Positioning a Remote Head UHF in the new BT50

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 01, 2012 at 22:19
ThreadID: 92218 Views:10123 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Folks,
I'm keen to hear from anyone who has already added a remote head UHF radio to their new Mazda BT50. I'verecently bought the XTR Dual Cab and I'm considering installing a new GME TX3420 unit.

Where was the radio placed and what measures were taken to achieve this?

Where was the microphone positioned ?

A description and photos would be a big help

Is the installation an easy task for an adventurous home mechanic, or should it be left to an expert ?

Many thanks in anticipation of some helpful responses.
Cheers,
Netnut
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 3 Boys and a Lady - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:36

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:36
G'day,

Not sure if you have an overhead unit. But we have a 100 series land cruiser and wanted to roof mount our radio but have a professional job done without the huge overhead console. We found a very talented young man at autobahn in mcgregor in Brisbane on kessels road. He mounted our radio with two led map lights in a small unintrusive unit. Wired the mic through the back of the dash and mounted it where we wanted it. Awesome job looks great. If ever in the area ask for Glenn or Joel mention us and they will look after you and listen to what you want. Which is very rare these days. Good luck.
AnswerID: 479156

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 16:28

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 16:28
Hey Netnut,
I am not sure if you've actualy bought the 3420 as yet ?

I was thinking it was a remote like my Uniden 7760, but a quick Google images search showed the secondary head unit.

Some of my install in my Ranger might work for you, and you might even consider the GME 3340 unit, similar to mine if it is easier to fit.

I mounted the radio to the right hand side on my console, and it's well out of the way in any driving position etc.

The aerial cable was easy to put through the firewal with the wiring.

The extension cable to the mic went over the trans tunnel, and the mic position is easy to get to by driver and pax and not in the way of the pax.

I have a cable that goes form the ext speaker jack to audio input, so sound can be put through car speakers for excellent clarity.

Looking at the head unit the mic is attached to, if you go with the 3420 this might go ok just above the rearview mirror.
On the Ranger, and suspect the Mazda, there may be a nice thick chunky section of hood lining there to afix to, but then you need to ensure mic can hang there, not obscuring vision, and need to run cables under hood lining down one side to wire up.

Got to admit, there weren't many options with the Ranger for the mounting of the unit or mic, didn't want to use the console storage as my camera fits nicely in there and stays put ok.

Maybe the Mazda has more places, not sure how the interior trims differ.

AnswerID: 479217

Follow Up By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:48

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 20:48
Hello Les,
Thanks for the comprehensive information. I haven't bought a radio yet; your post has given me food for thought. Much appreciated !
Cheers,
Netnut
FollowupID: 754951

Sponsored Links