ozi explorer mapping and gps tablet

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:18
ThreadID: 92034 Views:5903 Replies:8 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
hi we are just purchasing the oxi explorer pack to load onto our laptop for our 3 month journey across the middle of australia to western australia to complete a trip around oz that started 22 years ago...and we still have our old hilux 1990 that we purchased in alice springs when we rolled our forrunner on our first adventure with the kids going totally outback. it has totally been re built now after clocking up over 400,000 klms.... we aim to retire in the next 2 years... so we can go live the nomad life for as long as we can in our favourite places. the ozi explorer pack with the mouse is just the beginning of a better mapping set up for us so we are open for advice...we were now wondering if a tablet that we could download the system on might be a better option than a laptop ...but adele.. has advised us to be warey that they might not run this format...as we are just at the beginning of this process and still havent received our package... we are open to all your thoughts.. without having to go to a navigator that cost the earth... when a tablet could be a cheaper and more viable choice... as they give you access to so much more...would any of the cheaper tablets be suitable for this type of set up for a longer term....all your thoughts would be pricless for us even advice on the inmarsat phone pro sattellite phone would be good also. have read so many of your threads on this subject .... but hoping u can help us out now......thanking you chris and ross ...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:59

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:59
If you go to the OziExplorer site you will see OziExplorer for Android which may help you. I haven't used it so can't comment on using it.
AnswerID: 478391

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 09:27

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 09:27
Not sure if Rod is referring to Ozi or Android. I can say that Oziexplorer is an excellent way to go.

We do not like "stuff" hanging around loose in the cabin so paid the extra and put a GPS unit actually mounted in the dash. No loose cables and things to get you if you have a prang. Or just plainly get in the way.

But then again we do not have any need for the intenet or a computer as such when on the road. We only installed the in dash unit for street and off road navigation and map display and for entertainment.

Phil
FollowupID: 753880

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:25

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:25
Hello Phil

Rod refers to Android as this is likely to be the operating system found on a "gps tablet" not Windows (XP, Vista, 7 ect) as found on PCs, laptops and netbooks. As Chris and Ross point out they were a bit undecided as to if they should buy the PC version of OziExplorer if it wouldnt work on a "gps tablet" because of this possible different operating system. As Rod points out there is an Android version of OziExplorer and this is what would be required for an Android gps tablet.

Bottom line is you will probably need both the PC version and the Android version of OziExplorer if you get an Android device as many functions needed for map calibration and trip planning (for example) are not available on the Android version (i.e. do trip planning etc on PC first the load data to tablet and hit the road..when you get home save, edit, share data on PC if need be).

Android version only costs $25 so getting the PC version first and then the Android version later (if need be) is not a bad course of action anyway (IMHO) assuming you also have a PC/laptop/netbook of some sort.

Can't comment on what would be best for in car. I am not familar with "tablets" or Android Ozi. I just use Hema Navigator (or Two Nav Aventura) as I prefer the minimalist approach (netbook packed away in the back).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 753885

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:33

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:33
Hi Greg

I gather that you have a screen mounted or in-dash unit as you also like the "minimalistic approach". I cannot stand the CB being mounted in an overhead console with the cable flicking me in the face in rough country that we have a lot of around here.

I thought that it may be the android system he was talking about and couldn't comment on that side. I gather it is the same idea as we have. Ozi PC version to plan and set up at home and then OziCE for the car.

Phil
FollowupID: 753886

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:40

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:40
Hi Phil

Yeah screen mounted. Would not go down the in dash path as that is stuck in the one car. No good if you use the wifes car or use hire cars which I do a fair bit...plus with the TwoNav Aventura at least you can also remove it from the car and go for a walk all day. If you have an in dash unit (as good as they may be) you would also need a handheld gps if you had any plans of going exploring on foot - horses for courses.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 753888

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:03

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:03
No reason you cant use both - actually 3 systems i have

only thing you wont need is the GPS mouse

the ozi explorer is for windows so wont run on your android tablet

but for $25 the ozi for android works fine and ive used it on my phone

you can also download the ozi explorer clone app androzic which also works well but needs maps converted to ozf using the previous version converter which they have on their website

as its not apple these programs can be run simultaneusly using the same maps at the same time.

also download the GPS over BT app which will turn your tablet into a bluecomputer fromtooth mouse from which you can run Ozi explorer on your laptop with
FollowupID: 753892

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:17

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:17
Get outmore Don't know what your name is therefore that will have to do.

