BT-50 5 cylinder 6speed auto

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:03
ThreadID: 92109 Views:2264 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all we are just about to purchase a new tug to go touring, we are pulling a 17'6"coromal van an plan to be on the road for some time.We are quite impressed with the BT-50 auto and hope to get some feed back on the good bad and the ugly.If you own or have used one for work please let us know what your thoughts are on the vehicle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:14

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:14
Read the manual. Its not advised towing while running in.
AnswerID: 478681

Reply By: ChrisE - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 15:58

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 15:58
Same as the ford ranger made in same Thai factory. Same drive train, just some cosmetic and feature differences. The newest model is better for quality. I drove one of the older ones about 2003 and it was gutless for towing a tandem and small kubota tractor up a hill, but haven't driven the new model.
AnswerID: 478722

Reply By: Member - iijmartin - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:38

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:38
Hi Carl,
If I was to upgrade my 2010 Navara D40 t/d dualcab, the BT50 would be my 1st choice. I have driven the GT version auto and was very impressed. I dont need the leather seats etc of this model and would choose the XTR. The Mazdas are competitively priced about $4000 less than the Fords albeit without the towbar.
They certainly have plenty of extra features compared to my current vehicle (but are also dearer as well). Availability??
Good lucking searching,
Ian
AnswerID: 478765

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:49

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 20:49
Totally agree with Ian, I have driven two new BT 50s autos and am very impressed. Have also driven an Amorak manual, just did not like the clutch. As I have some time to decide I can wait for the new Isuzu D-Max out in June to make a final decision.
FollowupID: 754292

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:10

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:10
G,day Carl,
I’ve just signed up for a new 6-speed automatic XTR dual cab BT50. I have to wait a month for the 2012 model to arrive. I’m very impressed with the specifications, performance, features and value for money of the Mazda.

I was planning to buy a second-hand 100 Series Landcruiser. However, I’ve opted for the Mazda since it’s going to be over $10K cheaper than a six-year-old Landcruiser or a new Pajero, and the dual cab suits my needs better than a sedan.

Like you, I tow a caravan, a 20ft 2006 Coromal Corvair. My 2006 Hilux pulls it well, however, the Mazda will do it with ease. I plan to get a bigger van in a cuppla years and this helped me to decide on the Mazda. The motor is impressive; powerful, torquey, suitably refined, though it does get somewhat noisy under hard acceleration. What car doesn’t !

I’m very impressed with what the Mazda offers as standard equipment and the level of comfort. I like the comfortable seats – especially the lumbar support and seat height adjustment – I’m very tall. I like the ergonomics. I consider the vehicle to be quiet to drive and feel secure in it knowing that it’s achieved a 5-star safety rating. I love the auto gearbox; it can be used manually to slow the vehicle or keep it in a particular gear.

I’m less impressed with the styling, particularly the front view and the wrap-around tail lights. I find the styling of the inside to be very modern and not unattractive. However, I plan to hide the front bumper and grille behind an ECB aluminium bulbar and some driving lights. I’ve seen other BT50s kitted out this way and they look suitably masculine. Mine will also have a towbar, BFG AT tyres and ARB canopy from new. The dealer threw the towbar and wiring loom in for nix when I opted for a trade-free purchase.

The aluminium side steps will be vulnerable to damage if the vehicle is taken into rough territory. I will replace these with sill protectors as they become available; I don’t like the optional Mazda sill protectors !

There’s not a lot more for me to say other than to have a drive of the vehicle and assess it for yourself.
Cheers,
Netnut
AnswerID: 479123

Follow Up By: Member -Carl R (QLD) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 19:04

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 19:04
Your reasoning is the same as ours why buy a 8 year old car half worn out with unknown problems for $60000.Spoke to TJM today and their range of winch bars and canopy to suit the BT50 will be in store in 2 weeks
FollowupID: 754680

Sponsored Links