Migration time again

Submitted: Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 06:09
ThreadID: 92067 Views:2512 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all. It's that time of year again that we will be heading across to Oz to recharge my batteries. We have a 100 series Landcruser parked in Margaret River and will be towing a outback version of the Coromal Silhouette camper trailer.
The intention is to drive via the South West to Esperance, across the Nullarbor towards Adelaide and than North via the Oodnadetta track towards Darwin, do the Gouldian bird count in Wyndham in September again before returning to Margs.
Both the cruiser and camper needs servicing. If you know of any reliable good mechanics and auto electricians in the Busselton area I would love to hear from you.
Also I am into birding and will be stopping at the Eyre bird observatory. Last year the Broome bird observatory was great and I stopped there twice last season. I can highly recommandBroome should you travel that way this winter.. Any other birding spots i should visit on my route?
Many thanks in anticipation. This forum is and has been great in the past.

regards Case, NZ.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:18

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:18
Hi Caseh,
Small detour to Waikerie in the riverland and 50 kms north of there is a place called Gluepot some nice bird hides there, I think it is run by Birds Australia.

Regards

Graham
AnswerID: 478529

Follow Up By: caseh - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:42

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 07:42
Thanks Graham.It's on my list. But please keep them coming. There must be plenty of places in this large country where the birds are hiding.

Cheers, Case
FollowupID: 754033

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:42

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 08:42
G/Day Case NZ

I noticed a couple of nice looking bare breasted birds sun baking on the beach the other day over here on the Gold Coast.

They were a bit of a distraction while I was surf fishing.

Have a good trip mate.

Cheers
AnswerID: 478536

Reply By: Wayne David - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:03

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:03
I see you're going to Wyndham, so you probably already know about Parry's Lagoon.

For us Parry's Lagoon was the best thing about that entire area. We're so glad that we turned off the main road & ventured down dusty tracks to see that amazing place with it's lagoons, birdlife & hides.

http://wyndham.wa.au/visiting/places-to-stay/parrys-creek-farm-tourist-resort

Cheers - Wayne
AnswerID: 478543

Follow Up By: caseh - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:43

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:43
Thanks Wayne. Stayed at Perry's for a week. Was our base during the Gouldian count. Nice part of the world too. Thanks for keeping me in mind.
cheers, case
FollowupID: 754063

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:23

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:23
Hi Case,

Another bird place is Newhaven, not far from Alice Springs off the Tanami Track to the south. I think its a Birds Australia place.

Also have a search for Bush Heritage properties as these may offer birding opportunities.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 478550

Follow Up By: caseh - Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:45

Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:45
Hi Val. Thanks for that. I will sit down and have a search around for that one, new to me.

to all: Apart from the birding still looking for a reliable motormechanic and auto electrician around Busso to check over and service the rig before we leave.

cheers, case
FollowupID: 754065

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 08:37

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 08:37
Hi again Case, Have a look at this link to Newhaven. It looks like an interesting place withthe chance to spot some very rare birds. I have seen photos taken by folk who have visted there, but we have not been there.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754121

Follow Up By: caseh - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:59

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:59
Hi Val.
Thanks for the link. I found it after your first post. It's on my list of things to do.
Quite a long list I might add but only have 6 months to do it in. Already thinking towards 2013.
Many thanks, regards, case
FollowupID: 754148

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:36

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:36
Hi

Have a look here for some ideas on where to look for birds in WA

Frank O'Connor's Birding Western Australia

Recent (and historical) birds sightings in WA here

Western Australia Recent Bird Sightings

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 478691

Sponsored Links