Does any know the history of Arnold NT?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:51
ThreadID: 91977 Views:1823 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Bullwaddy rest area is near Bullwaddy Conservation Reserve along the Carpentaria Highway. On-line maps show a locality of Arnold a little way south of the Highway near this point, with tracks running to it. There is a large treeless area south of the rest area which appears to have been cleared at some stage as trees line the road, and a few concrete foundations by the rest area. This is on a high point of the Highway, with a line of trees indicating a water course heading south, and Arnold is shown along this water course. I note there is an Arnold River which rises to the north of the Highway and heads north in the vicinity. Anyone know the history of the area? What were the buildings and when were they there?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:37

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:37
Just a suggestion Mummy, but I recall having lunch at this joint some years ago, and thinking how suitable it would be for an overnight stop.

I saw some foundations there, and I feel that it may have been a major road construction camp site.

AnswerID: 478202

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:58

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 13:58
As lovely overnight stop Richard, with a wonderful array of birds late afternoon. We went a little further from the rest area along the old road then out amongst some blue metal heaps.

Concrete foundations - it would have to be a major long term camp. It is only 90 kilometres from the Stuart Highway.

Arnold as shown on Google maps:

Image Could Not Be Found

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 753705

Sponsored Links