Lincoln & Coffin Bay National Parks - Best Campsites?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 17:48
ThreadID: 92177 Views:4859 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
In a couple of weeks we are heading to the Eyre Peninsula and plan to stay in the area for about 12 days. We have three nights booked at Memory Cove for the start of the trip, but as this is our first visit to the area we would like some opinions on the other camping areas in both the Lincoln NP and Coffin Bay NP.

We are planning on purchasing a holiday pass for the SA national parks so camping fees shouldn't be an issue. We have the Parks guides for the area, but nothing beats local and actual knowledge of the area.

We have a capable 4WD with tray-top camper, and are pretty self-sufficient with equipment and supplies. Prefer cooking in the camp oven on a fire, but have sufficient gas equipment to manage if no fires allowed.

Hope you can share your experiences and favourite camp-sites in the area.

Cheers, Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dazza0503 - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 19:41

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 19:41
Geoff,
We were there this time last year stayed at Lincoln NP in a section called Fishermans point I think. Quite a few areas to camp some newly done up and older ones. All had drop toilets but thats all. We had a fire for cooking every night. Great spot right above nice swimming and driving beach. Go out and find some Razor fish at low tide and cook them up on the plate for dinner. If like us, have no idea about them, or as it seems anybody not from SA ask a local or just watch them out in the water. Maybe google razor fish.
I don't remember any camping in Coffin Bay NP but great swimming beaches. Can camp in town in caravan park.

Have fun

Dazza
AnswerID: 478941

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 20:11

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 20:11
Thanks Dazza.

We're looking forward to the trip, and appreciate your comments.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 754454

Reply By: skulldug - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 20:25

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 20:25
Geoff,

Love your profile pic. That's one thing I still have to do.

Try free camping and salmon fishing at Drummond Point or in the Coffin Bay NP. Best CP I know of in the area is at Elliston. Fish also at Sheringa.

Great part of SA.

Skull
AnswerID: 478946

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 07:36

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 07:36
Thanks Skull.

Thanks for the information. The photo is from the Serengitti NP in Tanzania - we did a safari that was fantastic. Make the effort to get over there - you won't be disappointed.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 754462

Reply By: Dave... Adelaide (SA - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 20:54

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 20:54
G'day Geoff
Being an ex Pt Lincolner we spent many a day camping in the Coffin Bay National Park....If you don't want to travel to far into the park there is a good camp ground at Yangi Bay, or if you want to venture further in there is a superb camp ground at a place called Black Springs, there are toilets there and an excellent swimming beach, also great for maybe catching a whiting or 2...Further on again you have a camp ground not far from Pt Sir Isaacs, also with toilets, Beach and fishing .....l could go on and on....... If you want you can let me know your email addy and send you a phone number that you can contact me on.

Cheers...... Borgy
AnswerID: 478947

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 07:39

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 07:39
Thanks Borgy,

Thanks for the information. We're looking forward to checking out the area.
My email address is geoff.martin@loyyangb.com.

Thanks, Geoff
FollowupID: 754464

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 21:22

Tuesday, Feb 28, 2012 at 21:22
Geoff
WhenI camped in Lincolin NP, I stayed at Spalding Cove, but there is no amenities. If going up the western coast, Elliston has the cliff top sculpture drive plus good fishing. Heading up another 70 km is Talia caves which are caves in the shore cliff face. Further north is Murphys Hay Stacks an amazing rock out crop,across from there is the Point Labatt cons Park where there is a large seal colony. When coming down the east side theres a town called Ungarra which is off the Lincolin Hwy, near there is a tank called Moodys Tank which is a large water tank which was used for the steam railway. The water is harvested from a huge flat rock with channelling around it to feed the tank. Ask for directions in town. If travelling back to Vic from Streaky Bay via the Eyre Hwy north of Minnipa is Pildappa Rock,its the same as wave rock in WA only smaller and it has free camping with amenities.
Have a good trip.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 478949

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 07:40

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 07:40
Thanks Murray for the great information and taking the time to respond.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 754465

Reply By: Pouchey - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 22:07

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 22:07
Geoff
Have you checked the Find Camps & Caravan Parks section under Places from the Explore Oz site , you will find a few good spots on there link below to Yangie

Site Link
AnswerID: 479020

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 08:05

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 08:05
Thanks Pouchey, I've had a quick look but I'll investigate further. Thanks for your reply.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 754537

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 11:55

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 11:55
Hi Geoff
We stay in the Pt Lincoln Nat Park every time we go.
We stay at cape Donnington (September Beach) on the raised camping sites
These sites are suitable for a van or trailer or yent. Best of all there is only room for one of what you have c/w a tug.
Beach is magnificent and fishing is pretty good too.

Enjoy
Geoff
AnswerID: 479195

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:42

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:42
Thanks for your reply Geoff

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 754650

Reply By: Member - cherrywipe - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 23:06

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 23:06
Hi Geoff,
Just bought Australian road trips from app store for 5$,has lot of info for Lincoln Nat Park &Coffin Bay park as well. I have recently moved from Port Lincoln to Qld and know that area well,so the info is spot on. Enjoy the west coast it is a great place. I sure miss it.
Joe.
AnswerID: 479241

Sponsored Links