Primus 55lt duo fridge

Submitted: Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:14
ThreadID: 92238 Views:5397 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys and girls,

So ive been looking at fridges for a while and this one keeps standing out to me. Just have a few questions.

Just so you know it will only ever really be and my partner camping. We will generally be in one spot for about 3-4 days but sometimes more and we would prefer not to have to continuously head into town to by food etc so we will be brining enough meat etc for the trip with us.

Firstly do people think we will need a freezer? I didn't think so at first but I'm a little bit concerned about storing meat in a fridge for in excess of 4 days (steak, sausages, mines etc).

Secondly will that size fridge compartment (31ltrs) big sufficient for two people? We will generally be using the fridge for beer, milk, some juice, butter and eggs (with all the meat kept in the freezer compartment).

Thirdly, from anyone who has this fridge, are you happy with it in terms of size and performance?

Any help would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: True Blue - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 16:51

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 16:51
For the duration of 3-4+ days camping between restocking of foods stuffs, my wife and I have found a 'fridge' only to be more than enough for our requirements. We have never wished for a freezer.
We have had 50L Waeco and 40L Engel fridges and my suggestions would be that primarily you have enough room in your fridge and that you have sufficient battery power to maintain the required temperature over the course of your stays. This capacity was more than enough for the both of us.

Notwithstanding that the 50L and 40L fridges were big enough, we have just prior to xmas purchased a 60L Primus fridge. We probably don't need this much space but hey it's better to have too much than not enough I think and are extremely satisfied with the performance of it. Our Primus is powered by a second battery (100amp/h AGM) fitted into the rear of our Prado which is recharged by the vehicles alternator. Full longer stays we have a 120w solar panel which can charge the second battery directly. This panel provides more power to the second battery than the fridge is capable of drawing.

Lastly, we have found that if you can vacuum seal (cryovac?) your meat, or any foodstuffs for that matter, it will not only reduce your fridge space requirements but also extend the period of time before there is any food spoilage. For example, about 10 yrs ago we had our first trip to the Flinders Ranges with our Waeco 50L fridge and vacuum sealed our meat in meal size portions. Not only did it last the full 2 weeks , we were still using it when we returned home.

The vacuum seal units are fantastic for this purpose and you can purchase them from many outlets these days. Aldi had them for $70+ a couple of weeks ago.

Hoping that this long winded reply is of some assistance to you.

Cheers and happy travels

Wayne and Julie

AnswerID: 479218

Reply By: Member - Porl - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 07:17

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 07:17
Rent one similar size and test it. It's only what you eat that will make it too small too big or the right size.

Give up the meat for a few days and you can live without one or maybe a smaller one - vegetable dahl and rice or cous cous etc do not need refrigeration, cans of tomatoes pasta and dried herbs and tinned fish do not need refrigeration, soba noodles soy sauce and ginger don't need refrigeration, plan you meals to suit the size of your fridge.
AnswerID: 479252

Reply By: becboo68 - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:13

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:13
Hi Simon,

I think whether you need a freezer or not and the size is a very individual thing. According to how people like to keep their food and cook it. We don't use a freezer when we go away camping. I cryovac all our meat. You will also find this method keeps the inside of your fridge a lot cleaner with no blood spills.

We have a primus 60l fridge which we bought last year which is awesome. We have previously had Waeco which we had constant problems with. The only thing I changed on the fridge was the cigarette lighter connector (can't remember the name of them!) as the primus one was a bit dodgy now it runs beautifully and with the remote sensor makes it easy to monitor the temperature.

I hope this info helps.
Cheers
Bec
AnswerID: 479367

Sponsored Links