Wouldn't you have trouble with GPS location if you want to use it without a GPS mouse while on the move?

Wouldn't the metal body of the car shield the satellites?

Not trying to be smart. One son gave the laptop a go with a GPS stuck in the side of the laptop and ended up plugging the external GPS antenna back in. Not enough satellites are visible to the laptop or tablet when sitting on your lap in the car. He had to stop every now and then to get a good fix otherwise Ozi lost his location.

Phil
FollowupID: 753894

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:33

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:33
agree an external GPS mouse may do a better job but todays GPS seem to work quite well in a vehicle especially if on or near the dash.

I use my phone as a gps mouse mounted on the dash where a sart nav would go. it runs ozi explorer and androzic and in addition supplys GPS data to my laptop which is running ozi

to do this you use the GPS over BT app
FollowupID: 753897

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:47

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:47
That's what he found out also. So they gave the laptop away and stuck a box in the dash for OziCE and entertainment using external GPS antenna on the roof. Much better in the Vic high country valleys. A bit after the old man we think. They also do not like cables and stuff hanging around in the cabin. Even the stuff on the widscreen needs a 12V cable. Especially around the gearstick and Hi/Lo range lever and locker/lights switches. They always have a habit of catching you at the wrong time.

But some don't mind it. Each to his own.

Whats you name mate? I find it funny talking to these chooky/toy internet names.

Phil
FollowupID: 753898

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 09:10

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 09:10
Hi rosschris

If you are after something small, have you considered a Netbook. 10" screen, small enough to fit on the consul of the Hilux and all the features of their bigger brothers, eg downloading photos, trip reports etc and at a far cheaper price.

At least you know that a Netbook will work with Ozi no problems what so ever.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478393

Follow Up By: Member - rosschris - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 14:11

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 14:11
hi we have thought of a notebook...my sister has one that whe doesnt need just waiting for her to get home from holidays in a week or 2 to ask..its an option i guess...so many good answers to this.. just want to get it right ...dont want to buy something and then find it doesnt suit yr needs. we have been looking at the different threads on gps etc for a while ...there is no clear cut answer...we will look at all the comments and go from there ...loooks like we have all been down this line if we love to travel...many thanks..chris
FollowupID: 753904

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 14:28

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 14:28
Hi Chris

What ever way you go, you will find Ozi easy to use and just great for any driving conditions.

All the best for what ever you go for.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 753907

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 19:22

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 19:22
We've got a cheapie Chinese 7" GPS which has worked faultlessly with Oziexplorer for years, recently bought an Aldi 10" Android tablet which runs the Android version of Oziexplorer perfectly as well.
You will need the full Oziexplorer version for your home PC, laptop or netbook/notebook to be able to fully use either the windows CE version on a standalone GPS or the android version on a Android tablet.
AnswerID: 478436

Follow Up By: WBS - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 14:43

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 14:43
I'm not into tablets of any kind, so I can't comment on those. What I want to say is I bought a 7"GPS off ebay that came with iGo8 street navigation and loaded OziExplorer CE onto it. I also carry a laptop for when we stop. This setup has proved very successful as the unit mounts onto the windscreen via a Ram mount so it is not a problem as a laptop is to mount. It has performed faultlessly since purchase. I run NATMAP maps as well as Hema.

wbs
FollowupID: 753977

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:27

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:27
do you have any problems with track creation of androzic?

this is what sent me off of it so darn good but it would send random point 000sof km away for the track- just one ending up with random lines

i still have it and ran it side by side at the same time as Ozi and that was the deal breaker - everything else is fine
FollowupID: 753987

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 21:17

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 21:17
You can buy a 10" tablet that runs windows 7 but the cheapest will set you back around $600. It probably won't have GPS built in either so you are up for a GPS mouse as well. On the up side it will have all sorts of ports like usb, network, bluetooth and video out just like a normal laptop plus a normal hard drive. The battery life is usually ordinary on them compared to the Android and Ipad tablets. You definately get more bang for your buck out of an Android tablet. I'm not saying they are the best but they have the most features at the cheapest price. Androzic is free and will read the Ozi maps. Cheers
AnswerID: 478445

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 21:53

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 21:53
Ok I'll do this one more time only

Go to this site and download the following APP:

Androzic

This is a FREE open source software Android APP, that runs Ozi-Ex Maps so successfully that Ozi-ex has been reduced to attempting encryption of its OXF3 mapping format.

