Question: Plenty Highway

We would like to travel the Great Central Road with our Explorex 4x4 caravan and Toyota Landcruiser instead
of going through the Nullarbor for the 3rd time(driving from Perth to Leonora just before the trip). We have
done the Gibb River road(2010-pretty well graded) from Kununurra to Derby) with both caravan and
Landcruiser but do not wish to get stranded.We have an Epirb and sat phone. My husband has also done the
Canning Stock Route. Any comments?
Thanks Annemarie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 13:56

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 13:56
i would chose it OVER the Nullabour anytime, it was awsome for us, typical inland dirt road with some bad patches but what a drive and if you have never come in from that end to see the Olgas and Ayres rock then that makes it so much better, we even passed TWO pushbike riders in the middle of it all ..............
As far a grading goes it is like any remote road, one day good and next day bad but hey aint that why we "go bush" ????
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 478827

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:54

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:54
Hi Annemarie,

Don't hesitate to go by the GCR. It is a wonderful drive with the roughest part at the NT end. Even there it is not too bad and nothing remotely like the CSR from all accounts (we haven't done that and certainly won't be, unfortunately).

I'm sure you know that you need permits and they can be easily acquired by email.

Min

AnswerID: 478832

Reply By: bgreeni - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 16:38

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 16:38
Drove GCR and Plenty both ways last month. Both good gravel. Just need to check if any of the rivers are up as these might close them.
AnswerID: 478842

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 18:30

Monday, Feb 27, 2012 at 18:30
Hi Annemarie

It sounds like you have a well prepared rig, the experience and good communications. So long as you are well prepared, let the tyres down and take it easy. We have done the Great Central but not the Plenty. The Gary Junction is an even nicer alternative and the less used road is in much better condition, but you come out at Marble Bar. You are welcome to see MyBlogs; 2008 for the Great Central and 2009 for the Gary Junction.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 478855

Sponsored Links