Food Containers

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:52
ThreadID: 91974 Views:2713 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Drifta DPOR kitchen in my Camping Trailer and am wondering what sort of containers would be best for my foods and condiments, bearing in mind that they can rub and develop holes, smash, etc and put food all through the kitchen. The honey, for instance, are in their glass jars straight from Aldi. We've had no problems as yet, due to not picking rough tracks to drive on. As that'll one day change, containers that'll stand up to that by their shape, (square, for instance will help them nestle together) construction material, (plastic?) and ease of labelling. These can replace glass jars, containers that have inappropriate lids (easy to remove, aren't spill proof, etc) as well as keep food well will be the order of the day. Different sizes available? Thanks all for your ideas!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:32

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:32
There is a clear plastic product made in N.Z. at least you are keeping someone in work in this part of the world) made by Sistina, and they have a blue seal and clips.

They make various sizes with clip on lids that have good secure fasteners, square and round.

I have obtained mine at Big W and Woolworths, they both stock them, and you'll usually find one or two styles are on special.

I seldom do rough camping now, and prefer to caravan, but for years I've never used glass containers for anything, after having one break and mixed with dust and ants it was so easy to clean up, I don't think. Decant everything that's in glass into plastic containers.

Just be mindful, if you are going to W.A. the 'Honey Nazis' will take your honey.
AnswerID: 478197

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:48

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:48
I think you will find it is called Sistema, might help if you are trying to search for it.
FollowupID: 753728

Follow Up By: Lozza - NSW - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:56

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:56
Sistina? On the basis on what you've said, I went straight to the cupboard and took out containers the same as what you describe, but the imprint on the side of the blue clips is Sistema. They have a blue seal and the two blue clips are opposite each other on the container's long edge. I wonder if they're the same thing? Only prob is the blue clips protrude slightly higher than the container, so if they bump on something, the clips can be pushed open. That, and that they leak out through the lids despite the seal. I use them for taking my lunch to work, but need to be kept religiously upright to avoid leaking in my bag! I just want to clarify if they're the same ones? Not rubbishing your fine suggestion, just want to see if there's something else on the market, or if it's the same. Thanks!
FollowupID: 753729

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:23

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:23
Typing error in my behalf - Sistema is the brand.

I've been using them for the past two years on the road with no problems, and they will leak liquid, particularly after a bit of use, but most things do anyway. So you don't put liquid in them if there's a chance they will fall on their sides. They arte better than what there was available, as I too took my crib to work, and had the odd spill in my work bag.

The clips on the side don't work loose for me, but I pack things pretty well in el-cheapo plastic baskets, and if I'm concerned then I make sure that they are secured and I place foam rubber in between items to ensure they stay packed, but even then we have had the odd disaster.

The advantage with these things as opposed to those screw top plastic fruit jars, is that they can be used at home as they are suitable for a microwave oven. The fruit containers & cheap plastic distorts.

One thing to remember is that a trailer bounces around a lot more than the towing vehicle, so things like eggs, canned grog, and other stuff that I didn't want broken went into the vehicle.

The bottles that contain Stones Green Ginger Wine, Dr. Jurd's Jungle Juice or port wine must be better than average, never broke one of them. Though very likely they didn't last long enough for me to find out, eh?

There's another brand of plastic screw top container. It's called 'Nalgene', and made in the U.S. to food standards. They aren't cheap, but they don't leak. However, over a period of time the plastic for some reason gets brittle, I'm talking about a couple of years, and then they will leak. I decant wine into mine, plus milk & unlike other plastic stuff, it doesn't tend to send it off too fast. The milk that is.

You could get them at Ray's, though I'd say any good outdoors store would have them.

FollowupID: 753733

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:41

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:41
....One thing to remember is that a trailer bounces around a lot more than the towing vehicle, so things like eggs, canned grog, and other stuff that I didn't want broken went into the vehicle. .....

That's why I bought a trailer with this suspension:

Never had anything busted yet and still carry a few glass bits and pieces.

I do like the idea of recycled screw topped fruit containers of different sizes and use these extensively, along with a variety of 'old' Tupperware' containers, which can often be found in op shops and the like.

Cheers,

Mark

FollowupID: 753769

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:27

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 09:27
If they will leak liquid they can't be air tight, so what good are they other than for keeping the flies off!
FollowupID: 753798

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:05

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:05
I suppose not all of us can afford or have access to Tupperware. Besides their older stuff wasn't microwave or freezer compatable.

Sistema products don't leak if you put dry food items in them, they store things like flour, sugar, cereal & rice, quite well.

Shaker, I keep my camp clean so I don't encourage flies.

Mick I love the off road trailer, unfortunately the film shown is a commercial, and the advertising game, well they have ethics don't they? What sort of weight did they have in it? I'll bet they made it heavy enough so that it didn't bounce about, we don't get to see the end result of the tests do we.