Have a look and make up your own mind.

DD
AnswerID: 478448

Follow Up By: Member - rosschris - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 22:16

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012 at 22:16
hi dust devil thank you for your advice will definately look at this too ....u know in the early days we travelled with friends on some of our big trips but in the last 10 years we have just toured on our own with nothing more than a uhf radio , some maps , the right gear most of the time and just went for it knowing at the time of the year we were travelling so were other like wise people....we have had things go wrong many times but always managed to get help.. being in nrma premium care always got us out of trouble when on the road...as ross says we were never lost just misplaced...but as we get older and travel more.... senseability has crept in ...especially with technology as it is now...but for all this there is no clear cut solution...thats why chatting to all you addicted travellers in this great country of ours is priceless...we get the right info for what really works in sometimes trying circumstances. thank you..
FollowupID: 753950

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 15:37

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 15:37
Then go to E.Bay and buy a Android 7" tablet (around $265) with built in GPS, one with windscreen holder and 12 Volt adaptor, get your maps loaded onto a micro sd card (8Gig) and away you go. But that's not all (lol) you can then use it as a computer, buy a Telstra Next G Elite wireless modem and your all set up.
Now why am I using the Android cause it has the best screen res for a 7" device.
FollowupID: 753984

Follow Up By: Member - rosschris - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:44

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:44
hi bruce we have been still looking at tablets tooo... can u give us the name of the one u bought ....we have been looking at 3g as we have a wireless stick and gps etc ...some seem to look like they could do everything we ask..but we were spooked about which one could possibley work and not wanting to purchase and get caught out... . im sure now we will end up with whats right for us without all the trial and error so many good comments ...it helps sort out the maya of what would suit us. many thanks chris and ross
FollowupID: 754034

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:06

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:06
Hi, it is called a, only fault I can find is the sound is not loud enough, but other than that I cannot fault it.
FollowupID: 754056

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:07

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:07
It is called a Dropad don't know what I did there lol
FollowupID: 754057

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:20

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:20
Image Could Not Be Found

This is a 10" Tablet running windows 7, I have MS Office 2010 and Ozi Explore installed. I can also plug in a external harddrive etc as it has two powered USB 2 ports. It is mounted in my Hilux using a RAM mount. I also have a 150mm long keypad and mousepad that works off bluetooth. As it runs the same programs as my laptop its easy to file share. My wife at first hated it until she started to use it to view the pictures off her DSLR camera. I also play my music off it via a 3.5mm cable to my Headunit. When I am home I can plug it into my 24" monitor or into the caravan LCD screen (will also play downloaded movies via USB) and use it as a desktop when updating Oziexplore for trip planning.

Craig
AnswerID: 478500

Follow Up By: Member - rosschris - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:57

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:57
hi craig
we started to look at these tablets with the 10 inch screen to0 because of their versatility..and because we thought we needed windows 7 to run ozi explorer .....they are a bit more expensive and we couldnt decide which one might work the best for us. can u please advise the brand that u are running at this time...recommendations are priceless...taking the guess work out for us.......we now know there is android version of ozi explorer..i guess what it could comes back to no matter what the price ....reliability sturdiness for the shacking it will get if mounted...versatility and that its easy to use and read....without taking up to much room ....i personally dont mind having the 10 inch in my lap if need be as i love looking at where we are going so much easier on the eyes when u need to put on glasses to read these days to''...many thanks chris and ross.
FollowupID: 754036

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:12

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:12
Good job Craig.

But don't you sometimes feel crowded with all the cables and hardware in the cabin? I would worry about having a prang or roll over.

Where is the UHF?

One of our fire extinguishers is mounted to the passengers side of the center console and right where the ram mount is so that we can both get at it quickly and without anything in the way. Being in a 100 our transfer case lever is just under where the main swivel for the mount sits. I imagine one would be available to get around this though as it would be terribly difficult getting to the lever with the screen there as is. Looks like yours is a bit easier to get at.

