Canning Stock Route - Track Care WA to construct new toilets.

Track Care WA is proposing to construct 3 new toilets on the Canning Stock Route. The group is departing Perth 16/4/2012 duration about 3 weeks. We have room for another 3 - 4 capable and well equipped vehicles with enthusiastic occupants who may be interested in participating in this trip of a lifetime and assist in the construction of 3 toilets, BBQ's, etc at wells along the southern half. For more information, contact Ben by email on csr@trackcare.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 03:14

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 03:14
Now that's a good Idea.
Now all they have to do is empty them occasionally.

The shovel and paper toilet down behind the bushes is a lot more hygenic, than the "Dunny's" we found.

Most disappointed, and stinky

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 478456

Follow Up By: Member - Ben B (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:20

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:20
Hi Bucky,
We are lead to believe that the 3 existing toilets on the Canning - Well 6, Durba Springs, and Georgia Bore, are being emptied regularly by some Tag Along groups (in particular John Forwood of Broome Tag Alongs) and also some of the indigenous Ranger Groups from Jigalong and Parnngurr.
In particular, our new toilets have 2 vents so air is being forced in one and out the other so when you lift the seat you are not knocked over with the odour and the accumulation in the trailer underneath is dry and unoffensive.
The shovel and paper toilet in the bushes is not more hygenic as is shown by the sea of toilet paper blowing around the outback due to people not bothering to dig a deep enough hole, burn it, or take it out with you. Would everybody please, take a plastic bag with you, drop the used paper into the bag and dispose of it later in the fire??
We hope the disappointing dunnies you found were not on the Canning Stock Route.
Ben
FollowupID: 753970

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 13:21

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 13:21
From my recollection

Well 6 ......clean
Durban Springs.......1 foul.....the other almost as foul
Gorgia Bore......disgusting

Not on the. canning, but almost, Wolf Creek Crator ....Disgusting

I dig, and I bury everything.
Neat and clean.

Cheers Bucky
FollowupID: 753973

Follow Up By: Member - Ben B (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 13:47

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 13:47
That is pretty discouraging. They will only be as good as the people using them.
If they are found in this condition, we rely on the people out there to make an attempt to clean them up. It is a huge personal cost to Track Care WA members to visit the Stock Route once per year, and maintenance of these toilets is an issue to us.
If you see them needing attention, we implore every traveller to take some ownership and each do a bit to clean them. We will service them in April for the start of the CSR season, but we need help to keep them reasonable.
Thanks Bucky for your comments.
Ben
FollowupID: 753975

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 21:45

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 21:45
If possible, do you not think I would not clean it up ?
How, when you are in the middle od no where ?

Needed a front end loader, and a 44 full of Phenol.
Fairdinkum, I have never seen composting "dunny's", or long drops so bad.

And we have done some driving over the years.
Maybe it was the year of neglect.
Lets hope next time we do the Canning, those "dunny's" improve a lot, or I will do my own again.

Cheers'
Bucky

FollowupID: 754008

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 22:34

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 22:34
While I aplaud the efforts of the vollunteers I can only think that in a remote area like the Canning with very little if any recources that the maintenance, cleaning & emptying of the toilets will become a burdon in the future left to just a few. We often see it up the Vic High country where adding facilities including toilets attracts increased campers putting additional pressure on these areas. Several of these toilets are full to overflowing & in some cases Parks don't even have the budget to empty them.
Personally I prefer remote areas like the Canning to be left without doing up the wells, without signage at every corner, without pine barriers, without concrete fire pits & without toilets. I suppose we call it progress.
Cheers Craig................
FollowupID: 754017

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 23:53

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 23:53
Craig,

Dunnies were placed at Durba (and other areas) to provide a facility that added to the amenity of the area. Having been there before the toilets were built, you cannot imagine just how inconsiderate people were. Imagine a sole water source forever infected with Guardia and the like. That's very possibly what we were facing. The sign on the toilets as I recall, implores all travellers to take responsibility and do their part to assist if needed. bleep it's not hard (did you like that double entendre ;-) and they're right.

Just about every member of this site could give a horror story of camping sites ruined by loo paper and rubbish. Struth go to any site on Fraser without toilets and try and find a place to pitch a tent that isn't covered in crap! DQB in Rudall, 12, 38, 48 or any other number of Canning wells. More memorable from the dunny paper flying about and the smell these days than anything else. The Canning, like so many iconic outback tracks, is pedestrian these days. Sad but true. It's on everyone's list and with several thousand vehicles on it over the short window of the travel season, it's a main road these days.

Without starting an argument, we actually travel the Canning and stay at Durba with the blessing of the Martu people. One of the key reasons the toilets were actually built, and later moved was because the T/O's weren't happy with people crapping all over a site that is relatively significant to them.

My point is that it only takes a few good people to make the difference. We've all seen the ugly side and or met the "Ugly Aussies" but we'll all suffer as travellers when good people consider it not worthwhile to make an effort any more.