But mate, they still bounce around, follow one on a dirt road. All trailers do.
FollowupID: 753803

Reply By: funnyfarm - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:02

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:02
we use the plastic containers that you can buy fruit in at the supermarket. Wash them out and they store heaps of things in them. Anything from flour, sugar, coffee, pegs, washing powder etc. Stack really well in the kitchen aswell.

they have a wide screw top lid so you may be able to put your whole honey container inside it so that if it does break, the mess is contained.
AnswerID: 478204

Follow Up By: ROODOO2 - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 15:23

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 15:23
Ditto fruit jars , been using them for ten or twelve years and not worn one out.
FollowupID: 753713

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:02

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:02
The fruit jars are good as they have a screw top and are square so they pack together well. But over very corrugated roads I have had a lid work itself off. If using plastic containers with push on lids either put a couple of rubber bands around them or get a container with a snap type seal.

We have never lost the label off a tin can, but have found empty beer cans which have rubbed through and leaked out the contents. Glass is too likely to break so we avoid if at all possible.

We have found that stuff stored in the vehicle will travel quite well, but we learnt the hard way on our first trip where we towed a trailer - which bounced a lot more over the corrugations. A lot of food containers came open, so in the bottom of the trailer we had a lovely mix of muesli, flour,pasta, rice, peanuts, powdered milk etc. We cleaned up what we could see and all was well - until it rained, and a bottle of wine broke into the mix. There was in fact a lot of the mess under the false floor in the trailer, out of sight. So with a bit of condensation that set the whole lot fermenting, soon the flies were attracted and you can guess the awful mess when we finally woke up to what had happened. Now we take a lot more care packing food in the trailer, and where possible stack individual items in a larger plastic box. That way if anything does get loose hopefully the mess will be contained

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 753725

Reply By: Priscilla G - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:42

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:42
You can,t go past Lock & Lock. Plastic with snap locks on every side ,will NOT leak & are fantastic for stacking.There,s all shapes & sizes.Available on line at TVSN & Ebay.Would not use any other after having these. TVSN has them available in packs of varying shapes & sizes.
AnswerID: 478210

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:45

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:45
Hi Lozza,
We use plastic Fruit containers as above also Go Toobs from the shop on this site and if you need to take a jar put it in a "stubbie holder".

Cheers

Graham
AnswerID: 478211

Reply By: Lex M - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 15:45

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 15:45
If we're carrying glass containers, we put them in stubby holders or the larger ones for wine bottles for anything in a bottle.

Steel cans are OK but write the contents on the top with felt pen as the labels may wear off.

Aluminium cans can wear through and leak. We put them in old socks.
Protects the fridge when in there too.

The plastic fruit bottles are good but the new style ones aren't as leakproof as the old ones and have a sharp edge inside. Pity.

Cardboard wine casks cut in half are handy for packing things (and readily available.) :-)

We use the clip top containers in various sizes for other things.

AnswerID: 478218

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:01

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:01
Ditto for old sox, all sizes - stops rubbing and rattling. Also various types of clip-lidded containers and plastic fruit jars. We do not carry glass except occasionally for wine for short distances. Label everything on top and side using masking tape as it can be removed easily.

Min
FollowupID: 753724

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:32

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:32
We just use whatever containers the condiments come in from the supermarket.
All our condiments are stored in two stackable drawers which usually sit in the back area of the Colorado. As there is very little room for the jars, packets, etc. to move around, they are quite secure.

Apart from this, the other foods are stored in the fridge, or in cardboard boxes, again in their original packaging, whatever construction they may consist of.

Even the wine is carried in a couple of 6 pack cardboard cartons, as is the unchilled beer. (In the original cartons)
I usually take canned beer on trips as the empty containers can be compressed for easier storage, prior to disposal. (impossible to source canned Australian made cider though, so I just take the bottles in a carton.

I have no need or desire to transfer anything from their original packaging into plastic boxes. Just a waste of time and effort in my opinion.

The only food we transfer to different packaging is meat, which we cryovac, then put in the fridge, or esky. This is for longer term storage rather than limiting the chance of "an accident".

Never experienced a breakage or leak, even on severe corrugated tracks.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478235

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:05

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 21:05
WRT storing eggs I wrap the eggs in cling wrap and then put them back in the cartons. If the egg should happen to crack the cling wrap holds the egg together and no spillage.

Other storage tip. Don't throw your whisky bottle (Glenfiddich or similar) tins out as they make ideal wine coolers for in the car fridge. Stand them in a corner of your car fridge and you can slide your favourite drop out and back in without all the other food/drinks falling back into the spot where the wine would have been standing otherwise.

As others have said the fruit containers are great. Thanks for the tip about the socks, hadn't thought of that one.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 478259

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 19:12

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 19:12
Another tip is to have a few empty wine casks.Simply inflate to take up excess space in fridge ,cupboard or larger container.Takes the bounce out of the equation.When not needed simply let the air out and store.They are remarkably resilient and so easy to adjust with just a few puffs into the tap
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478435

Sponsored Links