Purchase new 80 ch narrow band CB Dash mount CB or hand held version?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 18:41
ThreadID: 92270 Views:2007 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Members my wife and I are about to do the half lap Melb to central QLD then across top from Mt Isa to Tennant creek and then across to Broome via Fitzroy Xing. Questioni is do we need a Dash mount 80 ch narrow band CBor equivilant hand held portable model??

Regards Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 18:47

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 18:47
Hi Mick, I can't imagine why you would really need either unless travelling in convoy.


My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479310

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 19:04

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 19:04
you will receive and transmit further with the dash mount due to the use of an external antenna. Some hand held radios can attach to an external antenna and this will give you the same range as a dash mount. You don't need the top of the range radio either and can pick them up new for around $300.

I always like GME as they are Australian and as good as you will need, long lasting no hassle units.

I don't go anywhere out of town with out a uhf on. The number of times you will hear about cattle on the road, detours, fires up ahead, accidents, water over the road and the list goes on. Just listen to the trucks as they warn one another about what is up ahead. You can also warn them in advance as well.

Have a good trip,
AnswerID: 479312

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 07:00

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 07:00

Get one of these Click here

Brilliant little radio

Just make sure you get 400-400mhz range
FollowupID: 754805

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 19:32

Saturday, Mar 03, 2012 at 19:32
We allways travel with UHF on scan, with channel 40 (truckies) set as the default channel. Nice to be able to call the trucks up for either passing of for them to pass you.(not that they need an invite to pass).

AnswerID: 479317

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 07:57

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 07:57
I can agree with Allan B to a degree.

If you are travelling on well made and used roads, highways and bitumen then don't bother.

If you are going off-road into remote places then get one of each. The dash one will give you a greater range to call for assistance and the hand held will be very usefull for guiding you out of poblems, like mud and sand if you get stuck. You know the type of instructions "Turn left. - No your other left!!".

AnswerID: 479359

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:51

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:51
I've had a few UHF CB radios over the years and if I was starting again now, I think I'd opt for a quality 5 watt hand held (same power as the in-car type) - the antenna won't be as efficient, but the all round usefulness is hard to beat (BTW - for some models, you can get a second longer antenna to screw on when the occasion requires it). Hand helds can still have a great range. Icom, GME, Uniden etc., are the main brands, but there are others emerging.http://www.prestigecom.net.au/ in WA have deals that are hard to beat - free freight on most too (I have no affiliation with them - just a customer).
AnswerID: 479381

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:54

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:54
Hi Mick,
I would recommend one of each. One in dash unit and a handheld unit and get the max 5 watt allowed for both.

The hand held is terrific when hooking on the van or camper trailer as it saves the raised voices and gets the communication happening without hassles.

A good dash mounted unit is also preferable to listen in for road conditions, talk to other travelers, and for emergencies.
I wouldn't be without one of each, but that is a personable preference, certainly a dash mounted unit is a great help, I find.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 479420

Sponsored Links