One for the IT Experts.

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:43
ThreadID: 91955 Views:2858 Replies:4 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Here is a question that I would like one of the IT experts to answer please.

I do not want to get into a debate, just like the Toyota/Nissan etc but how does Exploroz know what type of computer you are using. I learnt to walk with a Mac and like anyone that uses one, will know of there quality and feel. I had to around 7 years ago purchase a Windows base computer for the sole purpose of using OziExplorer, and it was just as if I had to learn all over again how to use a computer, Mac's are so much easier to use.

If I log onto EO with my Windows computer, I get the usual standard type of advert at the top of the screen, as like the Image below.

Image Could Not Be Found

Now when I log on using my Mac, the advert is completely different and amid directly at Mac users, as the image below.

Image Could Not Be Found

Like I said, it is not a debate about what is best, as I have both and know what is the best, but would like to know how does EO know what we are using.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bytemrk(VIC) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:11

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:11
In simple terms it is in the code of the site.

To ensure a web page displays correctly for you - the site needs to determine a variety of things - the most important being the web browser you are using and the resolution it needs to display at.

This information is in the data packets set to the site by your computer when it requests the page.

Developers need to test their code on the different web browsers they want it to work on. ( That's why you find some sites do not work correctly on some browsers.)

It's the same mechanism that allows a site to identify the Operating system you are using.

It's also how they calculate the marketshare of browsers and operating systems:

Operating System Market Share

Others could explain it in far more detail...but basically that's how it works.

Mark
AnswerID: 478120

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:25

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:25
Hi Mark

Thanks for that, I thought it might have been along those lines but was not quite sure.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753591

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:18

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:18
Not only the browser, operating system and screen resolution but city and country that the visitor is viewing from which also allows targetted adverts to be displayed provided it is coded that way.
FollowupID: 753612

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:27

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:27
Hi Mike

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753614

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:37

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:37
Hi Mike

You have just brought up another interesting point about browsers. It was reported just the other day that Big Brother (Google) found a loop hole in the Safari browser and were monitoring sites that Safari users were visiting.

A student studying internet browser security found out the loophole and I bet he was then taken on board on one of the Major IT Companies.

From memory there was no comment from Google.

I does not worry me even though I use Safari, they would have seen how many time I log into EO....................LOL

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753618

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 17:09

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 17:09
Google monitors (or used to before gurus blew the whistle on them) everything you search for and links it to your IP. Do a search and you might be surprised.
FollowupID: 753639

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 17:53

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 17:53
Hi Bazooka

I bet we would all be very surprised at what Big Brother has on us all. As you say the moment that we connect to the Internet, we are all at their mercy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753643

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:53

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:53
Hello Stephen,

It's not just Google that is looking at the data. Google makes the data available to the web site developer by the simple addition of a few lines of scripting code. To be fair, the info is anonymous and no personal details can be retreived. In effect the website is "watching" what you do and making decisions based on your actions. Cheers
FollowupID: 753652

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 19:27

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 19:27
It's a relatively simple process to connect your IP and email address then link a name from one of thousands of lists being sold around the www.
FollowupID: 753658

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 20:51

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 20:51
They won't learn. But I don't need them so I ignore thwem after that. And so do I ignore those ignorant ones who won't take off their sunglasses.

I just do not understand how they can think it is okay. Only liars and cheats hide their eyes.

Phil
FollowupID: 753662

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:34

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 21:34
Or people suffering extremely from glare.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 753666

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 07:38

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 07:38
Allan

Inside? Not likely.

Phil
FollowupID: 753675

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:18

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:18
Yes Phil, sometimes even inside when seated facing a bright window.
Don't judge too hastily.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 753678

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:52

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:52
Rubbish Allan.

You are nitpicking.

Just like taking your hat off inside, it's good manners, not just lip service by being "politically correct" that you get these days. A thing of the past. But we still follow the practice and mean it.

Phil
FollowupID: 753680

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:37

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:37
Phil, You really are being intolerant.

I for one, and I am sure many others, have a clinical condition that makes vision glare unbearable.

If forced to sit facing a glare and unable to relocate, I would apologise and explain the need to retain my sunglasses. It does not happen often but it can happen. To an observer outside my companions it could appear inconsiderate.

I am saying that there can be exceptions to the ideals you espouse, so don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Come on Phil, not everyone can be perfect in all ways!
But enough. We really are way off-topic.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 753681

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:09

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:09
Stephen, we are marked men..... no place to run.... no place to hide.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 478130

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:30

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 13:30
Hi Allan

I know where there are some great hiding spots, the only problem there is no internet access.....LOL

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753615

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:12

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:12
No internet access. You ripper!!! And no damned mobile phone to interrupt a conversation. I really feel like smashing them when talking to someone and mid breath they answer the bloody phone. That's what message banks and missed calls are about. Rude people.

Phil
FollowupID: 753623

Follow Up By: Member - Krakka - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:38

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:38
Got to agree Phil, WHY does the incoming mobile call take preference over the person you are already talking to? They can be rung back when finished the current conversation.
FollowupID: 753628

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:50

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 15:50
Hi Phil

Here is another one for you....... did you know that if you use Telstra as your service provider, you can make contact with the outside world from the top of Big Red. All you have to do is climb to the highest point and hey presto, you have phone coverage with the outside world.