Like I said, good job mate. It wouldn't work in our situation though.

Phil
FollowupID: 754039

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:03

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:03
Chris and Ross,
I bought mine in China as I go there once a month. Sites like madeinchina.com will lead you to some great sites. I will look for the company that I got mine from and send it on when I get back to Perth tonight/tomorrow. I paid 200$ for the computer + a full version of Windows 7 200$. It has a solid state hard drive, intel processor and 2 gig of ram. For its aplication it works well.

Phil,
I hate cables! What I have done is mounted the power unit under the seat and also a powered 4 plug USB 2 adaptor. Thus the only leads going to the computer is power and one USB that plugs in using a 90 degree pin so its flush. The cables are now inside the RAM conduite. The Tablet can be adjusted with the mount to best suit one or two ocupants. As the wife now uses it it works in well. I also have it on the net so can google accomodation etc when we get into a location if need be.

My fire estinquisher is at the front of my seat and another in the rear gull wing box in the tray. The UHF is mounted in the dash at the base of my center consul. Its all a bit tight but its a small car so I need to work with what I have

Regards
Craig
FollowupID: 754048

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:53

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:53
It is a balancing act between access and usability. At least a 100 series cabin has a little bit more room.

I better go. Another weekend in the high country and I need to make sure we have everything.

Cheers and take care

Phil
FollowupID: 754052

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:26

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:26
Well done Craig. This a very elegant setup and being Windows based would run a swag of other things really well too.

Unlike iPads which are something of an acquired taste to work, don't run Ozi and cost three times as much.
FollowupID: 754139

Reply By: JR - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:55

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:55
I keep getting "map error" when trying to use NSW maps into Androzic and Festy maps
I have used them OK in 2 versions of Ozi
Victoria are OK
AnswerID: 478537

Follow Up By: JR - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:58

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:58
That would be "map index error"
FollowupID: 754038

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:20

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:20
If you haven't done already force a new map index process.

In the PC version it's the Map index function on the Map drop down menu.

Phil
FollowupID: 754041

Follow Up By: JR - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:32

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:32
Yeah tried this but no good
It raises a pop up window with whole NSW maps listed
EXCEPT 2 maps for near Wollongong?? which seem OK
FollowupID: 754042

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:03

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:03
My error.

It's the Reindex Map Files function.

Try that one.

Phil
FollowupID: 754047

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:05

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:05
Hey JR

How did that go? Did it fix it?

Phil
FollowupID: 754049

Follow Up By: JR - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28
Nope, I get the same error at an initial startup then if I try to "Reset Index"
map index error then a window with all NSW maps listed
I tried redownloading Zip file, unzipping again, moving to directory differently everything I can think about
Im using the same files in Ozi WinCE on car gps no problem
Im doing something wrong, doesnt make sense the two NSW file that do work?
Im using a Motorola Xoom in this case
FollowupID: 754060

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:43

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:43
I think that it's time to ask Ozi themselves.

Try this email: info@oziexplorer.com

You could give them the link to this thgread. It may save back and forth Q&A.

PHil
FollowupID: 754064

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:20

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:20
Some newer ozi OZF3 files are encrypted and not readable in Androzic and other non Oziexplorer programs.

More info here on Androzic's home page
FollowupID: 754145

Reply By: Graham LC100 - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 16:18

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 16:18
Hi I have used Oziexplorer on a laptop in my 4x4 for many years as well as on an unlocked Mio gps, chinese double din gps unit and on my Acer Iconia tablet.
The maps I use on the tablet (android) are the Zone Maps as the 250k mosaic is just too large for the tablets internal memory and the area maps just change to often for my liking.
Depending on your tablet you can purchase a windscreen mount to house it I obtained mine thru ebay from the USA only about $40.
Happy travels stay of the black stuff as much as possible.
AnswerID: 478569

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:19

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:19
Bluetooth gps have come down in price lately. This on for $40 is ex Melbourne
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Great-Value-SiRF-III-20-CHS-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver/280759890004?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=018&category=156955&cmd=ViewItem#ht_1948wt_954

Saves at least one wire.
FollowupID: 754137

Sponsored Links