Still confused on solar....

Hi there again. I have asked before, but I still need some insight on the whole solar charging thing. I have just purchased a 100 watt system, with a Sun Saver controller. I need to run an Engel MT45, some LED strip lights and charge a portable DVD player, all wired up to 2 x 6Volt batts that have 100 amp hours. Now my question is, what happens when the batteries are fully charged? Do I just remove the anderson plug from the batteries, or does it go into some trickle charge? Yes, I am a little slow when it comes to electrics, can anyone assist?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:05
The Morningstar Sun Saver Controller specs identify a multi-stage charging process, so when the batteries have reached full charge, the controller will provide a maintenance charging process. (float mode)

Therefore, there is no need to remove the connection cables as the batteries will not be overcharged. The connections can be left in place indefinitely.

In practice, the batteries will become partially discharged overnight, assuming the fridge is left on, then during daylight hours, the solar panels will (hopefully) return the batteries to a full, or near full charge, depending on the amount of full sunlight available.

A 100 watt panel should be able to maintain the batteries running the MT45 "indefinitely" while stationary.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479120

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:07

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:07
Hi,

this particular solar regulator doesn't offer multistage charging.
But your smallish solar panel won't come up with much spare energy so the amount of over-charge will be small, if any.
I'd be more worried about under-charging the batteries in this setup.
Therefore I recommend to connect a multimeter/voltmeter across the battery terminals to get an idea about their approximate state of charge.
You may have to find an alternative way of charging for those overcast days, or disconnect the fridge for a while if that's at all possible.

cheers, Peter
AnswerID: 479121

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:14

Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:14
Hi Nootsa, Just leave it connected, the controller will regulate the power to the battery. I am not familiar with the Sun Saver brand, but with what your running, you will have to have sun all day to get them charged fully.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479124

Reply By: eighty matey - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 06:28

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 06:28
Hi nootsa,

We have a similar set up with a similar load. We leave it hooked up while we are in camp and we haven't had any problems.

Steve
AnswerID: 479150

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:51

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:51
Hi Nootsa, I think you need to specify EXACTLY which Sunsaver model you have. Some models go into trickle charge and some don't.Check the Sunsaver website for specifics and then believe what the official website says for your specific model. Cheers
AnswerID: 479160

Follow Up By: nootsa200873 - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 21:26

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 21:26
Hi Ian,
the model is Sunsaver Controller 20 amp. Does this help?
FollowupID: 754689

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 17:31

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 17:31
Hi Nootsa, try this link to Morningstar website and technical manual
http://www.energymatters.com.au/morningstar-sunsaver-20-12volt-20amp-regulator-with-lvd-p-389.html
(copy the link and paste it into your browser)
Cheers
FollowupID: 754739

Reply By: Member - nick b - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:45

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:45
Still confused on solar.... Me to nootsa..... regarding under charge.

A good friend has a primus 60L fridge & priums 80W solar panel and he tells me that it keeps battery fully charged .

Also if its got a regulator then that should be that surely !!!!

cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479185

Sponsored Links