Another piece if trivia that you did not want to hear.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753629

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:07

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:07
Stephen

Mate you are a world of knowledge. Just what all the travellers with mobile phone ears need.

Me!! Mate my mobile. It is dead flat in the drawer beside my bed at home. Hate the thing. Never use it. We have a satellite phone for emergency and has had one test GPS email sent and one test phone call made since purchase.

Phil
FollowupID: 753631

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:23

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 16:23
Phil, I find one way to handle the intrusive phone call of a companion is to show obvious close attention to their conversation. They will then invariably move away to a more private location.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 753632

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:49

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:49
A bit OT, but I had cause to be in a Dick Smith store in Sydney the other week, second in line at the checkout behind a gentleman who had placed his purchases on the counter but was also talking on his mobile. The sales person (to their credit) moved his purchases aside and served me first. He got quite uppity when he finished his call stating that he was at the front of the line. The sales person politely told him that as soon as he finished his call she would be delighted to serve him.

I've noticed a lot of shops have this policy now, many with a sign up asking phone callers to step out of the line and re-join when they have finished their call.

Same can work in reverse when you are receiving service and the sales person stops mid-sentence to take a call. Always makes me wonder how they make the judgement that the caller's business is more important than mine. Unless I have to buy what I needed from that store, I tend to leave now before they finish their call. Grumpy old man disease setting in, but just courtesy I think.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 753682

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:19

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:19
Too true Matt.

Grumpy old man disease now that I am in that era is just the "grumpy" old man wanting the service he used to get when he wasn't as old.

One day I will leave my stuff on the counter and walk away if they take the call and not put them on hold while they serve us first. Don't mind it so much then. It hasn't happened for ages come to think of it.

I am a bit OT here so I shall leave you "grumpy old man" to your memories. And people wonder why we like to travel alone. To get away from "Grumpy old men" like me!!!

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 753687

Follow Up By: silkwood - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:44

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:44
Regarding the phone call in store. When only a couple of people are in a store and both are serving, who answers the phone? If you say neither, they should be focusing on the customer in front of them, think about if you are on the other end of the phone. I train our retail staff to politely ask the customer they are serving if they mind if they BRIEFLY answer the call. You see, if you are in front of a customer, at least they can see you are answering a call. The person on the other end has no idea what's going on and just assumes no-one is answering their call.

Once the salesperson answers the call they are instructed to let the caller know they are just with a client, then ask if they can take a message and will call back as soon as they are able (then make sure they DO call back!).

A retail store can only have so many salespeople on the floor at one time, most of the time they will have just the right amount of traffic, some of the time they will be overwhelmed (when the "bus" rolls up) and some of the time they will be quiet. You can't employ extra staff just in case it gets busy. I hope you're not one of those people who complain there's no-one to serve then, when there is, complain the prices are too high! ;-)

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 753739

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 19:45

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 19:45
You are right of course Mark and I understand that the caller can't see what is going on. What you describe is a good way of dealing with it.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 753744

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:57

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:57
Mark

Just what I was trying to say about the caller being put on hold. But sir. You put it a bit more eloquently than I.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 753758

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:26

Sunday, Feb 19, 2012 at 18:26
Nothing as insidous as some are suggesting

its simply the next generation of marketing - expect to see alot more of it

I mean basically pick up a mens mag and you wont find adverts for tampon etc

this is just advertising systems marketing to you more directly

I mean whats the point of adverting PC stuff to you if youve got a mac? all that is doing is wasting money as i think internet advertising often relys on paying per view

Did you see the film Minority report with tom cruise?

the advertising billboards recocnised people walking by and called out to them advertising products tailored to them

same idea taken a fair bit forward
AnswerID: 478153

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:01

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:01
Hi get outmore

Thanks for that explanation, appreciate your reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753676

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 19:22

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 19:22
StephenL, it's very simple.

I have a web site and iIwas amaized what statistics I can pull from it's back end about the visitors.

When you go to a web site, that website can ask your compter for it's details in the HTTP protocol used in the internet. You computer will dutifully tell the web site. All this happens without your knowledge just about every time you look at almost any web page.

Things like
Operating system and version
Screen resolution and size
Number of colours set in the display driver
Browser Eg IE, Safari, Firefox etc

Here are some scary ones.

What web page you were on before the current one !!!!!!
What search engine referred you, if any
What search terms were typed into the search engine to get to that page.

Big brother.

AnswerID: 478243

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:02

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:02
Hi Boobook,

I'm not too sure about your first "scary" one.

I thought it was only if the previous webpage you were on has a link to the current webpage you are on.

I could be wrong, however I can't get that data from my own personal websites traffic analysis report, that's why I am a bit doubtful.

Cheers
Alan

PS - you can block that info by selecting "block cookies", easily done on Firefox, not sure about other browsers - probably.

PPS - If you block cookies, for example on Exploroz you will have to reselect all your preferences every time you visit, that includes logging on. To see what I mean go to "My Home" and select "Logoff", then select "clear cookies" - this has the same effect as clearing the cookies on your browser.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753748

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:22

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 20:22
Hi Boobook

That for that and I was completely unaware that could and does happen.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753750

Sponsored Links