Cobourg and Gove Peninsular

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 21:51
ThreadID: 92199 Views:2064 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundMy wife and I are heading to Cobourg in June (permits all arranged). I am considering also Gove. Any comments on either would be fantastic. We may have a boat while at Cobourg. Is there much to do at Gove by road or is travel limited? Has anyone done the tour to Injalak Hill near Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) and if so is it worth it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 22:50

Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012 at 22:50
Hi Angelo

Can't really comment on where you are going but as far as other comments are concerned new rear suspension would be a good start

Mate has the same set up but with a Trayon Camper and has ARB 400suspension
and the truck sits level.

Have a great trip

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 479025

Follow Up By: Member - Angelo P (SA) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:10

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:10
Hi Teza. Disagree with that one. It is actually the level of the road. The truck actually sits flat fully loaded. I thought the same thing when I took the photo. the suspension I have is fantastic. Wouldn't change it for anything. It took a while to get right.
FollowupID: 754600

Follow Up By: Member - Angelo P (SA) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:36

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:36
I found another photo that probably shows it better. all smoke and mirrors. I am having trouble loading it so will give it another go later.
FollowupID: 754611

Follow Up By: Member - Angelo P (SA) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 21:13

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 21:13
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 754615

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 00:31

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 00:31
Having been to both places(a while back) I was very dissapointed in Cobourg as there were far too many restrictions as to where you can or cannot go.So much so l left days before my permit expired-so did some other campers.Having a boat may improve things a bit but in my opinion Gove is a far better option with a lot of unrestricted drives along the coast.Remember that I do not think you can get a permit to go across the top from Cobourg to Gove so you will have to backtrack.Also you will find the roads are not nearly as bad as some people make out if you go June to August.Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 479033

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 06:49

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 06:49
Things must have changed alot since we were at Cobourg last. Plenty to do and see, a boat trip down to Victoria Settlement was a day out, crabbing at low tide down south a bit, a drive around the swamps, fishing off the point and out the front in a boat. Most campers meet down on the wharf with esky for a bit of night fishing every night. BBQ on the beach to cook crabs and fish caught that day.

Gove was for me only an overnighter when I came in by boat.
FollowupID: 754532

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 08:19

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 08:19
Have to agree with the comments on Coburg, we've been twice, the fist time in the early 90's when there was a large boat that did day trips to Victoria Settlement and fishing trips offshore. There was also a small shop that sold fuel and basic supplies.
We stayed ten days and had a great time, so much so we returned a few years later to find the store had shut, no fuel available, tracks and roads were even rougher than the first time, more restrictions were in place, no ranger guided tours to places of interest, bush tucker etc and the place was getting run down.
Also no boat available for tours to Victoria Settlement or fishing trips.
Unless you are into marine fishing activities and have a large trailer boat over 14' then activities are restricted to landbased.
Gove is a far better destination with a much wider range of activities, campsites and country to explore as well as fishing and boating if you want.
You cannot get a permit to travel across from Oenpelli to Gove, must travel in from near Mataranka. It is a pretty good road most of the way but there are a couple of deepish river crossings depending on the weather of course, over 700 k's each way and you are only allowed to camp in designated spots along the road. It is too far for one day in my opinion. No caravans are allowed and while we took a hardfloor camper it was frowned on. Be very careful on the top half of the road, in fact all the roads around Gove, as they use bauxite waste (little round balls of rock) on the road and it is extremely slippery, so much so it is near impossible to walk in the soft stuff off the wheel tracks.
Gove has the normal shops that any small mining town has.
AnswerID: 479041

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 09:01

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 09:01
94 when we first went in to Coburg by vehicle. went to Victoria Settlement by Patrol Boat in 69.
FollowupID: 754540

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 15:18

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 15:18
Was there last year and tend to agree, unless you have access to a boat, Coburg may be a struggle for a long stay.

Recommend the art gallery at Gunbalanya.

If you head to Gove, do a bit of research first and I would recommend booking permits etc ahead of time. There are two organizations Dhirmurru and Lirrwi to have a look at. From memory Dhirmurru manage the permits in around Nhulunbuy.

Last year I contacted Craig Hodges at Lirrwi before we arrives and he was great, helping us to organise ourselves and ensure we could get out and about. Definitely worth an email.

Also, the art gallery at Yirrkala was excellent. All in all, we had a cracking time in and around Nhulunbuy.

Plan ahead and your will have a great time. Also, check when they think the main road in will be open. It was in July sometime last year so that may cause a challenge.

Michael A
AnswerID: 479091

Follow Up By: Member - Angelo P (SA) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:17

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 20:17
Hi all.
Thanks for the comments and advice. I figured there wouldn't be heaps of activity at Cobourg without a boat but hopefully one of us will have one. Other than that, it's just one of those places I have wanted to go. I have driven 100's of kms without a lot at the end many times. Sit back and relax. Watch the crocs go by.......
In the event we don't have a boat does anyone know what the land based fishing might be like? I don't expect there to be too much.
Good info about Gove as I haven't done much research as yet. Actually only considered it last night. We are away for about 7 weeks so will probably have time.
Doing the entire Binns track as well.
I just received an email from Venture North Tours who run tours out of Cobourg for fishing and general sightseeing. That will be another option for us as long as we are happy to put the hand in the pocket.
FollowupID: 754605

Reply By: lizard - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 17:47

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 17:47
Yes - too many restrictions , we left a day early from what we had paid for , won't be going back.
AnswerID: 479098

Sponsored Links