Adventure Way (Queensland)

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:32
ThreadID: 92048 Views:4180 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Will be driving through Outback Queensland October this year with my family.

Maps & books I've read or purchased of "Outback" Queensland focus further north around Longreach, Winton & Mount Isa. We'll be heading west from Cunnamulla to Innamincka, then back to Cunnamualla via Eromanga/Quilpie/Toompine & Yowah. But there appears very little information on road conditions in this area.

I'm a "pen-pusher" with little or no mechanical skills, towing a 4WD camper trailer. Any thoughts or suggestions that you believe may assist us or places of interest (other than Noccundra & the Dig Tree) not so obvious would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robbo (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:19

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:19
Road surface from west of Quilpie though to Toompine, Eulo is excellent bitumen , abeit a bit narrow . Just remember to slow for oncomings as they will kick up gravel from the verge . West of Quilpie the road is gravel but well maintained ( as of Sept /Oct 2011)
AnswerID: 478470

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:43

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 16:43
West from Cunnamulla it is bitumen through to Nappa Merrie (dig tree) except the last 79km which is gravel.

Alan
FollowupID: 753988

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 17:04

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 17:04
Not sure where you are leaving from but we always kick off our trips from Nindygully Pub near St George. Great spot,top food and friendly people. Lots to see inThargominda. Didn't realy enjoy the hospitality of the staff at Noccundra Hotel. I would check with the people of Yowah about what is open there as last time I was there the underground Opal mines were closed due to flooding.(place reminded me of the movie Deliverance) I would suggest going to the Dig Tree after Innaminka via the northern loop road. The landscape is awesome on that road. Good pub at Eromanga but not much else but still not a bad drive. It is a great part of Australia with heaps of history so I hope you have fun.
Cheers MickImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 478483

Follow Up By: Member - Hatbadges - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 17:31

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 17:31
Thanks Michael & Chris,

Have heard the people of Yowah are not the friendliest so I'm 50/50 on that score. After we've done with the Outback we're heading to Brisbane. My New Years Resolution is to have a beer at the Eromanga Pub & the Nindygilly Pub is one of the destinations I intend to visit heading east so thanks for the detail & pics.
FollowupID: 753993

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:22

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 20:22
I can say with good authority NOT to drink the water at Eromanga, there is contamination in the bore water which is undergoing investigation for the cause.

Also be aware that there has been Major flooding in the area and some roads which were in good order a couple of months ago may well be damaged.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 478501

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 23:16

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 23:16
Thats why I recommend the pub Kev, no need to drink water haha.
FollowupID: 754025

Reply By: eighty matey - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 22:32

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 22:32
Hi Hatbadges,

I suggest going to the ExploreOz shop and buy the book called Australian Bush Pubs, by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage.

We have that book and use it as an atlas!! I enjoy playing dot to dot with the different pubs in the book.

It's all good country out there. Spectacular and huge. Good people and good times.

Have fun,

eighty matey
AnswerID: 478516

Follow Up By: eighty matey - Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 22:45

Thursday, Feb 23, 2012 at 22:45
Hema's Outback Queensland covers that whole area and Queensland Tourism has heaps of info at - http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/outback/outback_home.cfm

Once you find something use Google to get more info.
Eulo is a good place to stop for some Sticky Date Liquer (yum) and a mud bath - apparentlly it's heaps better than it sounds.
Thargo was the third city in the World to have electric lighting - check out the hydro power station.
Toompine has a pub.
Quilpie has a great bakery and a lot of interesting opals.
Yowah has some interesting characters if you can find them but no fuel. The back road from Yowah to Thargo's fun.
Windorah's "vision impaired" service staion attendant is a real character and a credit to determination.
The Cooper Creek with water is a sight to behold, not to mention the fish and yabbies.
There's heaps more.

Have fun,

eighty matey
FollowupID: 754018

Sponsored Links