Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:01
ThreadID: 91954 Views:5080 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I want to purchase a Tekonsha P3 brake controller from a reputable source on line or Ebay. On Ebay they are priced at $141 to $196 - not sure why so much variation. Do I need an extra mounting bracket and pigtail wiring harness (these are advertised as extras) or does the kit come complete? I also want to make sure I get the Australian complied one if there is a difference. Any recommendations for a reputable on line seller would be appreciated. Thanks.
(Ps I am of the view Tekonsha is the best – but am open to alternative suggestions).
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 14:05

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 14:05
Hi Wamuranman,

I would suspect all Tekonsha P3s would all be the same. I usually take the lowest price I can get on Ebay and have never been disappointed. Check the sellers ratings before buying though.

Mine is the earlier Prdigy and came with the mounting bracket and wiring plug and flying leads ready to be connected to the circuits.

It came with a good set of instructions on wiring and calibrating prior to taking off with the trailer connected.

You are right, they are the best, IMHO.

I use a large diameter 4 slot strip connector and run the vehicle wiring into one side and then merely plug the P3 wires into the other side. This way if needed it can easily be removed for whatever reason without damaging the vehicle circuit.

They all use the same colour code for wiring so it is a breeze updating from something else to a P3.

If I remember the colours are Red, Black, Blue and White. The accompanied instruction will give you the respective uses of each colour wire.

Hope this helps.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478135

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:11

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:11
Thanks - Yes that is good helpful information.
I wasn't thinking of installing myself though - I thought I would need an auto elect.
Its good to have it confirmed that they are a good controller.
Cheers
FollowupID: 753646

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:28

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:28
I bought mine and some Ctek stuff from "4wdextreme" who is on Ebay and ships from Adelaide. Good seller.
The controller, cradle mount, harness and circuit breaker comes with that seller. You'll need to buy your own cable to hook it all up - I used twin 12Ga cable to battery and single 12Ga cable back to the trailer plug.
AnswerID: 478138

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:12

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:12
Thanks Phil - I will check out their prices.
Cheers
FollowupID: 753647

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:03

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:03
I used this crowd on Ebay http://myworld.ebay.com.au/autoelecau I purchased a P3 unit delivered in a few days, factory sealed unit the best BEST controller I have ever used..... VERY happy
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478152

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:12

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:12
Thanks Tony - I will check them out as well.
Cheers
FollowupID: 753648

Sponsored Links