Clockwise or Anti Clockwise around oz

Submitted: Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 11:16
ThreadID: 92230 Views:2068 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We are currently into our 3rd wk of our 12 month lap of OZ and because of the bad weather we are at Ballarat waiting for the rain to pass and then to see what the road conditions are like before heading off.
We are heading towards Qld via Young , Forbes Tamworth then up the Newell Hwy into Qld , arrive at Tennant Creek approx 2nd wk June
We are now thinking perhaps we should consider changing the direction of travel to the following due to the wet weather.
SA , WA arrive in Broome by 2nd week in June then do the territory before going into Qld mid Sept then back to NSW.

Would love any feed back if our alternative plan is an better option?. Is there any issues traveling clockwise around oz vs anti clockwise.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eighty matey - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:00

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:00
Hi,

I believe you would be better to take Plan B.

There is a lot of water around the proposed route through NSW and Qld at this point in time.

There is going to be a fair bit of road damage and many side tracks are closed. Even heading up the middle (through Alice Springs) has it's own issues at this time.

Heading west might give the eastern States a chance to dry out before you visit.

Enjoy yourself, whichever way you go.

eighty matey
AnswerID: 479196

Follow Up By: Member - Daschin around - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:38

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:38
Hi eighty matey

The more I am looking at the weather heading for NSW & Qld the more I am convienced to do plan B.
I have heard that you get a head wind across the Nullabor Plains going clockwise not sure if this is correct?

Cheers
Daschin around
FollowupID: 754657

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:20

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:20
Hi Daschin Around,
You can get headwinds on the Nullabor no matter which way you travel.
Last time I drove across I had head winds both ways, but the time before that I was lucky and had tailwinds both ways.

You have to take it as it comes, but be prepared for higher fuel consumption if you are driving into it.
I found that start early and stop early was worth doing if there were headwinds.

Disco.
FollowupID: 754683

Follow Up By: Member - Daschin around - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:25

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:25
Hi Disco

Now I know that you ca get the head winds both ways I will keep my fingers crossed and maybe I will get lucky.
Thanks for the heads up about early start and finish to help fuel consumption.

Cheers
Daschin Around
FollowupID: 754684

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:16

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:16
When we did our big lap, we went clockwise around, leaving Victoria about now. All the way we had good weather, a bit af rain in the SW of WA for a couple of days.

But as you can see things change year to year. And as stated the roads up north have taken a pounding, so going left about maybe a best option.
AnswerID: 479206

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:50

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:50
Zig zag. North in winter and south in summer - that way you get to see the middle too.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 479210

Follow Up By: Member - Daschin around - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 15:02

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 15:02
Hi Motherhen

I know you would have traveled extensively so very interested in your feedback about Zig Zag across , can you elaborate more for me as we are very new at traveling around Oz
I agree north for winter and south for summer and there is no way I will be missing the middle on this trip

Cheers
Daschin
FollowupID: 754663

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 16:04

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 16:04
Hi Daschin

I depends on whether you have and flexibility to extend your time frame or not, the areas which are your highest priorities, and if it is a once in a lifetime trip or just a taste for the future. Twelve months will 'do a lap' but won't get you into all regions, let alone do them justice. Easy to go between north and south with little duplication of roads if responding to the weather. Hard to get the Red Centre in without doing this. We have not had the time to do it all at once, but have managed a few trips without a great deal of route duplication. The most duplication has been seven drives on the Nullarbor, and all were all enjoyable. But that is because we live 'over the other side' of the country down in the SW corner. You choices will be greatly expanded if your rig is dirt road capable. I hope that helps you plan. Not being in the ES I can't advise about how badly or for how long roads will be cut.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754670

Follow Up By: Member - Daschin around - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:35

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:35
Hi Motherhen

Unfortunately we only have 12 months for this trip thought we would do it know and not wait as you never know what could happen in life. We are hoping to do a lot more travel down the track to pick up he places we miss this time around
The van we have is not an off road rig but will do dirt roads if they are not to rough.
I guess this does restrict us a little on were we can go but take what you have mentioned on board

I appreciate your feedback
Daschin Around
FollowupID: 754685

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:41

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 20:41
Hi Daschin

If you take a tent and be able to camp out away from the caravan, you can get into a lot more special places. Enjoy what you see, and don't worry if you don't get right the way around the block. Far better to have a great time than think - well we did the big lap.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 754686

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 21:41

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 21:41
Don't think that the Nullarbor is the only place that you will get head winds. On a circuit of Australia you will mainly be travelling over wide expanses of flat ground that the wind will often blow over at gale force. If you watch weather patterns the Nullarbor is fairly predictable. You might need to wait for a couple of days at the eastern end until a front has gone through but then you will probably get a good run.
We went Brisbane to Brisbane travelling clockwise and took 4 1/2 months and we saw a huge amount of the country and had good stops in all the main places. You will see most that you want to in 12 months unless you are among those who like to spend a week beside every billabong that they see.
But you will love it no matter which way you go.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479235

Follow Up By: Member - Daschin around - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:23

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:23
Hi Kevin S

You make some valid points in your comments , thank you!
We are looking forward to our travels and were ever we go it will be fantastic and an adventure we have looked forward to for a very long time.

Cheers
Daschin around
FollowupID: 754711

Sponsored Links