Access from Quorn to Stuart Highway

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:32
ThreadID: 91981 Views:1519 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Folks

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get to from Quorn to the stuart highway without back tracking to Port Augusta. My topo map shows some tracks etc i.e. through harris crossing but I am unsure as to weather these are public access or not.

Is anyone familiar with that area able to give me a hint?

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:53

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:53
For what it is worth.........my Hema Regional Map (Flinders Ranges) shows no through tracks at all in that area (virtually no tracks of any sort), while the Australian 250K Map (zone 53) shows tracks galore criss-crossing the region. My guess is it's all pastoral lease and the owners probably wouldn't want you out in those badlands - they'd fear finding a heap of bones in a derelict car some time next year :-o).
AnswerID: 478224

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:05

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:05
The only ways would be through Port Augusta are up to Lyndhurst and across the dirt to either Coober Pedy or Marla..... big drives no matter what way.

Where do you want to get to on the Stuart Highway?
AnswerID: 478233

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 19:41

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 19:41
Hi Aussieotto,
I presume you are crossing the Flinders through Depot Flat and Thompsons Gap, your best bet then would probably be through Burt Crossing north of Harris crossing but as Darien said most of this is on pastoral land.
I'm unsure what you are trying to achieve as Depot Flat is not far from Quorn and the time and hassle crossing through there would not be worth it.
If you wanted to see the Flinders and then cross to the Stuart Highway this could be accommodated at the earliest by heading through Farina towards Roxby down to Pimba. Other than that as mentioned go towards Coober Pedy from William Creek or Marla from Oodnadatta.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Graham
AnswerID: 478246

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:16

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:16
The short answer is no.

Unless you are mates with a leaseholder you have to go around.

If you want to avoid Pt Augusta then the only way I know is via Hawker and Lyndhurst. You then have two options

1) the PAR from Farina to Andamooka which is a very nice run and the shorter option.

2) Maree, William Creek and out to Coober Pedy. I haven't done all of that route but I can't see it being boring.

If you are in a hurry go via PA if not chose one of the above.

Duncs
AnswerID: 478272

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:40

Monday, Feb 20, 2012 at 22:40
There is also another way to avoid Port Augusta, go from Stirling North via Yorkey's Crossing but why avoid Port Augusta "its a Joy to behold".

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 478279

Sponsored Links