Air compressor to pump tyres etc Size capacity etc

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 04:37
ThreadID: 92279 Views:2688 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am heading off shortly to do a loop of the top half of OZ. I have been giving consideration to installing a permanently mounted compressor in the engine bay of my Prado. Purpose being pumping tyres etc cleaning dirt etc during the trip. Any clues on make model size of compressor. the last one I got looked gr8 but was usdeless and couldnt do the job.

We have a caravan and camping show coming up next week in Melb and would like some info b4 parting with my hard earned dollars.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iijmartin - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:10

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:10
Gday MackaMM,
I have a compressor from ABR Sidewinder. Very happy with it. Give Derek a call and see whether they are suitable for mounting in the Prado engine bay.
Ian
AnswerID: 479365

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:23

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:23
You can't go past any of the ARB ones..... ARB has branches and resellers all around Australia so if something happens to you compressor there is a good chance your not far from ARB for parts, repairs and replacement.
AnswerID: 479370

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:32

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:32
Mi mickmci

I have an older ARB unit mounted under the bonnet of my Prado. It has been a great unit and as small as it is, it is very capable of re fitting a tubeless tyre back onto a rim with no problems what so ever. I purchased a new model ARB compressor a couple of years back as a back up when travelling solo and the new model kills the old model for performance.

I still have both, but the size of the new unit would still fit under the bonnet.

I am more than very happy with my ARB compressors.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 479372

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 15:54

Sunday, Mar 04, 2012 at 15:54
Macka,

The main issue with advertisers of compressors is they state litres per minute free flow... that means pumping against nothing.

What you need to look at is litres per minute against 20 psi or even 30 psi.

The ABR unit recommended here is a good unit, I personally have an ARB unit that I brought some years ago, it produces 75 ltrs per minute and 65 ltrs per minute against 20psi.

I notice that apart from being less expensive that the ABR Compressors have a higher air flow and there is also a RAN 120 which has an aire tank, this may be ideal with a van and cleaning?

AnswerID: 479436

Sponsored Links