solar charging

Hello all
Just purchased 160W solar panels and would it be possible to charge two battery's at once. These are two 80W panels wire together with one controller or would I need to separate and add a another controller?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:07

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:07
I am no expert, but in my camper I have two batteries that are wired to a Steca controller regulator. I then just plug our folding 120 w solar panel into the controller, via an anderson plug, and I can either select a particular battery to charge, or have both charging at the same time. The controller will feed the appropriate power to each battery as required. In other words, no problems with charging both at the same time with our controller. Kevin
AnswerID: 478048

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:47

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 09:47
Yes you certainly can. However ideally you want the 2 batteries to be similar in size(amp wise and same construction..ie..gel,calcium etc)
AnswerID: 478051

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:43

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:43
As mentioned above its all possible.....but....there are several ways of doing it to achieve best advantage in that situation.

what is the set up you have a what sort of regulator are you using.

remember, most of the modern battery charging systems work best when they have a direct relationship between a single charger and a single battery.

if you have two identical batteries, same size, type, constructon, age and condition, if correctly connected they will behave mostly as one large battery.

it is worthwhile seperating them and charging them seperately from time to time.

anything other than that and there are other methods that may give better advantage.

cheers
AnswerID: 478060

Follow Up By: kaid - Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 13:12

Saturday, Feb 18, 2012 at 13:12
THANK YOU ALL
FollowupID: 753512

Sponsored Links