Digital Maps of Pilbara

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:27
ThreadID: 92169 Views:1521 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm new to digital mapping. I'm wondering what map software will give me the most amount of detail when used with an iphone or ipad. I'm taking a group to some areas well off the beaten track west north west of Paraburdoo. What map software will show my location on the least defined tracks?
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 16:42

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 16:42
I am not an expert on digital mapping or Iphones/pads but the device has to have its own internal gps device for it to work away from phone tower reception.

I think only the top model of Ipad has a gps and it has to have a preloaded map system on it before it can track satelites to give you a current position fix and moving map display.

If the device has only tower supplied gps coordinates then in the Pilbara it will be totally useless.

Samsung Galaxy Tab can also do gps mapping with preloaded map systems.

Other EO people will also have further ideas and current usage advice.
AnswerID: 478979

Follow Up By: MADOG - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:50

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:50
The App store has 2 Apps worth looking at - VMS & Hema. Both come with maps within the application covering all of Oz and each has variable features. I have VMS because it was on the market before Hema however I do like the Hema maps and they do have an excellent Pilbarra map. Check them out and yes you need an iPad with phone capability as that technolgy supplies the GPS capabilty ( don't need to have phone setup though ). Suggest you also have an available power source as running GPS drains the iPad. Invertor or an Apple compatiable cigarette lighter plug ( not all 12 v plugs are acceptable to Apple ).
FollowupID: 754613

Sponsored Links