prospecting in the pilbara

Submitted: Friday, Feb 24, 2012 at 20:25
ThreadID: 92081 Views:1539 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
trying to find like minded people in Pilbara region who would like to go on group prospecting trips not fussed about what is found could be gold, gemstones or just interesting artifacts. Any interest?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 13:10

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 13:10
G'day carol b1

Your post is interesting and poses a few things you need to consider if you have not already done so.

The Pilbara is huge ~ 510,000 square km's and for the most part it is under some form of official title : Pastoral, Aboriginal communities, Native title, National Parks, Conservation reserves etc, Vacant Crown Land and of course the ever expanding Mining tenement (mine lease)

No matter where you go, you are treading on someones land and to do so without permission from the land or lease owner, could make life difficult in the legal sense. I'm not saying you should not take the detector for a walk, just make sure you have the permission and permits in place.

Some years ago, I detected the sandy bed of the Coongan River at the Jasper ~ Marble Bar, as an elderly lady had lost a bracelet she had since her youth ~ anyway I though I was doing the right thing by her ~ but I was later in the day rounded up by the Copper from Marble Bar and quizzed over my detecting in the Marble Bar reserve. Luckily I had my miners right permit with me and he accepted the story about the "Old Ladies lost bracelet" ~ yes the bracelet is still lost.

Safe travels:
AnswerID: 478613

Follow Up By: uncle - Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 13:54

Saturday, Feb 25, 2012 at 13:54
The local copper at Marbly Bar is a detector operator himself, and his wife works at the mining registar in the town, so I guess he might be staking his area..lol

cheers Unc
FollowupID: 754154

Reply By: carol b1 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 02:49

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 02:49
thanks Joe,
I will keep that in mind when I am out there. Surely there must be some places to go!?
AnswerID: 478668

Sponsored Links