I like to be able to look at what has changed in the forum since last visit - again I have ticked the box that lists threads by time of last change but without scrolling through each post it is not possible.

The box at the right of a thread lists how many posts and follow ups - by being able to click on them and be taken to the last post or follow up would be helpful.

Garry
AnswerID: 478050

Follow Up By: Brett H - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:13

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:13
Maybe the coloured box around a follow-up could be different if it hasn't been read. That way you could quickly scoll down the page and see unread followups straight away without having to look at the date of each one thinking "is the time of that follow-up later than when I last visited?"

Sometimes if there are multiple follow-ups throughout a thread since you last visited you are almost reading the entire thread again in finding them. Especially when it ends up being an "I agree" response :-)
FollowupID: 753500

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:32

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:32
Gary the feature you request is available for Members.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753502

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:44

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:44
Sorry Gary,
my mistake, that feature was made available for ALL registered users a couple of months ago (was Members only for the past 11 years)....

I made some explanations about it above, but will repeat for your convenience here...

You need to click the orange My Home tab.
You'll see you can see any Forum updates since your last visit from there...

Image Could Not Be Found

Hope this helps,
Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753506

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:11

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:11
Great - thanks for that.

garry
FollowupID: 753508

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 15:09

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 15:09
Sorry Michelle - doesn't work for me. When I hit the Forum Updates button to the right of your screen shot ir just lists all threads in order of update - it does not just list those that have been updated since my last visit.

Garry
FollowupID: 753523

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:49

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:49
Hi Michelle,

Are you sure there is a follow-up update? I think you may be confusing a thread update and a follow-up update!

When a thread is updated, or a follow-up in a thread is updated, I agree it shows up in the HOME page. But when you go to that thread, while you can scroll to the bottom to see updated posts,you have to scroll thru and read every follow-up to find any updates to them.

All follow-ups are in blue outine, lastest at bottom of page. Followups are in orange and spread throughout the post. Perhaps if NEW follow-ups were in say RED, then one could easily find them.

If the forum had this feature, it would have the best of both worlds, follow-up posts are kept together AND you can easily find anything new since your last visit.

Apart from lacking a New Follow-up identification feature, I prefer the ExplorOz forum layout to the typical layouts of other sites I follow.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 753531

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:58

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:58
Yes I agree. If it is a long thread with multiple followups it is nigh on impossible to find followups to followups.
FollowupID: 753534

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:00

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:00
No confusion but the system doesn't do what you're expecting.
The system shows you the threads by id that have been udpated in any fashion since your last visit. It doesn't not reorder or recolour to highlight what's been changed, but keeps the integrity of the thread in-tract.

Follows up as designed to reply specifically upon a point raised with a particular reply, and are for addressing the person whose reply you are commenting upon. It is not the same as a reply which is a response you send to the OP.

When follow ups get long, these are sidetrack discussions with people other than the OP - they are kept together so that it is easy to come back and read the flow of the conversation as it was intended.

I agree however that the idea of colour-coding changed content since last update would be a nice feature but it doesn't currently exist. Rewrites to Forum code take significant time and testing and David is the sole programmer of this, plus the rest of the site. Currently, he is working on other projects so I'm not in favour of suggesting this is high priority right now but will keep these feedback for when we next do a Forum code update in case it can be slotted in.

Thanks, Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753695

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:26

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:26
OK, Thanks Michelle, looks like we will have to put up with it for awhile. Even though I got the followup email I still had to manually search the thread to find in which of my followups you followedup so I could followup and thank you.
FollowupID: 753700

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:51

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:51
LOL touche Rod - same for me too. We get it now ;)

Once again guys, its your feedback that helps develop this site (once we figure what the heck you're all talking about!!! tee heee hee). Colour coding latest updates is now on the task list :)

MM

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753704

Follow Up By: Brett H - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:17

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:17
Thanks Michelle,
I thought there would be a reason but you never know until you ask.
FollowupID: 753707

Reply By: bob smith 1 - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:26

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 16:26
This post probably sums up the forum layout in one. All of the dribble like this post is mixed up with the mostly useful other stuff going on here.
Other forums at least seperate the pointless from the good.
BS
AnswerID: 478072

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 22:06

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 22:06
What are the forums that you think are better !!!!!, I for one would like to look at some of these to compare for myself .

not that I would have that much time to look , after this one & others I use .

cheers

Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 478094

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 09:48

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 09:48
I don't have any problem with the content. As others have commented it is very difficult to find followups in a long thread.
Caravaners Forum is easy tofollow the latest posts. You just click on" View New Posts" and the latest posts are displayed at the top of the list. When you click on a subject the latest post in the thread is displayed.
FollowupID: 753576

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:25

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 22:25
Rod : Lets say there are up to 20 posts a day on average & how many of those have more than 10 replies ....I would say up to 5 . It can't take to long to check them out ... unless you want to check out every post and follow up !!! and would you check out every post of every forum in aust......

I would think its only expected that you will look at things that your interested in !!!

I had a look at caravaners forum just briefly , looks like a good forum but mostly just a forum ... I don't think its as complex as this " website "

I see your a member so you can receive email re post replys ...unlike some that are not members .... $ 50 is a lot for some .... box of beer , tank of fuel ..etc . I do think you get a lot out of this " WEBSITE " inc forum .. keep in mind that David and his team are probably very busy keeping this website ticking over . , I know they are often updating the site . not always well excepted to some followers .....

To sum up in a great Quote . YOU CAN PLEASE SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME BUT YOU CAN'T PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME .

In regards to the forum it may not be the best , but it sure helps a lot of people out . & it has very little bull s..t on it that you don't need to troll through .

Those who don't like it can always move on , but "WE" know they will be back ...because this " WEBSITE" has more to offer than others ..... :-)

cheers nick

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 753670

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:14

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:14
G'day Nick , I have no quibble with the content of the website and indeed the forum. It is the FORMAT. As a number of others have pointed out it is finding the FollowUps, particularly if it is a long thread and someone FollowsUp in the middle of the thread.
Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on the format of the forum.
FollowupID: 753677

Reply By: Brett H - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 19:55

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 19:55
I just went slowly through this thread again and found a couple of followups I missed yesterday about half way down. And there-in is the issue some people have. Is it necessary to slowly run through the whole thread time and again when it pops to the top of the list and you see that there has been added followups.

eg. this thread pops to the top of the list and you think that there are 4 extra follow-ups (having to remember how many were there from last time shouldn't really be necessary though). So I scroll to the bottom as that is the logical place to find recent information and I see a couple there. Ok then, so maybe there was only 2 new follow-ups since I last visited and so I leave the thread not realising that there were a couple more elsewhere.

Is there a way to highlight recently added follow-ups which can be hard to find in long threads.

Added replies are no problem as they are always at the bottom.

AnswerID: 478161

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 20:07

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 20:07
Yes that is my gripe too. I mentioned it awhile back but nothing was done when the 'My Home' system was implemented. Hopefully this FollowUp won't take too long to be buried and David or whoever will see it and come up with a fix.
FollowupID: 753659

Reply By: Michael A5 - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 20:19

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 20:19
y complain when u are not a member
become a member then people may care
AnswerID: 478162

Sponsored Links