Primus fridges?

Hi, have been looking at 12v fridges for some time now and just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Primus range of fridges? Their 40ltr looks to be good value and certainly appears well made, but I can't decide whether it is safer to go with a more well known brand like a waeco?

Also the 55ltr duo looks interesting but I think the fridge (31ltr) is just a little bit too small. It will only be me and my partner but so perhaps that would be adequate?

Appreciate any help :)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: guzzi - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:18

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:18
4 wd action did a fridge comapro about 12 months ago with a 60 ltr one of these in the review.
They did OK until the ambient temp exceeded 47 deg C then the internal temp started to rise excessively, it reached 26 deg inside temp when outside temp reached 60 deg C.
The idea was to simulate being locked in a parked car in the sun on a hot day.
Drew .79 amp/hr averaged over 24 hrs.
I was looking at these and the Bushman when I was looking to buy a few years ago and because there was no available owner reviews or a great deal of any other info I ended up with the Bushman. It maintained about 4 deg C inside when the ambient temp reached 60 deg in the same test.
The bushman can go from 35 through to 52 ltrs with changing the lids and adding a collar, we use it for a growing family of 4 for up to a week beach camping and find it sufficient.
Apart from that the primus is a well finished unit which will do the job as long as you dont leave it in the car on hot days, it maintained its internal temps up to 47 deg C so if this isnt an issue it may well be worth considering.
Cheers
AnswerID: 478706

Follow Up By: Simon H1 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:24

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 14:24
Interesting results, not too sure how often if at all it would be left in th car on a hot day, will most likely be unloaded from car into camp site immediately upon arrival, but those results clearly say something about the compressor they use, obviously its not the best.
FollowupID: 754241

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 19:33

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 19:33
Simon.
I purchased my primus III last year for my trip up the CSR ( 60 L ) it was used as a freezer in our crew of 4 vehicles, mind you we had a variety of units.
1 x 40 L engel , 3 x ARB 40 L units ,The 60 L Primus also a small waeco just to mention a few.
The Primus performed extremely well holding @ -11 deg consistently for the whole trip, until around well 40 where it failed.
After frozen food was transferred to other units with myself being a little disheartened, we carried on.
Once we had returned to Perth the usual phone calls were made re; warranty and unit was taken to place in Bayswater to which the statemant was made,Pick it up in 2 weeks!!.
I was called prior to the 2 weeks and told come and get it so the question was asked, what was the issue? to which the answer was a loose connection on main board, and we just replaced the board complete.
Now I am not an expert at how these thing's work, but the service,backup,communication and the overall performance of my unit is nothing short of excellent, and it has been used on other occasions since with no issues at all.
So in saying that I would have no hesitation in purchasing another one.
And although my other fridge (40 L Engel) has been flawless for nearly 7 years now, I still believe the Primus is just as good.

Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 478749

Follow Up By: Simon H1 - Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 19:53

Sunday, Feb 26, 2012 at 19:53
Hi Flighty, thanks for your response! Just wondering if you had any idea what the power consumption was like?

Thanks
Simon
FollowupID: 754282

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:00

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:00
I have just had a 60L replaced under warranty (remote temp dint work form new ) internal sen prob....
this is my 2nd primus primus older 40L . find it works fine & uses very little power .

But as said they dont like the out side temp to high so keep out of "hot" car, van sun ,etc . also have a primus cover for the 40 to help with this !!!!

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 754310

Follow Up By: Simon H1 - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:32

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:32
Thanks nick,

So in light of the hot external temperature issue, would you still choose a primus over say a waeco?
FollowupID: 754313

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:14

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:14
from what I have been told form others that have waecos they would be down the list .

For me I think the primus power consumption & price as well .... you should be able to get a 40L for around $ 850... I dint say before that the fridge I had replaced dint work as good as the replacement ... to long to cool or freezer & more... But very happy with the new one .

if your got the dollars the national luna ....engel are great but maybe energy hungry

4wd action have a good comparo on fridges....No 163

cheers nick

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 754316

Sponsored Links