I'll get off the soapbox now.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 754027

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:43

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:43
Mick
We consider ourselves good people.
We clean up other peoples mess, every time we come across it, no questions asked.
But neither SWMBO or myself will not use filthy or disgusting toilets, end of story.
We are thoughtfully to others, and never leave anything behind, but footprints, and a deep hole.
I cannot see why others cannot either use these facilities properly, or report full any near full or overflowing "dunny's",
We would but there are no contact numbers, or emptying facilities anywhere.
Perhaps our Volunteers can have contact numbers for people with sat phones orHF radio's to report them.

Cheers Bucky
FollowupID: 754037

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 14:54

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 14:54
Great Work Ben. Unfortunately we’re booked elsewhere this year but let me commend Track Care members and volunteers on the work they do. While they were still pretty new when I was there, the works at Georgia Bore were fantastic. Haven’t seen the relocated dunnies at Durba yet but the old ones worked exceptionally well (prior to being burnt). Also saw the Youtube video of the relocation exercise. Do you reckon you could convince Parks WA to install a composting dunny unit at desert Queen Baths Camp area? God knows it needs one. ;-)

Like you I’d hope all remote area travellers would have the wherewithal to do a bit of maintenance, emptying or even cleaning if required. We can’t help the actions of a despicable few but we can make things better for those that follow.

Cheers and keep up the great work

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478474

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:02

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:02
Mick seeing as you spend half your life tramping around our deserts and parks why not join Track Care, you don't have to be a West Aussie. I'll send you the membership forms if you'd like.

You too Bucky.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 753986

Reply By: Member - IdahOz - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:23

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:23
We won't have the time off at the time of your excursion sadly, but the CSR is on our list of places to go before too long. In the meantime can we support you in other ways? We are avid campers and while we are fairly new residents here in WA we are thrilled with and dedicated to our new home .
AnswerID: 478479

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:26

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:26
IdahOz I'm the Treasurer/Membership Officer for TCWA, so if you MM me your details I'll send you our Membership details which includes details of what Track Care WA does.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753998

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:40

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:40
A membership form is availableHERE
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 753999

Follow Up By: Member - IdahOz - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:45

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:45
Thanks, will do, Fraun
FollowupID: 754001

Follow Up By: 158 - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 00:00

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 00:00
Just signed up thanks Dunc, should have done it years ago.

Cheers
FollowupID: 754028

Reply By: Member - Greydemon (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 18:00

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 18:00
Sadly it clashes with Fairbridge - where I am all booked in and paid up. Have downloaded the Trackcare membership form so might be able to help another time (Once I have found out how to get around the cute but very old fashioned request for a 'cheque')

Nick
AnswerID: 478487

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:41

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:41
Nick MM me and we'll see what we can do for you.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754000

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:50

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:50
Well done Ben and Track Care and keep up the good work.

Crackles in follow up 5 of 7 you said
“Personally I prefer remote areas like the Canning to be left without doing up the wells, without signage at every corner, without pine barriers, without concrete fire pits & without toilets. I suppose we call it progress.” Sadly those days are dying out.

I've been travelling the outback since 1976 and seen places like Karajini go from little known and visited gorges to bus loads of people. The area now has camping areas, visitors centre, copper logs etc. Yep it’s progress.

Likewise the CSR cannot cope with ever increasing visitor and vehicle pressure, the desert is just too fragile.

The CSR has now became a must do 4Wdtrip and has gained not only a national but an international reputation as well. Sadly the CSR is coming under greater visitor pressure each year, if we all go around doing our own thing we will soon find more areas being shut down and fewer areas to visit. The only way to accommodate the extra visitors and vehicles is to control access, camping areas, fire areas, toilets etc. Expect to see higher permit fees in the future as another control mechanism. We may not like it but expect more of it.

If we can all do our bit and help in some way let’s do so. After all we want the CSR to still be accessible in 20, 30 or 50 years time. And hopefully it won’t be without trees because they have been burnt for firewood hopefully without rubbish strewn about and smit everywhere.

Why not join Track Care WA, you may not be able to attend meetings or work trips but your membership fee will go towards projects.

Again Ben and Track Care keep up the good work; you guys have done a fantastic job with the CSR and have developed a great relationship with the Traditional Owners. This can only be good for the future of the CSR.

Stay well everyone
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 478555

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28
Bucky

My wife and I agree with you. We no longer use the VC Memorial dunnies along Remembrance Drive on the Hume Hwy.

You don't have to go into remote areas to see disgusting toilets. Those on the above stretch of road are some of the most disgusting we have seen and we do a fair bit of travelling.

The sad side of these particular rest areas come toilets is that they are suppose to
memorials to our VC winners.
FollowupID: 754061

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 06:02

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 06:02
Boo Boo

I think it's great thet rhey put up "dunnies" all over the place.

Now Clean them REGULARLY !

Regularly is the key word here

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 754119

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 21:59

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 21:59
On last years trip we were unable to tow away toilet trailer to dump as no one in group had matching trailer coupling.Not many trailers up there use standard coupling and most vehicles left their trailer coupling at home.
Perhaps trailers should just have a coupling that would fit the standard H/r sleeve and pin.
Might find more people willing to assist if so.
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478589

Sponsored Links