advice on turbo fault finding

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 14:32
ThreadID: 92170 Views:1434 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day

My old 4runner has developed a noise under load, a rattle noise when I put the boot into it, when driven calmly and very gently with no load there is no rattle.

when the old girl is stationary, I can get the rattle but only by revving much higher than I normally would.

Checked all the usual (Loose items etc) and finally checked the turbo, the vanes have some movement in them, If i had to guess about 1 - 2 mm, can definitely move it by finger.

I am thinking that as the noise is only under load and movement in the vanes that the turbo is on the way out, is there a way I can pinpoint this for sure (Isolate the turbo) it is a safari on a 2.8 slowlux motor.

Pretty certain it is the turbo and that a rebuild is coming but would appreciate some thoughts.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 15:14

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 15:14
You sure its not a bottom end rattle ?? How often do you change the oil ?? I use to do myn every 4k, max 5 including filter. The old 2.8 while extremely reliable will go bang if the oil changes are left for too long between changes over a period of time. Normally 3 and 4 bearing goes. I would certainly get it checked before driving it too much more. I reckon my old 2.8 oil pump was getting a bit lazy, was starting to get a bit knocky when it first started for a few seconds in the mornings but it did have 300 thou on it when I sold it. Up untill last year when I saw the bloke again it was still going strong, reckons he hadnt put a spanner on it except usual service..................
AnswerID: 478909

Follow Up By: 4 runner - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 16:39

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 16:39
The old girl gets treated better than my own kids, oil and filter every 3 months or 5000kms.

It still has 9 pounds of boost under load and that is when the noise kicks in.

when driven sedately you would never know the noise is there, however I spend most of my time showing up cruisers and patrols on the dunes down in south west of WA.

FollowupID: 754439

Reply By: Shaver - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 08:36

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 08:36
I would doubt if it was the Turbo, more like something else, namely big ends or mains. Most Turbo's have a bit of play until under oil pressure. If it was the Turbo you would be more like getting scraping or metal against metal noise of it hitting the casing. I have never tried it, but try & jam it temporary with something, give it a rev & see what happens then.
AnswerID: 478964

Reply By: ltzgonow - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 15:32

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 15:32
Hi I blew a turbo, on discovery 320,000 km. around Quilpie pulling a van: never any rattling noises, however occasional noticeable cloud of blue smoke only on starting about 5k/ 3 weeks before it packed up. But obvious power/ pulling loss in the few days before, with increased engine smoke..the motor was still ok after replacing the turbo with a larger one.( after other repairs)..I would be concerned theNOISE IS NOT the turbo... mine was " shot & so loose on the shaft but NOT the blades" Pull that turbo, if it blows and puts oil into the intercooler you may not stop it !! and will have other consequential damage.. check it 1st, good luck.
AnswerID: 478978

Sponsored Links